1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another fail for Entune

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by azjerry, Aug 26, 2018.

1. azjerry

azjerry Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just went for a quick drive to pickup some takeout. I forgot to take my phone. Since I was listening to Pandora the previous timeinthe car, it tried to connect again. Of course, that failed. I couldn't find a way to change the audio source, like back to radio. Did I miss something?

2. CamryDriver

CamryDriver Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I had something similar happen. I tried one of the options that required additional setup and couldn't back out of it. I don't remember which option or how I got out of it. I think I had to disconnect and reconnect from the phone end. Not sure what you would do if you didn't have your phone...

3. azjerry

azjerry Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There is an option I forgot about: Pressing the mode button on the steering wheel cycles through the various modes (AM, FM, Bluetooth, installed apps, etc). Unfortunately, no way to correct the situation on the unit itself which is where most people would look first.

4. CamryDriver

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just got a mobile phone with data so I'm checking out Entune and Scout Link for the first time. I'm very underwhelmed. Tonight was the first time trying Scout Link. Evidently no maps are available on Bluetooth, just turn by turn directions. Good thing I didn't really need directions back to my own house because that stupid thing would have had me lost for sure.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, ScoutGPS Link requires a hardwire connection for the moving map to show up on the screen. A bluetooth connection only shows the list of instructions (turn-by-turn navigation).

6. azjerry

azjerry Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't get excited by the possibility of moving maps when using a USB cable. The Scout app sucks to put it mildly. Using two different phones, Scout locks up requiring a restart of the vehicle, voice searching that has never worked, etc. I deleted Scout from our phones and the Entune setup in the car. You're better off getting a Garmin or mounting your phone on the dash and using Google Maps there.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah I've only dealt with Toyota's in-house nav (Denso). The Garmin-lookalike Display Audio from 2012-2014/15 was a 3rd party as is ScoutGPS. While people do complain about Toyota's own nav, I find it more usable than the 3rd party ones that they offer. This is coming from a person who has been using a TomTom since 2006 (still have it!)

8. CamryDriver

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I got a few things straightened out with Scout Link.

First of all I finally got maps (rather than just turn by turn directions) by scrounging up a USB-C cable. That helped a lot.

I was getting bad directions before because I unknowingly input the wrong address. This is partly because of a nearly duplicate physical address that only differs from my own by one letter but is a mile down the road.

The other half of the fault Scout Link's odd naming scheme. The correct Scout Link address for my physical address names a completely different town that I've never heard of so I rather assumed it was not my address but it was.

Got that all sorted and so far Scout Link works okay. Not so good that the Scout Link people will ever see a dime of my money however.

Google maps is the gold standard since it is both good and free. That is hard to beat.

Oh I had a heck of a time deleting the wrong home address because I was trying to do it on my phone without the car which is evidently impossible. It is a trivial matter to do it using the car's screen.