1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another New Owner Post

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by VABeachPrius, Jul 7, 2006.

1. VABeachPrius

VABeachPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    After four months of reading here and priuschat.com and greenhybrid.com, I made the decision to purchase a brand new 2006, Barcelona Red, Package 7, Toyota Prius on 30 June 06 (well it had 1 mile on it). Well it turns out they had one in stock.

To combine many thoughts from different threads. I got it at a $1000 under MSRP from Priority Toyota in Chesapeake, VA. They had two more on the lot at the time. By the way, Checkered Flag Toyota was willing to go $1000 under MSRP too (eight week lead). Carmax in Laurel Springs?, MD is selling that at $1000 under MSRP too (about eight week lead). I couldn't believe it after reading many posts on long waits; maybe I should have played the lottery that day I bought mine.

Many thanks to efusco, DanMan32, and john1701a, ken1784, hobbit, Darrell the electric nut, and others, for all the information in your posts.

I have torn myself away from my 2001 BMW M5 to drive this car; and other than being able to corner like its on rails and go 60 mph in less than 5 seconds, the prius is truely an amazing vehicle. The navigation system is so clear. The split screen option is amazing. I still need to learn more about the navigation and get a bluetooth phone.

Observations:

1. It really is a bigger car than one would think.
    2. I thought I would have to travel on 25 mph roads and stealth all the time to get the best city mileage.
    3. #2 is so wrong others will understand. Constantly using the battery without letting it charge wasn't so good for the MPG numbers. So far (1st tank, 302 hybrid miles, 302 miles on car) I get the best mileage when I can use a dead band pulse and no arrow glide on a 35 mph speed limited road (when there is no traffic is behind me). I drove 57 miles yesterday in surbaban city traffic, 85 F, 70ish % RH, flat terrain, moderate to light traffic, tires 42/40, oil full, 250 miles on car, and got about 64 mpg. I used the MFD numbers to report that, so +/- 2-4%.
    3. The battery really gets charged at speeds over 42 mpg and it doesn't take that long.
    4. I can undstand how some people get 35-40 mpg. They need to listen and apply information from this and other websites.
    4. My friends/coworkers are sick of hearing me talk about clean emmissions and mpg numbers.

Questions:

1. I can dead-band accelerate 90% of the time above 23ish mph? Is this normal? Why not at 15 mph?
    2. This one is touchy: Can I switch to synthetic at 1000 miles. Yes, I know some will say to just follow the maintenance plan. I may just do it for peace of mind. No dinasour soup for me. he he. Is it too early to switch. Does the engine need more break in time. Yes, some will say that after 600 miles, you have reached the end of the mfg's break in periord.
    3. MFD #'s only (1st tank). I can forsee gettting 55 mpg or more during the current environmental conditions (summer). Is it fair to say that if I drove my car in the same type of environmental conditions when it has 5000 miles, 10000 miles, and say 20000 miles on it, that I would see 10% better gas mileage overall? Can someone quantify their experiences. I am trying to get a handle on car break in. This has been discussed many times, I was looking for actual experiences with MPG.

Thank you for your time. I look forward to learning so that I can answer new owner's questions in the future.

I know I need to either create a profile, or update it, including uploading my data for mpg, etc.

Thanks,

Chris

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(VABeachPrius @ Jul 7 2006, 12:19 PM) [snapback]282590[/snapback]</div>
    Congrats, sounds like you did your homework.

You're welcome!

Pretty much normal, hard to stay in deadband at slower speeds without VERY sluggish acceleration. The car is programmed to use both ICE and electric at those low speeds to accelerate. Just go with it as that low speed stuff is pretty fuel inefficient anyway so it's best to just get up to speed.

No harm in doing so though I suggest waiting until at least 3k for more break-in time. There's also little risk in waiting until 5000--remember that that's only about 2000-3000 miles in "normal car" miles b/c there is so much time that the ICE is not spinning AND b/c of the low friction start-ups. Plus, the "no dino" thing only works after your oil change. You've already got ~4 quarts of dino in there, it's used, so you might as well maximize the use you get from it.

