1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another dreaded P0A80 + P3013 error

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by davemo, Nov 15, 2019.

1. davemo

davemo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2006 with 99600 miles. It has had a bad TPMS for about 4 months (probably totally unrelated, but I know it can send errors to the VSC, and the ECMs all chatter to each other). This summer I got the Master Service Warning, plus VSC, (!), and check engine lights. Had the P0A80 code when I checked. Cleared it and it seemed fine (other than the TPMS error).

It got cold recently, and the same warnings went off. I thought maybe just the same problem. I cleared the codes just to make sure, and they came back this time. Was going to take it in today, but got called into work early. Cleared the codes just on a hope and a prayer that it would be fine and I could deal with it Monday. Nope. Now the fan for the battery vent is running. I have the following codes: P0A80, P3013, C2300, C2318, C2124. The last is the TPMS. The P3013 is block 3 of the hybrid battery (sheds big tears), and the other two C codes are transmission codes (I assume related to the VSC not operating properly because of the other electrical issues?)

Having looked through the other threads, it looks like it is a hybrid battery replacement (or buy a car). It is obviously otherwise low mileage, has new break pads, the 90K service/maintenance a year ago.

Questions: (1) is there anything that I should try to have repaired or replaced to rule out before going to the hybrid battery (I've seen corroded connectors, 12v battery, hybrid battery fan mentioned in some other threads, and just want to make sure there might not be a cheaper fix to rule out)? (2) I'm not planning to keep the car for 8-10 more years but I'm also not going to go the reconditioned battery mode or replacing a single block given the track record being that this is either a short term fix of crap shoot, so any thoughts on the replace the battery vs seeing if a dealer will give me anything towards a new or slightly used Prius?

Thanks!

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not really, it sounds like a new battery is calling.

If you're only driving 8k per year, the savings in gas may not warrant a hybrid vehicle as a relacement. But with a new battery installed, the current hybrid vehicle should last long enough to let a future teenager drive it.

Can you do the HV battery swap yourself?

Are you still a two (2) prius household?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. davemo

davemo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. Sort of, and sort of not: divorced & she got the V. Guess I should update that :)

Now that it is my main driver, it is getting more than 8K a year, but for a while I could walk to work, and we always took the V if it was available. Now, I have a commute & no V.

4. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What used car could you get locally with 100k (known miles), and at what price point?

Since you're not interested in playing whackamole with the HV battery, how about a DIY new battery for 2k'ish? (or less)

Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. davemo

davemo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll probably look to buy something used. I'm wondering if I can get anything for mine with a bad battery? The battery core recycling should be at least worth something
    Nothing close to the cost of replacing the battery. There is a '07 Prius with 9k more miles, for $6k, and I doubt it has a new battery.

Maybe just get mine fixed, then detailed, and pretend it is a new purchase...

6. strawbrad

strawbrad http://minnesotahybridbatteries.com

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II

I'd be happy to buy your car in it's current condition.

Iowa is just a nice day trip for me.

7. davemo

davemo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, but got it fixed. $2,600 at the dealer was better than I expected from other posts.

strawbrad likes this.