1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another idiot who let the Low Oil Pressure warning appear

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by gradyoactive, Jul 24, 2019.

1. gradyoactive

gradyoactive Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    first time poster here. Let me introduce myself. My name is Grady and I am an idiot, not in general, but specifically because I allowed my 2010 Prius (183k) to get so low on oil that I got the Low Engine Oil Pressure warning. Doubly so because I didn't immediately add oil. The first time I saw it, while rapidly turning on an offramp, it disappeared so fast I wasn't sure if I read it correctly, and I stupidly assumed it was a tire pressure warning. So I drove it for maybe 3-4 more days like this (IIRC). Then I saw it again, and this time I definitely read it right, so I started googling it and found many PriusChat threads about the same issue. From what I have gathered, I have definitely caused irreversible damage to my engine, which will show up sooner than later.

Some background: I bought the car certified-preowned in Nov 2013 with 50k miles, and have since put an average of 23k/year of mixed highway/city miles on it. I drive pretty aggressively, and only get low-mid 40s for MPG. After hearing my amateur mechanic friend say "hybrids run pretty cool so you should be able to get 8-9k between oil changes with full synthetic," I have been getting the oil changed every 7-9k miles with 0w-20. I was totally unaware that Priuses started overconsuming oil when they get older, and I stupidly have not been checking the oil levels at all. Yes, I know now that this is my responsibility. This is my first car and was given the impression it was minimal maintenance. I should have done more research.

After I realized what I had done, I added some more 0w-20 oil, 3 quarts and it still wasn't all the way at the top mark (a little bit higher than halfway between). So that means I was at less than 1 quart left for God knows how long. I got the oil changed today. The car still feels like it runs OK, maybe a little louder than when I got it, but not drastically so.

I know the standard advice in this situation is to keep a close eye on the oil level, top it up as needed, perhaps with heavier weight oil (5w-30?), and basically wait till the engine dies. Is there anything else I should do to try to prolong the life of my damaged engine?

Some suggestions I've seen are:
    1) clean/replace valve seals (not sure if this refers to PCV valve or some other valves)
    2) clean EGR circuit and intake manifold because those help keep the engine cool

Which of these, if any, should I try? Are there any other/better options?

I am considering replacing the engine after it dies with a salvaged engine. But depending on how long the engine lasts, it might not make sense to replace it when it dies, if the hybrid battery and other parts start to fail shortly after. I know this is a judgement call, but in your opinion, after roughly how many miles would replacing the engine stop being worth it?

How long after getting the Low Oil Pressure Warning of Death does the damaged engine usually die?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Feel free to chastise me as needed for my stupidity.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Maybe the engine is damaged. Maybe you are lucky and it will survive that incident.

You might do an engine compression check to see whether there is damage to the cylinder bores and piston rings; or to the valves/valve seats. A compression check is the standard way to see whether the engine is in decent mechanical condition.

This requires using Toyota Techstream (Mini VCI) software to spin the engine for the compression check, and a compression gauge to screw into the spark plug holes after the plugs have been removed.

The spec is 118 psi; minimum is 90 psi; no more than 15 psi variation across cylinder readings. If you find that the readings are low, put a little engine oil into the spark plugs, then try the test again. If the readings improve that shows the cylinders/piston rings have a problem. If the readings do not improve then the valves/valve seats are the problem area.

This test does not ascertain whether there is bearing damage, for example piston connecting rod bearings, but such damage will make itself known via knocking noises in the case of the connecting rod bearings. If you see metal specks in the drained engine oil that is also indicative of excessive bearing wear.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    For now: just continue to drive it, and regularly monitor the oil level.

Montgomery, mikey_t and gradyoactive like this.
  4. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Check daily for a while...until you determine the status.

gradyoactive likes this.
  5. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    THIS. Don't over-react.
    If serious damage has been done it should be pretty obvious fairly soon.
    I don't think you should plan any "road trips" for a few months.

6. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Do NOT put heavier oil in the engine, that would just be adding insult to injury! I agree with not overreacting...those Toyota 1.8 engines have been known to be as close to indestructible as possible! (My son-in-law put almost 300,000 on his 02 Corolla) Plus, the engines in the hybrid only work half as hard as a non-hybrid, that's why we only need to change the oil every 10,000 miles instead of 5,000 (I've tested mine, and it wasn't even starting to get dirty until she was around 9,000 miles.)
    My original thought was, "Why was it low on oil?" Have you had a mechanic check all the seals on the engine? Make sure you run a bottle of injector cleaner in your engine periodically. (I've always use Lucas in my vehicles.)

7. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    You mean besides the fact that he never checked it ?

