1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another Engine Light (P0401) question

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by PathW, May 11, 2015.

1. PathW

PathW Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There was already a discussion on this general topic, but I have a slightly different question.

2010 Prius, 103000 miles, bought it in January, so only responsible for 2000 miles, and don't know much about how it was driven earlier. (Working fine for us though - between 50-56 mpg on my commute of a mix of in-town and highway-like driving.)

a) Engine Light came on; Autozone read this as P0401; Read up on this - lots of reasons that this could be triggered.

b) Took it to dealer service department (who have been competent and seemingly trustworthy up to now). Their response was to replace the EGR valve, and possibly the intake manifold if there has been damage (TBD).

Back story - driving this vehicle right after purchase (180 mile road trip to bring it home), the engine light came on right at the end, and it was this same code. The mechanic we took it to was not competent to service a Prius (lots of silly suggestions), and we eventually took it to the dealer service department to have the things that needed to be repaired repaired. The light was reset by the first mechanic, and never came on again, until now, almost 4 months later.

So, the light is off at the moment, as we told the dealer that we wanted to think about if/when to schedule the repair. If the light stays off, are we good, or are we ignoring something that wil increase the cost of repair down the road? I do not have the space, tools, or skills to get into the engine and check this out myself, looking for carbon deposits and the like. Do I have any other options, either things that I can try myself or explicit instructions to a mechanic to try before replacing the EGR valve.

Thanks.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What is it that was repaired by the dealer the first time around?
    Are you in a state that is exempt from getting smog checks?

You should first start by cleaning out your throttle body and MAF sensor. Then pour in a nice bottle of Techron fuel injector cleaner. That's less than $20 and it

3. PathW

PathW Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Original repairs were unrelated. We had to buy this without a "user car inspection", but didn't get burned too bad. Lots of dead bulbs (first mechanic thought the wiring harness was at fault), misinstalled headlight that led to some overheating and needed to be replaced, skid pan (engine splash shield?) was broken and needed to be replaced.

No smog tests (in Tennessee).

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    To check the EGR valve condition, you might try removing the pipe between it and the intake manifold. This is harder than it needs to be, due to an extra plastic clip blocking access to the pipe's connection at intake manifold end.

But doable, either by yourself or a mechanic.

The state of the inside of that pipe will help determine the EGR clogging amount. The system is known to clog as miles accumulate.

Magnuz likes this.
  5. R2T2

R2T2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have a similar problem. Engine light is on and tripping error code p0401. I have a 2010 Prius with 160k miles, that I just purchased a month ago.This is my first Prius, so I am just learning about it. The engine light came on several days after I purchased the car and produced this same error code.
    I am not in a state that requires emission tests, but bought it in a state that requires emission testing.
    I took it to the local dealer and the dealer read the same code and wanted $545 plus tax to replace egr valve assembly. Ouch.
    I cleaned the EGR pipe from the egr valve to the intake manifold to determine it's condition and it was almost completely clogged with carbon, per the suggestion from Mendel Leisk in another post. Very helpful. Thanks.
    I had the error code reset by a local mechanic, but later that same day, it came back on.
    I am not very mechanically inclined, but decided to buy the egr valve online and put it on myself, thinking that if the pipe was that clogged, the valve was probably full too. So I purchased a new egr valve (genuine Toyota). I had a problem getting the valve disconnected from the egr cooler. But finally got it off and the new valve on the car.
    Yesterday I had the error code deleted by a local mechanic and drove it. Later in the day the check engine light came back on again. Bummer. I called another mechanic that I know who is 3 hours away to get his input. I am going to try his suggestion next. He said it could be the gas cap or it could be the DPFE sensor. He suggested I try the gas cap first, since it doesn't cost much and then if that doesn't work, maybe the sensor. (I am not sure where the DPFE sensor is.)
    He asked, "When you remove the gas cap, does it poof a little? I said, "No, it really doesn't." In other cars when I would remove the gas cap, some pressure would have built up and I could hear the pressure being released. In this vehicle in does not do that. Also, when the error light first started coming on, I began to notice it came on when I had driven about 100 miles. I would then removed the gas cap and put it back on making sure it clicked one time. After driving it two or three more times it would go off. I would then full up with gas, and sure enough about 100 miles after filling up the check engine light would come on.
    So, I am wondering if my gas cap may be the culprit. I do believe my egr valve and pipe needed cleaning, and the car seems to run smoother and the engine doesn't seem to be strained. So, I am glad I had that fixed.
    I will try to keep you posted on what I find out.

