1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another Gen 3 bites the dust...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Sammy B, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Sammy B

Sammy B Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Some of you followed my post about the engine troubles I had 10k ago. Engine now has 190k on it and things just went really far south. The short of it is that after many years of oil heavy engine consumption (about a quart every 300 miles), my engine started to violently shake at start up. I discovered a lot of oil in the #2 cylinder, and a filthy EGR/ intake manifold. After cleaning out the intake parts and adding some stop leak to the radiator due to the probable head gasket leak, my problems were solved -- for a short time.

A few days ago, my engine developed an annoying rhythmic ticking/ flapping sound that was only heard when the engine was under load. Gradually, the noise got worse, and the engine lost a lot of torque. About ten miles before I got home, the check engine light turned on, which was shortly followed by the 'check hybrid system' light. The old Prius was able to limp home, but barely. The trouble code was P0037, which was an an O2 sensor. Further inspection revealed that the steel gasket between the header and first cat had blown out. Unfortunately, the exhaust gases partially melted a string of hybrid system wire harness. I can replace the gasket, but not so sure about that damn harness! Not sure why the gasket blew, but it may due to the cats being so gunked up with oil from that #2 cylinder.

At this point, I'm about ready to rid myself of this beast. Since I don't have the interface for the hybrid system, I may bite the bullet and spend $135 to have Toyota tell me what's wrong with it.

m.wynn likes this.
  2. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    ouch... good luck! we all would like to know what's the result of this issue.

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think you should save the $135......"I'm about ready to rid myself of this beast"

m.wynn and NutzAboutBolts like this.
  4. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

5. IMkenNY

IMkenNY Im just being nosy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    You should be able to locate an inexpensive used engine complete with harness. Hopefully the complete engine harness can be easily disconnected like the 2nd generation Prius harness.
    Has anyone had any experience with 3rd generation engine harness removal and replacement?

6. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hmmmm... Sorry for your problems, but then again, it's an opportunity to get a Prime.

7. mjoo

mjoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Now that's what I call driving until the wheels fall off!

The bright side is that the harness could be a very easy fix with the motor out of the way depending on the extent of the damage.

If you know that the rest of the car and hybrid system was maintained well and not giving you problems it could be worth your while to buy a motor & cat. You probably won't come ahead in resale but: the devil you know is better than the devil you don't know...

Prii are usually reliable. With the recent insights on Priuschat into EGR and PCV problems and the new workarounds (PCV catch can, periodic EGR system and intake cleaning) the engine problem would be very unlikely to happen again.

#7 mjoo, Aug 17, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
    m.wynn likes this.
  8. Sammy B

Sammy B Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just found out that my commute to work will be substantially less, so I'll probably end up selling it or parting it out. Either way, I may still have it looked at. May end up pulling it apart just to have some fun with it.

mjoo likes this.
  9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Oooh a part out in socal......I'm ready

10. Sammy B

Sammy B Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Haha... I'll let you know.

11. Sammy B

Sammy B Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    IMG_1664.JPG IMG_1666.JPG

Some pictures of the collateral damage. First shows the old gasket next to a new one. Second picture is the melted harness.

danlatu, mjoo, m.wynn and 1 other person like this.
  12. m.wynn

m.wynn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for this Sammy B.

Toyota uses these fiber donuts at the header on many models and they are prone to age/mileage related failure. I've done 2 of these on our '05 Sienna at only 165k miles. So this is yet another somewhat serious failure to keep an eye out for on the turd gen :rolleyes::eek::D.... I'll probably just do a preemptive swap.

SFO and Tbkilb01 like this.
  13. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wouldn't you hear a leak like that? Or is it too small to get your attention?

14. MyPriusLol

MyPriusLol New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Sammy! As soon as I poured the head gasket sealant in the tank, on first startup the knocking was eliminated. I am currently just driving around the vehicle(a few weeks in) fingers crossed! I am sorry to hear about your gasket failure and I think she would have kept on going if that hadn't happened! Best of luck

15. Sammy B

Sammy B Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    MyPrius,

Glad that the leak stop helped. I'm sure that it will be just a temporary solution, but if you get a few more miles out of it, then better for you.

Jerry,

You bet I heard it. At first it was just a ticking sound and I thought that it was something in the valve train, but it progressively got much worse.

I'm going to reinstall the gasket and see what happens. Either way, I'm probably going to dump it one way or another. Not getting another Toyota any time soon.

16. Sammy B

Sammy B Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    amos likes this.
  17. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Pm sent

amos and m.wynn like this.
  18. Sammy B

Sammy B Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sold. Thank you, priuschat.

amos, Montgomery, silvernuke and 4 others like this.
  19. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well the car is home.....and it starts. That's about all it can do LOL

20. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Time to update your sig again.. amazed at how quickly it has changed in the last 3 months (y)

m.wynn and Raytheeagle like this.