1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another HID Headlight Issue…

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Michael Crestohl, Sep 20, 2022.

1. Michael Crestohl

Michael Crestohl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hi All…

The HID high beams on my 2007 Prius Touring model do not seem to work. There is no relay clicking sound when I pull on the lever. The light stay on all the time, not even a momentary blink. The light flashers do work however if the headlights are turned off but not when they are on.
    I do not know if there is a headlight relay and if there is where it is located? If you know if and where is a high-beam relay please let me know.
    Thanks for all the wisdom and experience.

Michael,

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I have to go out and look at mine but I think if you look in the main fuse box you will see an HID fuse high beam fuse all of that sort of stuff pretty well marked you got to look at the underside of the lid and it'll tell you what's working what pretty clearly I have an '05 with HID it's a tourer w fogs. And it's funny how the HID in the fogs are completely different color lights spectrum wise and all that this car I'm talking about doesn't run so I don't use any of these lights but I had a lot of problems with the HIDs in this car and we drove the car for a little while I remove the HIDs spliced in H4 sockets and put in halogen aftermarket lamps with LED bulbs and never looked back but that's just me. There's many ways to skin this cat you can get more modern HIDs with better ballast. You can replace what you have with newer bulbs which is great but when your ballast start to fail your back to this again I was trying to get away from the ballast and bulb and all of that I just went to Cobb LED.

3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Michael,

The HID headlights use the same bulb for high and low beams. The difference is when you engage the high beams, a small motor in the headlight repositions the internal light reflector to make the beam go higher.

This system also has an automatic level control, controlled by a sensor mounted to the rear axle just inside the driver side tire. Sometimes the sensing arm on the sensor snaps, but I don't think this would cause your problem.

I'm pretty sure the headlight relay is almost dead center in the underhood fusebox. It should be the gray colored relay, swith a blue relay above and below it. It should have some 15 amp fuses (15 amp for HID and 10 amp for halogen lights) and a 7.5 amp fuse for daytime running lights, (but mine has a 15 amp there also) just to the left of it.

Do the headlights turn on normally when just low beam?
    When you try to engage high beams, do the low beams stay as they were, or do they turn off?

There's also the possibility that your combination switch on the steering wheel is failing.

4. Michael Crestohl

Michael Crestohl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I am not certain whether the low or high beam headlights come on when I switch them on. There is no change whatsoever when I press the headlight HIGH switch on the steering column. The blue HIGH BEAM indicator light on the dash comes on. When the headlights are off the headlight “ momentary flasher works fine. I will check out the relay. Thanks for your help on this…….my first experience with HID headlights.

5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Why I went to H4 LED . Eliminates decade old hid tech. For cob led brightness.39dollars a pair beamtech S1 series . Just quick n painless used halogn housings .3 crimp connectors to ea H4 ceramic receptacle

6. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Do you have a link? My HID still work but I need new headlights housings to make the car look better. I figure I will just buy the cheaper Halogen ones and install LED lights. Thoughts?

7. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yep that's what I did with one . The other zo sanded and buffed the factories. They look new . I think I can send you a pic of the H4 harnesses connected to car wires. All factory relays stay in place . No e added . The LED are lower draw than other 2 options .

ColoradoCrow likes this.