6. R2T2

R2T2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    So, my P0401 error code seems to be the gas cap. I replaced it this morning. Drove about 50 miles in two drive cycles. Got back in the car a 3rd time and the check engine light did not come back on. I have driven it twice now with no check engine light. It was a $22 gas cap from the Toyota dealer. I don't know if that is your problem or not. The dealer service department person told me bluntly that this was not my problem and I was wasting my money buying this part. If the gas cap was the problem it would produce another a different error code. But, for my case, that doesn't appear true. I will keep driving it and we'll see.

7. PathW

PathW Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks R2T2. Very interesting. My Check Engine light came back on after a few days, and, after reading some more advice around the web, decided to trust the service department and had them order a new EGR valve (and associated gaskets). However, today, the Check Engine light went off again (2 days after it came on). I didn't even know that these would go off without being reset, so I am not sure what this means. Sounds like you have seen the same behavior though. I did refill the tank after the light came back on, so perhaps I have the same issue as you. I'll keep that in mind. I'm not sure what to do about the valve. I may just hold onto it while I poke around some more. My egr replacement cost will be around $100 more than what you were quoted, and 40% of that is labor (based on the quote).

Prius_Angie likes this.
  8. R2T2

R2T2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have been told conflicting information on the check engine light going off. A service tech at the Toyota dealer said that for the check engine light to go off, someone has to erase it with a scanner device. It will not go off by itself. I had a guy at the local auto parts store that if you fix the problem, like I seemed to with the gas cap, it will take 3 or 4 driving cycles. It will take this many cycles for the car computer to be convinced that the problem really is solved and will turn the check engine light off.
    I don't know if it goes off in all situations, but the light went off the 3rd time I drove the car after two 20-30 minute drives.
    Yes, for me too, the egr valve I believe was an issue. I would also make sure they clean out the egr pipe that goes from the egr valve to the intake manifold. Mine was almost full of carbon. I will try to post a picture so you can see, if interested.

20150424_093819-001.jpg

#8 R2T2, May 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2015
  9. R2T2

R2T2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Check engine light is back on. P0401. The gas cap didn't fix my problem.

Prius_Angie likes this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    From the ridiculous amount of clogging your picture shows, I wonder: how far did you go with the clean up: could it be in the intake manifold, or fouled injectors?

This seems crazy, btw. A poor design.

11. R2T2

R2T2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have cleaned the egr pipe between the egr valve and intake manifold, and replaced egr valve with new one. I had the intake manifold cleaned. Mechanic thought there might be backflow of oil from around the seals coming back into the intake manifold. He said the intake manifold was real sticky. He changed my oil and added Lucas engine seal lubricant (Don't remember the precise name of the Lucas product.). It doesn't seem to be using as much oil now. Gone about 1400 miles since oil change and seems to have used about 1/4 quart. Before oil change it used about 1 quart in a 1000 miles. I don't know about the injectors. I have had the car about 2-3 months. I have put chevron concentrate plus in as an additive several times. Don't know if that is helping or not. I am thinking it is worth a try.

Mechanic wondered about a mass air flow sensor may be a problem giving the P0401 error code.

Prius_Angie likes this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    MAF sensor is very easy to access, two screws and electrical connector. It's central in this pic:

image.jpg

There's a specific cleaner for it, and carb cleaner shouldn't be substituted; the latter may leave oil residue. One guru here used isopropanol I believe. Again, just the 99% stuff, not rubbing alcohol which has oil. Oh heck, get the right stuff, lol. From dealership?

