1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another mouse thread

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by crutz, May 1, 2018.

1. crutz

crutz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I've been reading the older mouse threads, but was wondering if anyone else is currently dealing with this. I have a 2010 II, had it since 2015, I love it and there have been no problems. (That’s why I mainly lurk and haven’t written anything here since buying the car.) Only ever have do oil changes and regular service, and fixed the brakes once. But now, the dreaded mice have made their appearance. Dun dun...

Yesterday was spent cleaning out the car and setting traps. This morning, I’d caught 5 mice, 2 under the car by the tires, and 3 in the cabin. One under the passenger seat, one in the back, one lurking under the front of the drivers seat, up by the pedals. Yuck! Traps are reset for tonight.

The car has been parked for a little over a month, on 2 separate occasions, once in the fall (no mice) and just now (mice!). I have not been driving much the past 6 months or so, in between 2 major surgeries and all that goes with that. Actually, I discovered the mice on what would have been my first solo drive after my last surgery. Got in the car for the first time yesterday and immediately noticed a gross musty smell and some old forgotten papers/tissues completely ripped to shreds in the center console. Looking under the hood, some stray mouse poop on top of the battery and more of the general musty smell. Eew—not exactly the “triumphant return” I'd hoped for! I live in Vermont in a wooded area on a dead end town road, where the conditions are perfect for mice. I don’t have a cat (my rat terrier would NOT take well to sharing the house with a cat!) but there are plenty roaming around the neighborhood hunting, I'd thought they were doing a pretty good job keeping the rodent population in check, but apparently not... I’m taking the car in on Thursday to have it looked at and to make sure the mice haven’t gotten in the filters or chewed on the wiring, etc. Anything else I should know of or do? Apart from getting it looked over, and staying on top of trapping, anything useful others have found to do?

Thank you!