1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another group buy on mouldings?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by genalex, May 19, 2005.

1. Dripps

Dripps New Member

Bought my Barcelona Red molding from MetroTPM at full price. Oh well...at least mine is installed already (matches perfectly) and I can recommend it to all of you considering it.[attachmentid=2052]

2. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, Count me in for side moldings. I'm very surprised the car came without them. B)

3. Roger3125

Roger3125 New Member

IN!

What are side gurads...you mean there is actually something that will protect us from side dings???? Color me "IN"

4. Roger3125

Roger3125 New Member

PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong but from the pictures I've seen of side molding protection it looks like you are only protected from front door dings. Back door of most cars usually hit your car above where the protection is placed....and that is where I find my dings. Ever see a little kid open his car door?

5. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    This was my solution. Convenient but expensive. The mouldings were made for the Highlander and are available in the same colors as the Prius. They are available from any Toyota dealer. I had them installed professionally but you could do it yourself. If you do. you had better add double sticky tape as what is provided is very narrow. Judge for yourself how it looks

6. eak354

eak354 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

that would be great but i don't think they have seaside mouldings..

7. Roger3125

Roger3125 New Member

It looks great. Our Priuses or is it Priuii are twins. Super White, right?

What did they cost you and how much did they charge to put on? Did Toyota put them on for you?

Hppy trails
    Roger, So Cal

8. mcmurray

mcmurray Junior Member

A very good point.
    I just checked out my Supra (avatar) and guess where all the dings are? Yep, if I had mouldings on it, they wouldn't have stopped any of the dings I have right now!

I guess though that at least they would save those front door dings from other regular cars (non-4wd/SUV) although if the other car has mouldings that trail right to the rear edge of the door then they should protect your car from a dent right?

9. Roger3125

Roger3125 New Member

Wouldn't it be wonderful if there was a law that all door edges would meet at a standardized height on all cars doors. Never happen, its too simple of a solution

Thanks for the feedback

10. northvan

northvan New Member

Anyone out there installed the body side mouldings from Sigma Automotive. I wonder if they are come in Prius colors, like silver pine mica.

11. Roger3125

Roger3125 New Member

Well just returned from speaking to my friendly Toyota Parts man. Toyota makes no side trim for the Prius, only the Highlander and it ran, are you ready...$126 for left front door and $114 for left rear door. For both sides it would be $480 plus installation.

To boot they couldn't be sure if it would fit well on the Prius. I'm assuming the one we saw posted in this site would be less costly. Sure hope so causeat that price it would be cheaper to take the dings and call The Dent Doctor to fix at $50 a whack.

If anyone comes up with someone that sells them for less, way less, please post.

Happy trails all
    Roger
    Southern California

12. Roger3125

Roger3125 New Member

I'm in. Super white.

I've seen two types...one after market that looked about 2-inches thick and the one from Toyota for the Highlander that looked about 3/4 inch thick. (Or was it the other way?) Anyone have pictures of both type so we can compare and see our options?

13. Roger3125

Roger3125 New Member

The wider ones you have made for the Highlander look so much nicer. Were you ripped off , er I mean, cost you about $480 for the moldings? I saw the Highlander molding for the '04 Highlander. Are the measurements of all Highlanders '01-'06 the same as the prius '05-'06?

Obviously this will not be an easy nor inexpensive solution. I think I'll get myself one of those Handicapped Person signs.

14. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced

15. mcmurray

mcmurray Junior Member

Similar pricing {after exchange rat of .75) here in Australia.

Quoted basically A$150 per door plus any fitting! I looked at them closely and measured carefully and the Highlander (Kluger in Australia) seem to be the way to go.

Now, how do I make the extra cash to do this?

16. Jim West

Jim West Junior Member

Looks nice but the real problem with any of these things is that they don't offer any protection from kids in the back of SUV's. The high edge of the door is a killer.
    Jim

17. Roger3125

Roger3125 New Member

My thoughts exactly. I think will most things with little children we love them inspite of their faults. I wish someone would come up with a solution this this. What a money maker that would be

18. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    The protective strips I've installed on on my last three Priuses---from headlight to taillight---have worked perfectly. Problem is, a roll of it is only 16', not enough to do both sides of a car, so I've had to buy 3 rolls to do 2 cars. The one I use is 1" wide, plain black, and I get it at Pep Boys for $13+. The adhesive on the molding on my '04 hasn't come loose anywhere in over two years. And I think the car-length horizontal line enhances the looks of the car. A real bargain.

My '02 did get bashed on a rear quarter panel by a rolling shopping cart. But at least it hit directly on the molding, and the paint wasn't chipped or broken.

19. rags

rags Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    I'll join the group buy.

rags

'06, Black

20. rags

rags Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Sorry, I am new at this. See message above.