1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another hybrid sales article

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Apr 23, 2013.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Interesting summary:
    source: Hybrid and Battery Vehicle Sales Finally Gaining Momentum | TheDetroitBureau.com

The more interesting observation is 33% buy another hybrid? How does that stack with other vehicles, like diesels, sedans, minivans . . . ? It isn't clear to me if this is good/bad or 'sound and fury' with no meaning.

We are a two-Prius family. The first was a used 2003 and the second, a 2010 so I'm not an objective observer. Just curious.

Bob Wilson

2. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

thats because there were no many different hybrids available... this year you have plenty of options to upgrade from prius for example, from Camry, Fusion to ES300h...

3. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't get too worked up on that polk survey being trotted out again. IIRC 90% of prii ever manufactured are still on the road, not too suprising since most were built after 2005, and the average car is now 11 years old.

When you realize that only 10% of prius drivers are included in this stat, and the bulk that are included bought before the 2008 EPA revision, so didn't get nearly the promised mileage, you can put stock in this at the end of the article

When people start trading in 2008 and later models then the low stat would be bothersome.

Tracksyde and JimPHL like this.
  4. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm curious. It would be more telling if they knew which "hybrids" were more likely to be traded in for a non hybrid car.

My estimation - Owners of mild hybrids would be much more likely to forgo getting another hybrid than owners of non mild hybrids. I think there was a post about this roughly a year ago (Prius drivers were more likely to purchase another hybrid....and when they took Prius drivers out of the equation, the number of hybrid drivers that would re-buy another hybrid was terribly low)

bwilson4web likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    One downside to many hybrids is reviews that say it's best to avoid the hybrid version of a model, when buying used. Honda Civic Hybrid is a case in point: the hybrid premium when purchasing new is almost a liability when buying used. Their batteries do not have a good track record, and Honda has their collective head in the sand on this issue. Some would say they have their head somewhere else...:rolleyes:

austingreen likes this.
  6. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Another thing the article doesn't address is that most people don't even buy the same make and model of car that they just traded-in/sold. I was listening to a re-run of Click and Clack (from the late 90's) and they were talking about this. People drive a car for a few to several years and then want to have a "new" driving experience.

7. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Exactly!

If the make/model retention is only 10% per vehicle, a 33% hybrid retention would be brilliant. We just don't have good numbers for other makes and models. As for Prius owner loyalty . . . I seem to remember Consumer Reports making some backhanded comment about 'Prius loyalty' many, many years ago.

Wait, wait, I know. Let's ask our resident, non-Prius member(s) . . . "Electric" somthing?

Bob Wilson

8. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    You really don't want to rehash this again do you? F150 owners are the most loyal.

Only 35 Percent of Hybrid Owners Buying Hybrids Again, says Polk - Polk - Company - News

Only 10% of prius drivers or less have traded in there car. Most of these were pre 2008 models

9. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  10. Reedja42

Reedja42 2012 Prius, Gen III, Barcelona Red, (FRED)

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So far I would have no problem buying another hybrid in the future, most likely a Prius, but by the time I am ready to replace my car, who knows what models may be available. I’m still not sold on the BEVs yet though.

11. artyking

artyking Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I doubt I'll ever trade in either of my Prii ('05 and '09) short of a full electric with the range and capacity for carrying mail...and yeah...being able to drive from the passenger seat. The RAV4EV looks tempting but the range isn't quite where I want it yet, not to mention initial cost is a bit more than I care to put out. If I recall it's priced decent for what it is but I'm "frugal" ;) Ok...I'm cheap...lol. I can't speak for any other type hybrid like Volt, Fusion etc. but my Prii deliver a year round average of 50 mpg on the route or on the highway. Right now I push between 55 and 60 mpg on both. Now, if I had a hybrid that got 40 mpg I'd wonder why even bother when I can get a full gasser that gets that much, and probably at a lower cost. If I ever DO trade rather than they die with me I'd likely go Prius again though.

12. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm one of the apparent 65%. Wouldn't buy another hybrid or plug-in on the market. Maybe Cam Hy XLE at huge discount.

Then again, cars like Acura, BMW are looking correct inside to me, but would need to be used TSX.

Sat in 2013 Leaf recently. HATED it. How sad. Altima is nice though. Must a been sniveling new college grads laying out Leaf seating. Dreadful.

13. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The mission, what the car is required to accomplish, comes first. So before our second Prius:
    • 2003 Prius - 1.5L commuting
    • 2001 Echo - 1.5L goin' for groceries
    We had two, compact cars quite usable around town and the Prius useable on cross country trips. However, both are somewhat small and the Prius highway speed limited to ~65 mph for efficient cross country trips. So when we got a deal for the 1.8L Prius and I had a chance to review the improvements, it was easy to replace the Echo:
    • 2010 Prius - 1.8L cross country, hauling, and cold weather errands
    • 2003 Prius - 1.5L commuting
    So in our case, the expanded mission, and technology update made a lot of sense. Still life has changed and my wife recently began using a wheel chair, especially when outside of the house. So I looked at a CMAX to provide:
    • wheel chair transport - we have folding, transport chair
    • power chair transport - 'some assembly is required'
    Requirements drive our vehicle choices. It is a shame that the only power-chair practical vehicles appear to be vans . . . so what iare our hybrid van option? Where is the Estima?

For the Prius v, can the rear, driver-side door of the Prius v be made power chair, transport compatible? How about the front passenger side door and seat?

So we're interested but thankfully, my wife has remained at home instead of going out more. But as her recovery proceeds, I'm more than willing to change our vehicle mix to give her mobility. Requirements drive our vehicle options and right now, there is a big gap in the van or small utility vehicle market (the CMAX is not it!)

Bob Wilson

14. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I think we'll see a diesel in small van or SUV first that meet your possible needs first. The Transit Connect is getting a 1.6 ecoboost and a 6 speed auto. Being targeted mostly to fleets and businesses, the cost of a hybrid is a concern. Plus, you don't want to intrude too much into the cargo area for the battery. Then, considering the aerodynamics, would a hybrid that meets price and packaging needs yield much better results than an auto start system in the cost equation.

Many people want to see a Toyota hybrid minivan. Keeping Highlander hybrid pricing in mind, I don't think many will pay for it.

15. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I did look at the Transit Connect and it is an option for an 'around town.'
    Toyota has had an Estima hybrid van but only in the Japanese market. It would be perfect for our application.

Bob Wilson

16. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Just saw a $48,000 plus shipping for a RHD Japanese import.

It appears to be smaller than the Sienna, and uses the HSD from the HiHy. Smaller size, and price near the HiHy is likely what is keeping it out of the states. Perhaps with the next Sienna.

Under the learn something new file:
    "Toyota is the first automaker to offer a factory installed auto-access seat for disabled people. The one-touch rotating, power ascending/descending lift-up seat can lower to within 19 inches (48 cm) of the ground."
    Toyota Sienna - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

17. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  18. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So are we to believe Hybrid loyality is not doing well?

image.jpg