1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another newbie with some questions for everyone.

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by TP2 '15, May 15, 2015.

1. TP2 '15

TP2 '15 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just got home from purchasing a new Prius 2, Winter gray with dark gray interior (glad they had that instead of the light gray). Excited for the new car and gas mileage, never owned a new car before. Just a few questions for everyone.

1 Mats. Didn't want to pay 100 bucks for the carpet, would rather get a good all weather mat. What has everyone liked husky, weathertech, Maxliner? Are there other better options?

2 What should I do to get better mileage. I've read about inflating tires to max capacity. Should I, shouldn't I?

3. Anyone get the mudguards, or wish they had, or not really needed?

4. Extended Warranty. Probably worth it at the right price, or complete waste of money? Granted, this is more a personal choice, but have many of you had problems with the radio or other items in the car that weren't covered and wish you had the warranty?

5. Anything else I should do as a new owner, other than enjoy fewer trips to the gas station?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    1. I didn't know there are Prius without mats, they are usually included in the price of the car for $225. This is the floor mat plus rear hatch mat. I think Toyota has an OEM all weather mat as well, if you like to purchase OEM stuff.
    2. Don't worry so much about the gas mileage, just drive the car. Most people here inflate to about 40
    3. Mudguards are nice to keep the sides of the car clean.
    4. Extended warranties are a waste of money
    5. You bought a Prius

3. TP2 '15

TP2 '15 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks. I'm not going to worry too much, but if it makes a difference in 4-5 mpg, then why not do it. I got the car at a really low price. Funny thing is, they didn't really try to sell me on much except the warranty. I only agreed because it was so low (compared to what I had seen other times) and I have 30 days to discuss it with my wife and cancel.

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It is 100% pure profit, everything else pales to free money. (for them)

5. iammegiam

iammegiam Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    1. Since I live within driving distance of the Weathertech factory, we bought those--but only in the front to make sure we like them. And we do. They are spend and we will be going back to purchase the back mat and the cargo mat in the near future.

2. I have found the less you worry about it, the better mileage you get :)

3. I live in Chicago so will be purchasing mud guards as the slush season approaches.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats! pump the tyres to 42/40, learn about pulse and glide, enjoy the ride. all the best!(y)

7. bingee3

bingee3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Pump tires to 42 front 40 rear

Winter time , block the grill

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I find I don't miss mud flaps one bit. And I've had them on all our previous vehicles. The bodywork acts like a mud flap, as-is.

Also, regarding the cargo mat: as long as you're not flipping the rear seat backs down they're fine. But if you are, then not so good. I find a blanket more flexible.

#8 Mendel Leisk, May 16, 2015
    Last edited: May 21, 2015
  9. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Tire pressures are a personal thing, the higher the tire pressures, the more rattles and squeaks you will hear, ride comfort will suffer, for me the best compromise was 39 front 37 rear, but you can experiment and find what works for you.

10. lifehouse

lifehouse Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    What's the current mpg you are getting? I would keep the tire pressure 40-42 then drive with fun.

11. TP2 '15

TP2 '15 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ended up buying the MAXpider liner and installing them today. So far so good. Fit and look great. We'll see how they wear and clean though. Still debating the mudflaps.

Increased the tire pressure, but don't know how much I trust my pump. Added about 2 lbs in each to get to 42/40, meaning they were 40/38 when I got them, so not enough to tell much difference. Its been fun watching my gas mileage go up slowly each day. Drive 25 miles each way, and it seems like each direction the mileage goes up .3-.4 mpg from where it started. Will get my first fill tomorrow to compare actual MPG, but showing 48.4 now, so I'm expecting about 46-47. Not bad for a first tank.

Cancelled the Warranty as well. Seems like what is likely to go wrong wouldn't be covered anyway.

Mendel Leisk likes this.