1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another "fog light" question: How do I modify af harness to remove the switch?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by jareza, Sep 11, 2020.

1. jareza

jareza Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    Hi Everyone!
    So I finally jumped the wagon on the cheap chinese fog lights: when they were all the hype they were around 300 usd shipped. Now I found them for 120 shipped so I pulled the trigger:
    I will hook them up simple: connect the harness to the battery and the trigger lead to the fuse box so that they stay always on: however it comes with a switch that I want to remove from the harness:
    I want to "Bridge" the connections so that it stays always on: the question is: which wires do I join together? the switch comes with 4 wires and I got confused.
    Could anyone help me out on this?
    thanks!
    heres a link of the photo
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/cfBjidH42yzDLv6b6
    [​IMG]

2. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Just turn the switch to ON and "hide" it behind the dash.......or somewhere else out of the elements.

At some point in the future, you might want an easy way to turn them OFF.

krmcg likes this.
  3. jareza

jareza Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    That was actually my first thought but I dont want to deal with routing it behind the dash I was going to hide it on the engine compartment but I fear that at some point it might melt or get wet.... Im planning on installing them tomorrow so if I dont get a definitive answer by then I will find a place to stash it
    thanks!!!

4. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Put it in a small plastic bag or plastic box and zip tie it to something high up in the engine compartment.
    If water gets through that, the fog lights will be the LEAST of your worries.

5. jareza

jareza Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    did not think of using a plastic bag!
    great idea! thanks!
    ill post a follow up once I finish the install!

6. NewHybridOwner

NewHybridOwner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I assume that the black-insulated wires are both ground and, of the other wires, one is for the light that illuminates the switch itself and the other is to activate the fog lights themselves. Are you sure you want them always ON? -- even if you mean "always" only when your high beams are OFF. I don't think I would want that.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  7. jareza

jareza Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    Well, its how most members are installing them, Its also a way to get rid of those fugly black covers and I already tested them... they are not bright enough to disturb anyone.
    they come with a small adjustment knob and I will point them down as much as I can.

8. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The problem is that, though they're not "bright enough", they are unfocused - meaning they scatter the light indiscriminately causing glare. They're really a terrible design - I'd at least have them on a separate switch.

9. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Are we talking about FOG lights here ?
    If so, they are unfocused and "scattered" on purpose IF they are proper fog lights.
    The ones that are bright and sharply focused are NOT good fog lights.