1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another EGR/Intake/something shaking problem

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by cgcope1, Aug 2, 2019.

1. cgcope1

cgcope1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    this is my first post here and I really need help. I've read every thread about this that I can find and I still can't figure it out.

2011 Prius with 180k miles. Recently started shaking only at start up and only some of the time. Threw a code once and it was a misfire and coil 2 failure. Toyota charged me 300 bucks and 3 days later it started again but this time on every start up of the car for about 15 seconds. I watched nutzaboutboltz video and cleaned the intake manifold and little holes above which none of which were bad. I also cleaned the egg cooler which also wasn't that bad considering this is the first time I have done this.

Anyway, that was a month ago exactly and it ran great till 3 days ago it started back but a little different. It still does it every time I start the car but now it shakes bad while driving and any time it switches over to the gas engine. It lurches and doesn't really catch for a few seconds then it is fine once I'm over about 12mph.

I figured it wasn't the egr system since I had just cleaned that but when I disconnected the sensor under the hood it started with barely half a second of a rattle then ran fine. I drove it unconnected down the road a mile and back and it ran fine. Connected egr and the shaking is back worse than ever.

I took everything back apart and the intake was clean except for a bit of oil oil the bottom and the egr cooler also was still very clean so I have no idea what the problem is or what to do. If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Caleb

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    any water in the oil?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. Pseudonymm

Pseudonymm New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What did the dealer do with those 3 days and $300?
    Did you clean the Egr valve as well as the cooler?
    If it runs better with the valve disconnected, maybe that's the problem (I think stuck Egr valves are covered in some kind of warranty enhancement). You can test the valve with Techstream, I believe, if you feel like fiddling with that.

I'm just guessing here, with no experience of your particular problem.