10% is probably fair. It sounds like you're already doing a lot of the technique things that help mileage so that may attenuate your improvement a bit, but then you're still going to learn more and get better. Plus, tires won't break in completely for at least 2000 miles and most people start seeing maximum break-in improvements at around 6k...but for you that will be in the middle of winter so it'll be hard to tell how much better you'll get until next spring/summer. Also, you're going to find that variations in your usual commute will do damage to your overall mileage in small but significant amounts. We make interstate trips once every 2-3 months on average, but that really makes a hit in my FE for those months.

3. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Welcome and congratulations! :)

I don't think I'm of much help with regards to your questions, other than to say that you can pretty much expect the mpgs to get higher as the car gets broken in/you put more miles on it. :) And of course, that all depends on how you're driving it (ie: using high-mpg tips found on PC vs driving it like a sports car, both of which I do every day because it's fun).

4. VABeachPrius

VABeachPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thank you for the replies. I used to be one of those 80-90 mph freeway drivers, one that would dart in and out of lanes to save myself 14 feet at the next light (quickly and dangerously passed another vehicle).

Now, I enjoy the ride, I don't worry about speeding tickets, I am sure my blood pressure is below 200/120 when I drive in traffic, I save gas, $, and overall on emissions, and can't wait to go somewhere to drive my car. I thought people that talked to things were crazy until I started talking using voice commands.

Maybe I need more hobbies, becuase I can't wait until next summer after my car is broken in and my technique improves. How strange is this: I don't look forward to driving on the highway as it will bring down my MPG?

Thanks again,

Chris

5. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(VABeachPrius @ Jul 7 2006, 11:27 AM) [snapback]282629[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, lately I've found that going on the highway can tend to increase my mpgs, depending on speeds of course. In moderate traffic where everyone's moving at 20-40mph, I see a huge increase in my mpgs, mainly because I'm able to utilize electric power during that time and at those speeds. Even travelling at consistant speeds (ie: not having to speed up or slow down) of 65-70mph I'm able to get high mpgs (50-75mpg per the graph) by keeping my foot verrrrrry light on the accellerator while maintaining my speed.

I've been on a couple of roadtrips with the Prius, and noticed that even when travelling on the highway at speeds of 70-80mph, it's entirely possible to still get 48mpg or more at the same time. :D

6. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You know, I've been finding that after my first Prius month a change has come over me. All my life I've loved sport cars and have driven with a heavy foot no matter what the model. I got a ticket for 90 mph a year ago and the CHP was doing me a favor by writing it so slow. (No safety sermon here please. The car, the road and I were up to it. But I know I did wrong, OK?)

Last night, on the freeway, with light traffic, I found myself in the right lane doing a legal 65, cars rushing by me, as I was trying to coax another mpg or two out of it on my way home. The XM radio was tuned to Folk Channel 15 and I was mellowed out, in no hurry to get anywhere, quite unlike my usual jet pilot instincts.

Somebody help me!

I've become a WUSS!

7. rfred

rfred New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Jul 7 2006, 08:36 PM) [snapback]282810[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, but you're a happy, live WUSS!

8. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I know how you feel!

I used to me a muscle car guy (did everything possible to my 88 Mustang GT)...but now I have been transformed.

I got mine in February and already have 11k on it! I have not seen a huge break in improvement, but more of a lessing of the peaks and valleys. At first I would get 2-3 great tanks and then one lower one...now they are pretty much within 1-2 mpg each time (51.5-54 normally). I too try to coax every last mpg out...and admit driving in the slower lanes from time to time!

My wife constantly makes fun of me, but agrees that avoiding the speeding tickets I have received in the past, is actually a great thing. I have also noticed that I have avoided a few sticky situations (accident wise) that I may have been caught up in before.

The only downside is the semi trucks. Driving in the slower lanes has definatly increased my changes of getting hit by road debris...and that sucks!

I do enjoy watching others weave in and out, and getting all upset...and thinking that that used to be me!

Glad you decided to join the club