1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another idiot who let the Low Oil Pressure warning appear

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by gradyoactive, Jul 24, 2019.

1. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Your from the future going back to the past. It’s like today’s kids saying how come went can’t press a button to go to the next song on a record?

gradyoactive likes this.
  2. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Personal opinion on this one: All the crap people want added to their cars to protect them from themselves just raises the price of my car. I can easily live without TPMS, oil level sensors, automatic headlight turning on/off, auto wiper turning on/off, etc. Keep cars simple. My 2006 Miata is just about right. Not a bit of radar, no TPMS, nothing automatic, manual transmission, manual top.

mikey_t, CR94 and Ed Beaty like this.
  3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    With the younger generation I don't know if it's so much they've forgotten, as much as they grew up simply NOT doing it.

We do live in an age where even the automotive repair center is likely to say, wait until a warning light or code appears.
    I once was in a situation where I wanted my vehicle checked out...without any warning lights or codes appearing, and I literally had to beg the dealership service department to put it on the rack. Their attitude was that there couldn't possibly be anything wrong with the vehicle if it wasn't displaying a code or warning light.

So yes, we've become very dependent on "systems" warning us.
    This isn't the 50's, 60's, 70's or even 80's, when people often spent a lot of time covered in oil and grease with disassemble parts of their vehicle surrounding them.

Most young people today, would much rather use their Smart Phone to call AAA, than change a flat.

That's NOT justification for not checking your oil. But it is the reality of the world we live in.

4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Since I'm saying couldn't we have a more comprehensive and aggressive oil monitoring system, isn't it just the opposite?

I'm looking to what I think could be a better future. I'm from "now"...looking to a hypothetically better future.

Plus...

Geesh, it makes me feel old, but I remember when CD's were the cutting edge, future of recorded music. Now? Downloaded music files, played from various formats is what is expected.
    I installed a multi-disk CD player in a truck of mine when I was young. I thought it was so great that I could load it up, and listen to 12 discs of music.
    Today? One memory stick, and a USB port allows me to drive around with 100's of songs at my disposal. Or I can blue tooth it from my Smart Phone.

5. gradyoactive

gradyoactive Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I tried quoting from jb in NE but it didn't work: "Have people forgotten how to open the hood and check things, and look underneath the car at the same time?"

Lol is it just me, or does this sound physically impossible?

I get that everyone should check their oil fairly regularly (now, too late...), but there should also be some sort of mandatory education on this type of thing when you buy a car, or maybe even in school. Not everyone grows up knowing someone who knows about cars/engines. Car manufacturers should also have to disclose that their cars start eating up oil after a certain number of miles, and not just in the fine print to cover their asses (1qt/600 miles is "normal", Toyota?!). This problem has happened to a lot of Prius owners. I'd bet the majority of Prius owners don't know anything about engines, and Toyota essentially tries to give the impression that it requires no maintenance.

I honestly don't know how I made it this far without learning the basic essentials of car maintenance. I'm not completely un-handy. I've sculpted a busted fender out of bondo and made it look pretty good, replaced the wiper linkage and one of the hood hinges, suctioned a dent out of a bumper using hot water, replaced all the lights and one of the fuses, patched and changed flat tires, replaced and painted both bumpers, replaced the fender liners, etc. But that's all stuff I learned to do after noticing something break. I just wish I had gotten an old beater car first and learned this oil checking/preventative maintenance lesson on a car that only cost a few thousand dollars, rather than a $16k one. Epic fail.

#25 gradyoactive, Jul 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
    mikey_t and Mendel Leisk like this.
  6. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Some improvements are great. A/C is one! :)
    Power brakes. And I won't/can't drive without Cruise Control!!!! :)
    Radio, that I can plug my iPhone into and listen to podcasts....
    I check the oil, tire pressure, other fluids usually once a week. It's just a habit.
    Tire pressure monitoring is okay. I had check my pressures, and 7 days later the light came on.
    I just figured one must have gone done a pound or 2. But it was 22psi! I has ran over a nail.
    I did notice the handling had changed but it had been windy and figured it was that.
    These features are good, but shouldn't replace common sense!

7. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's true, times have changed. I'm shocked with the fact folks are willing to install an app on their cell phones to buy a car! WHAT? Buy a car without even inspecting it? Hey, let's buy 100 cars from the salvage yard, that were all ruined in a flood, clean them up and makes thousands of dollars by selling them to folks via an app!! What a great idea! (Who said there's a sucker born every minute?) I know folks who actually believe, and trust, Car Facts to report any discrepancies...yeah, right!

8. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Too late! Someone already did that! hahahahaha

9. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    There’s be a feller in hea who won 2 auctioned salavged title Prius and lastly ya heard be drivin dem geerate.

10. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I want names!!!

11. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I think not. Do any of these things come with an education class - your home and all the stuff in it (A/C, appliances, furnaces, structure), your lawnmower or chain saw, etc. At some point humans have to figure out how to use the things they buy, starting with reading the manual and then asking for help from a knowledgable person or friend if they aren't getting it.

The owners manual has procedures for checking the oil and has a lengthy maintenance schedule. How anybody can conclude that the car needs no maintenance is beyond me.

ASRDogman likes this.
  12. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Again, my question to you is: why?
    This single event of running low on oil does not warrant the need for a compression test. It is unlikely to real anything of value.

Now if you wanted to recommend a compression test for other reasons, that's fine. But as a follow-up to the incident, I fail to understand the value.

gradyoactive likes this.
  13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    When I was in high school, the shop course in mechanics was taking apart stuff on a small engine, carburetors for one. Never needed that, lol. Not sure what they're up to these days, but maybe car maintenance basics would be good, for at least one session. Say: checking the oil, tire pressures, changing a tire.

orenji, mikey_t and gradyoactive like this.
  14. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    At least your not in today’s high school electives getting cotton swabbed about L.G.B.T.Q.L.M.N.O.P.+- and policing political correctness.

15. gradyoactive

gradyoactive Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I don't think you can reasonably expect everyone to read that thick owner's manual in its entirety. There should be a cliffnotes version, at least for essential preventative measures like oil checking. Basically everything else has an earlier warning light, and can be fixed by consulting the manual after the fact. That's it's purpose: consulting it as you need it, not "read this whole thing before you touch the car." AFAIK the low oil pressure warning is the only one that basically means, "too late, you're already screwed!"

16. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    OP seemed to need something to do; the test is objective and will show whether the engine basically is good or not.

gradyoactive and The Critic like this.
  17. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That "informative system" is called dipstick. Mine works.

jb in NE, Grit, mikey_t and 1 other person like this.
  18. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you care about your investment, you'll read the manual to find out about you expensive purchase.

jb in NE, Grit and orenji like this.
  19. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Oil changes should be done at 5K miles and 30 or even 40 weight Oil is approved and recommended in other parts of the world for this car. Please don’t state inaccurate information.

gradyoactive likes this.
  20. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I red through it 5 times, from beginning to end. I still jump back to certain pages & sections to take photos and post it on here for others who needs help. Oil checking is only a couple of steps, there will never be a need for cliff notes for that.

Ed Beaty and Raytheeagle like this.