1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another map: which countries have the wrong electricity

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by hkmb, Dec 17, 2013.

1. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    On the calendar thread, we discussed America being ... unusual in comparison to the rest of the world.

The same goes for electricity. Here's a map.

[​IMG]

So you're OK when you're travelling to Central America or the Caribbean or Taiwan. Or the wonderful holiday destination of Liberia. But beyond that, it's a struggle.

I suppose it's less of a problem now that the main electrical thing we travel with is a laptop with a transformer that will deal with pretty much anything. But I remember my mum getting into a terrible flap about her curling tongs when we went to America in the 80s and she had to maintain her 80s frizzy perm. There was an overheating transformer and all sorts of messing about.

I wonder why it happened. As far as I recall, America was the first place with municipal electricity supplies, so one would have thought that the rest of the world would have copied you.

Of course, it still means you're wrong. But on the plus side, you're not as wrong as Japan. And they can't even get their FM radios right.

2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Now, how about a map of who has the right and wrong electric plug patterns. That should be an extremely colorful map.

hkmb and Les_PL like this.
  3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    At least our hair products generally work on the other side without any transformer, just a plug adapter. A 120/240 switch locks out the 'High' position, then the position labeled 'Low' works as a High.

4. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oooh, it would be.

When my parents first came to visit me in Shanghai, I wound them up horribly about the type of plugs they'd need.

China doesn't have a consistent standard on plugs (although it's working towards an upside-down version of the Australian plug). So hotels and most powerboards have sockets that will take anything.

So I told dad he needed to find plugs that would perfectly fit this socket.

[​IMG]

He spent ages searching for the right sort of plug.

It was the best trick I'd played on him since I took him for his first Japanese meal and told him the green stuff was mashed watercress and that you should eat the whole lump in one go.

fuzzy1 likes this.
  5. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I remember Mum's hairdryer making this weak murmuring noise.

6. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    fuzzy1 likes this.
  7. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    And he still talks to you?

8. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Depends on if it was real wasabi from a Japanese restaurant in Japan or the crap that they try to pawn off elsewhere that is really just horseradish sauce and some colouring. :)

9. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four

True but not a lot to the uninitiated.
    What was the nasty trick played back, or series of?

10. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    He does. But he didn't for a good 10 minutes. Not because he was angry, but because he couldn't speak.

It was in London, but it was a good restaurant frequented by Japanese expats (I had a couple of friends who worked there), so it was proper wasabi.

There've been so many: most of them convincing me of something that was singularly untrue. But as we're close to Christmas, I'll go for a festive one. I remember one Christmas when I was about 10 when Dad had used an oven thermometer when cooking the turkey. He told me the hole through the breast was where he'd shot it. I completely believed him, and told everyone.

My Dad's finest tricks were not on me though. One was an extraordinarily complex April Fool's trick on the German aircraft manufacturer Messerschmitt-Bölkow-Blohm in the 1980s, involving a new government policy that would necessitate multi-million-pound changes to an Anglo-German-Italian swing-wing technology. And another involved convincing my sister and her best friend that their new school had changed uniform policy and now required everyone to wear tweed underwear.

11. massparanoia

massparanoia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This map goes back to the early days of America's awesomeness ;)

Back in the early days of electricity c1900 we pioneered the production and distribution of electricity. Back then light bulbs couldn't handle the higher voltages (220/240) and would burn out. So power plants built in the early 1900s sent power out at 110 as to not burn up the early light bulbs. By the time the rest of the world caught up, light bulbs could handle the extra voltages and because you need less copper to send 220/240 long distance they went with that standard.

Flash forward to modern times and in the US the majority of homes have 240v coming to them (transmitting electricity at higher voltage is more efficient) but since the 120 standard was adopted early on it stuck.

So basically we are tied to 120 in the home because of how our electric items are made.

Source: Father in law. He's a master electrician so I trust (hope) this is mostly true.

hkmb likes this.
  12. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Answer: In America it's called a hair dryer. In Europe, its called a flame thrower.

What's the question?

massparanoia likes this.