1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another Nutjob Goes Postal

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by GrumpyCabbie, Jul 23, 2011.

1. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  2. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry to rewind back to page 2......but the following post piqued my interest:

I respectfully disagree.
    ALL people have rights.
    Period.
    OK.....so you may hazard some of those rights, freedoms, and financial opportunities by illegally entering and taking residence in another country, but even criminals have some basic rights....even abhorrent ones.
    The fact that our borders are "Whiskey Alpha Oscar" doesn't give people the legal right to enter into and take residence in the US (yet.)
    However (comma!) once they're here, and if they're identified and apprehended, how we treat them says a lot about who we are as a nation.

It's not a real big leap from "illegals have no rights" to... "just shoot them and throw them back over the fence."

Sorry....JMHO.... ;)

3. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Glenn Beck has always been obsessed with Hitler. Do you know who else was obsessed with Hitler? Hitler, that's who!

4. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ...but apparently Hitler is tired of Glenn Beck. :p

5. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    ... A woman on the ferry, Monica Bosei, raised the alarm after learning details about the earlier bombing in Oslo.

The 45-year-old museum worker asked Breivik about the attack and became suspicious about his answers.

As the ferry docked on Utoya she ran off the boat and called for help from Mr Berntsen, who confronted Breivik.

The right-wing fanatic drew a gun and shot both Mrs Bosei and the off-duty policeman.

Read more: Norway shooting: Princess Mette-Marit sobs for hero stepbrother Trond Berntsen | Mail Online

6. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    At least here in the states, typically the immigrant speaks their mother tongue best, their kids are bilingual and their grandkids know only a few words of the immigrants language.

I went out to lunch with a hispanic friend to a Mexican place he liked. They had a sign written in Spanish, I made a guess as to what it said and asked him for clarification. He had no idea, my rudimentary Spanish was better than his. This is not unusual.

In times past, Americans have discriminated against Irish, Italians, Chinese, Germans and Japanese. The election of JFK was a big thing because he was the first Catholic to become president, people didn't think that could happen. Nowadays, this is a non-issue. Whenever there's a big influx of a new population, people get all tweaked out about it, but unless they look different, they usually assimilate within 2 generations and people forget all about the strife. Hopefully that will happen in Europe as well, but it will take some time.

7. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This might explain some of his issues with women, as apparently he hadn't had a father figure around for awhile.

8. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That has pretty much been my experience, but our family is an exception by one generation.

My wife's mother is from Central America. My wife speaks fluent Spanish but only because she studied Spanish going to college to become a teacher. Her Spanish was pretty weak when she started college.

Our son took 4 years of Spanish in high school and can get along in Spanish. The main reason he took Spanish was that it was the easiest foreign language available for an English speaker. It's also useful in the Americas.

My wife's father was from Greece, but she never learned more than a few words of Greek. Most of her Greek cousins parents were also from Greece and few of them can really speak Greek.

I know several Chinese immigrants who have great difficulty getting their US born children to learn Chinese, I think being fluent and literate in Chinese often dies out in the first generation of US born children. At least it does for those whose parents live in mainstream US society.

9. PriQ

PriQ CT+iQ

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    It has now finally become acceptable to ask questions about the shootings here in Scandinavia.
    One of our loud voiced columnists has had the nerve to ask the following question (and received enough hate towards him to give a public apology):
    Are people in Norway (and Denmark, where he is from) too passive when facing terror?

He compares it to people in the US where he thinks that you would be much better at teaming up against the gunman (even if you are unarmed).
    Is this assertion correct?

I can't help but think what might have happened. Imagine if 20 of the youth were hiding behind a building with one trying to convince the others that they needed to take action and overwhelm the shooter. The leader would then give a motivating speech, wait for the right moment, shout "charge!", then run out only to be gunned down because everyone else stayed behind.

10. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hmmm maybe, maybe not. I think it's all down to many factors such as experience of terror etc. Before Sept 11th, if your plane was ever hijacked people were to comply with the hijackers and eventually they'd all be released unharmed. Obviously since 9/11 that is unlikely to occur - it's either them (the terrorist) or us.

I guess in America where they have lots of shootings people are more likely to know what to do - perhaps someone else is more likely to hold a gun and have a pop at said terrorist. In the UK in the 1980's we got used to IRA bombings and had a good idea what to do in such a situation and also what to look out for - unattended bags or cars left in unusual places etc.

One thing the people of Norway shouldn't do is over react otherwise the terrorists have won. Equally however, you MUST address some of the issues raised by this monster and not sweep them under the rug, or they'll float back up and bite you on the arse sooner than later.

11. caffeinekid

caffeinekid Duct Tape Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes. Of course they are....just as they are too passive when facing invasion.

12. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  13. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  14. PriQ

PriQ CT+iQ

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    The shootings and other incidents are also what he referred to.

And I agree on the worry that Norway might go overboard on restricting the freedom of its people as we have seen other countries do after they have had terror attacks or similar shootings.

15. caffeinekid

caffeinekid Duct Tape Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree....but two things:

1. This man is not a "monster". He did not torture his victims or choose them randomly. And judging from his writings, his intent was not to terrorize, but rather to inflict a strategic blow against a perceived enemy of the native European peoples. What is the old adage? "One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter." Sure. What he did is horrifying, but at least he acted. Most of us sit around debating on the internet while our environments and communities get progressively worse with every day that passes. At what point do the people say ENOUGH!!!? When they are hopelessly outnumbered? You can't hide within a bubble of relative comfort forever.
    2. "Sweeping these issues under the rug" is exactly how it has worked historically. TPTB continue to push and push against all good sense and sound reason in pursuit of their own interests, and then when the inevitable happens- like in this particular case- they use it as an excuse for further expansion of their agenda. It's been referred to as "shock capitalism." There is no doubt in my mind that there is a global cartel that has very little concern for states, cultural homogeneity or true diversity for that matter. Social/cultural dissonance are a win-win combination for these interests. I keep reading their propaganda about "racism" this or that, hate, xenophobia, "adapt or die", Nazi and "right wing" fascists, but none of this newspeak is anything but diversion from the real dialogue and debate that needs to be happening NOW.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    better to sit around complaining on the net than to kill people. dialog and debate i can get behind.

17. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What a pathetic rationalization.

I've been active on several issues where sitting around debating on the internet was followed through with actual campaign work and some electoral and legislative victories, and things got better. One of these issues was even gun control, where we had the guns. We achieved our victories with the points of our pens and keyboards, not gunpoint.

What a pathetic rationalization.