IF it is becoming an "oil burner", there is nothing wrong with upping the viscosity a bit.

orenji, mikey_t and gradyoactive like this.
  8. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Then what is the point of doing a compression test?

Low/no oil will wipe out the bearings first and a compression test will not provide you with any relevant information for this issue.

Raytheeagle, gradyoactive and Tande like this.
  9. gradyoactive

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for the replies, everyone.

The Critic: Is there any good way to test for bearing damage?

10. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If it makes the OP feel any better...
    Sure, you should always check your oil level periodically....and know where it is at.

But also?
    Look at all the wonderful things a Prius can do, as a result of engineering and design. You'd think a system could be made, that automatically gave better warning of oil level. -I think this exists on some vehicles already.
    I mean if damage is done, by the time you see the warning...IMO...that's not really so much a warning, as it is a notification that you are already in trouble.
    Despite the fact that WE should take responsibility for knowing ourselves, that still makes the whole warning light, somewhat useless and almost mocking in it's appearance.

Given the importance of Oil to the life of the engine, you'd think a more comprehensive and informative system could be put in place. Something that allowed you to know your Oil Level, BEFORE it becomes an irreversible damaging creating problem.

gradyoactive and Mendel Leisk like this.
  11. gradyoactive

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yea, you'd think there would be an error light for low oil, not as soon as it gets a little low (because the nature of checking oil and how it takes a while for the oil to settle down after turning the engine off), but at least once it gets significantly too low (2 quarts left?). Sometime before the engine gets permanently damaged.

12. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Excessive noise will reveal the presence of damaged bearings. Metal flakes in the oil also is indicative of that.

The purpose of the compression test is to provide a quantitative assessment of the four cylinders’ ability to produce adequate compression.

13. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    ^ I like Patrick Wong’s answer best.

It would be good to witness the next oil drain- maybe even retain a sample for lab analysis. The real answer is going to be any new character to the sounds made by the engine. Lots of engines can withstand a quick low pressure event- and a sharp turn usually means low or no throttle, which is the best of circumstances for a low pressure event.

You’re either going to start hearing a knock or you aren’t. If you do hear it, then you’ve already solved the mystery of how it began, and you’ll want to line up your next engine soon. If you don’t hear it, you’ve dodged a bullet. Dipstick vigilance.

gradyoactive likes this.
  14. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Depending on how many miles you drive, checking the oil once a week should be safe.
    When it's cold after sitting overnight, on level ground of course. :)
    Should be able to get true level since the oil has had plenty of time to drain into the oil pan.
    Then you can see if you are burning oil, and how much.

gradyoactive likes this.
  15. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Have people forgotten how to open the hood and check things, and look underneath the car at the same time? Oil level, other fluids, leaks, general conditions, etc. This should be part of the routine of owning a vehicle. An old saying - "you get what inspect, not what you expect".

mikey_t likes this.
  16. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree with this.
    But, I've hung around enough automotive sites long enough, to say, unfortunately people don't always do this.
    Cars have warning systems for other items that arguably we could rather easily check on our own. TPMS for example.
    Seems to me most automotive Oil Pressure warning lights, are primarily catastrophic failure warnings.
    Why not design a system that allows someone maybe NOT very mechanically inclined, those that rarely do open their hoods, a more comprehensive idea of what their oil level is?
    I know, even though I do check my oil, I'd appreciate such a system. Given the nearly clear color of most synthetic oils, and IMO the sometimes crappy design of some dipsticks, I'd appreciate the back-up. And for others? If it saves an engine or major repair? I'm sure it would be worth it to them too.

gradyoactive and Mendel Leisk like this.
  17. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    The more "features" you add, the less likely the car will ever get a good once-over. You can't add enought lights or features to make the car completely self monitoring. First TPMS - the tires never get looked at until they are bald. Then oil level sensors - why open the hood until one day no blue fluid comes out of the windshield squirter.

Commercial jet aircraft, for example, are chock full of monitoring systems, but before each flight a pilot actually walks the aircraft down looking for obvious problems.

Robert Holt likes this.
  18. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yes.

19. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Parents don't teach the kids. Because they weren't taught. It's become a lazy society. Sadly.
    I never fixed my kids cars, I "helped" them fix it.
    Warning light have their place. You could have checked your oil and water level this morning, and have a light come
    on heading to work. A seal fails, a hose fails, it happens. Usually when the oil light comes on, it means you just
    fried your bearings! :)

gradyoactive likes this.
  20. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes, im with mendel on this one. Perhaps entitled not to check. Take a look at my signature, the second to last & very last quote.

mikey_t, Mendel Leisk and Raytheeagle like this.