I've no inclination to do ours yet, the car is very low miles, as you can judge from the clean pic. :)

Attached Files:

Prius_Angie likes this.
  13. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How was the intake manifold cleaned? Was it removed so that the passages could be cleaned out with solvent? If not maybe that is necessary.

The repair manual suggests the EGR valve, EGR passage, "EGR with cooler pipe" <whatever that means, another Japanese to English translation which is not obvious to me>, or the manifold absolute pressure sensor are possible causes of the P0401 code.

The code is logged when the engine ECU detects little difference in manifold pressure as the EGR valve opens and closes while the car is moving forward and the accelerator pedal is released which cuts fuel supply to the engine.

#13 Patrick Wong, Jun 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
    Prius_Angie likes this.
  14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There's the EGR cooler sub-assembly, with a pipe coming off it. I'd guess this is the cooler pipe.

Capture.JPG

Prius_Angie and Patrick Wong like this.
  15. R2T2

R2T2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I will try that. Thanks for the attachment instructions.

16. R2T2

R2T2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I am pretty sure the intake manifold cover was removed and cleaned with solvent of some kind. The mechanic just mentioned it was sticky with the oil and carbon mixture and he cleaned that.

Yes, I have cleaned the EGR passage. and replaced the egr valve. But the EGR cooler pipe is way beyond my skill level to replace. From my understanding, the cooler is connected to the egr valve and is behind it, with a coolant hose or hoses going to it. I have not replaced that.

Your "code is logged" description makes sense, but I don't know what to make of it with my car. For instance, the check engine light went off and stayed off for 2 weeks. I just decided to drive the Prius, just like I would any other non-hybrid. I didn't try to start from a stop light or stop sign on battery as long as possible; I didn't try to hyper-mile. Just drove it irregardless of the mpg. So, I was using the gas engine more.

Then a couple of days ago I was driving down a two lane back road, hyper-miling, going about 35 miles an hour for a while. It was then the light came back on and has stayed on. I have since driven it hard on the interstate - up and down hills - about 200 miles. The check engine light has stayed on.

Is the manifold pressure sensor the same as the vacuum switch sensor ? Is the mass air flow sensor a different sensor as well, or is it the same as the manifold pressure sensor or vacuum switch sensor? I have also been told it could be the vacuum switch sensor. But am confused in trying to research it.

Prius_Angie likes this.
  17. R2T2

R2T2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

Okay, I understand what you are saying. The cooler pipe is different than the egr cooler connected to the back of the egr valve.

Prius_Angie likes this.
  18. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The intake manifold is a black plastic assembly. This would not be easy to remove.

The 35 mph speed and pulse and glide driving is exactly what would cause the EGR light to go on if the system has a problem. A speed of 25 - 37 mph for more than five minutes, and then releasing the accelerator pedal for more than 5 seconds, is the driving pattern suggested by the repair manual when troubleshooting the system.

The mass air flow sensor detects the flow and temperature of air entering the engine intake. This is located above the throttle body assembly.

The manifold absolute pressure sensor is mounted to the intake manifold and detects the pressure within the manifold. This is downstream from the throttle plate, so the sensor is exposed to engine vacuum produced when the engine is spinning while the throttle plate is closed.

I am not aware of a vacuum switch sensor as part of the Prius engine management system.

Maybe you should remove and clean the manifold absolute pressure sensor, which requires removing the air cleaner housing for access.

Prius_Angie likes this.
  19. R2T2

R2T2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes, very clean in that picture. Impressive. I purchased some mass airflow sensor cleaner. Took the mass airflow sensor off. Sprayed the cleaner. Will now see if that does anything different. Thanks again.

Prius_Angie likes this.
  20. R2T2

R2T2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thank you for the advice and help. I am running out of time for today and will try to clean that soon. Again, thank you for sharing your knowledge.

Prius_Angie likes this.