1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another Oil-Catch Can Install (moroso) - with Pics & theory.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by wr69, Nov 14, 2021.

1. Eddie25

Eddie25 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    There's really not much you can do if it's a piston ring issue, but if you are burnt out about it, why not just keep it filled with oil and not worry about it. Maybe run a cat cleaner product a few times a year. I had a Saturn that burned oil for over 120k miles, by the time I sold it for $100 (had a fully rusted out exhaust) it was burning a quart every 500 miles but still ran like a top.

My CT200h with 200k and a catch can burns a lot of oil and I'm not really overtly concerned about it, still expecting another 100k. I'll try some engine/piston ring cleaning products, but I'm not really expecting that to fix it. If I can find a good deal on another car maybe I'll take the engine out and try to re-ring it, but there's no need to park it.

2. wr69

wr69 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    yeah, im still driving it and will just top off oil every now and then. the more obnoxious part about this is: 1. cleaning the EGR every so often and 2. potential to destroy the engine from lack of EGR cleaning; all due to the oil burning issue. its kind of a circular mess, which should have been designed better, especially in G3 of the car, and especially from toyota - one of the "premier" engineering companies.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The EGR clogs just fine prior to oil consumption commencement.

and yeah: they should have tested the 3rd gen EGR system. Instead, we’re their testers. :mad:

and the oil consumption is due to low-friction piston rings: got Toyota minuscule more mpg brownie points.

#43 Mendel Leisk, Aug 19, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2022
  4. wr69

wr69 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Here is an interesting video which can explain my frustration:

TOYOTA OWNERS! Please NEVER Do THIS to Your Toyota! - YouTube

5. johnHRP

johnHRP Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Oil consumption is a tricky business. We want to believe that it is a PCV valve, gasket leaks, etc. But 99% of case is usually clogged/caked piston rings and piston return holes from doing too long oil change interval or low-quality engine oil. Toyota dealership does not always use Toyota Original oil 0W-20, often they use whatever cheapest 0W-20 they can get from any suppliers. Kendall, Shell, Pennzoil, etc. and often they are not fully synthetic oil. So, 10k miles/1 year oil change interval is often the culprit.

Paladain55 likes this.
  6. Matth Torrijos

Matth Torrijos Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    This is where I installed mine. Just a lot easier to access when doing an oil change and being incognito at the same time

Attached Files:

7. wr69

wr69 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    just q quick note on placing the OCC's under car, with the hopes that you will have easy access during an oil change. During the winter, in Oregon (not too cold), I get enough to fill up my 300ml OCC between oil changes. so I'm dumping it at least two times between oil changes. IN other words, i want easy, top-access so i dont have to crawl under the car on my cold concrete floor.

The fill is mostly water though as the condensation problem goes up int he winter. But I need to drain it so i wont malfunction. Another thought: you probably dont want to let these gravity-based systems fill to more than 50% of the can-level. bouncing around on the road IMO can jostle the fluid and force it to get sucked back into the outlet side toward the engine.

Matth Torrijos likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I would delete all those extra* band clamps, and swap the current hoses for 3/8" ID SAE30R7 fuel hose (readily available by the foot at automotive retailers. The band clamps are unecessary with barb connectors, actually detrimental to hose life. And the fuel line is more durable, less prone to kink/collapse.

* Do retain and use the two original clips, at the two ends of the (cut) original PCV hose.

johnHRP likes this.
  9. johnHRP

johnHRP Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I don't think it makes any significant difference because the culprit is EGR exhaust lines. The most effective way is repipe the EGR after the catalytic converter to reduce sticky carbon like 4th gen. 90% of the fluid in catchcan is water and harmless. I prefer to just clean the intake manifolds and EGR lines everey 75k miles and make sure they are all not clogged.

10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    With my 2 cans in series, first is about 80% oil, second mostly water, maybe 70%

11. Paladain55

Paladain55 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The EGR passages are always clogged with oily goo so thank the piston rings and 10k oil changes. After reviewing everyones spark plugs on here I was thinking the "corona interference" was causing the burnt spark plugs, but you can see more build up on pistons 1 and 2's spark plugs threads all the way up to the lower body. So it looks like the car knocks hard enough for 20-30k miles thats actually blowing past the compression washers on the spark plugs. Every knock whether small or large or at start up is just one more point towards head gasket failure. So it sounds like toyota has a very impressive head gasket and a very mediocre EGR system and rings and the worst knock sensor system I think I've ever seen on a modern car.

12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There may be some conflation there, though oil burning can’t help the situation. Our 2010’s dipstick level NEVER budges, but the EGR cooler (and the rest) was coking up just fine.

I’d blame a shortsighted design of the EGR system, things like where the exhaust gasses come in (upstream of Cat), the amount of gas they allow through, inadequate cross sectional area of the EGR components. 2015’s with revised piston rings still have EGR issues I think.

They couldn’t have beta tested it sufficiently; they all clog.

#52 Mendel Leisk, Nov 21, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2022
  13. Paladain55

Paladain55 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    To be fair Mendel when you say that you should say how many miles are on your car. If you did 5k oil changes and only have 60k miles you shouldn't even be at stage 1 on the oil consumption issue.
    To keep this catch can related my catch after 500 miles now has about 2-3 ounces of water in it. No oil at all. So its interesting to note how well the water in the blowby condenses in the winter.

#53 Paladain55, Nov 21, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2022
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  14. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Isn't that true of most if not all other engines with EGR of the same or earlier design vintage?

15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Not sure. Our previous Honda Civic Hybrid (2006) had an aluminum component, about the size of a fist. I didn't have a clue what it was, 'till EGR issues came to roost with the Prius. I took a look at the Civic component (car was still in the family); it was very simple, a little sooty inside.

16. Paladain55

Paladain55 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The new Toyota T24A-FTS has no seperate egr system so thats nice. I think they know EGR systems don't work and its better to just use a larger cat for controlling emissions now. There's a reason why you hear EGR delete a lot on tons of different models of cars. Its an unreliable system. My ls400 and sequoia neither have egr so thats nice. The ls400 actually has it, but it uses the vvti to introduce egr back into the cylinders and doesn't use a seperate pipe.

17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just getting into spark plug change on ours (hey, it’s been 12 years, and 96k kms…), and going to do the EGR and intake clean as well. Bottom of intake still “oily”, but not a lake. You can see one of the two Moroso cans below. :)

3B99E49E-7306-4031-9274-6A32FD22B193.jpeg

Grit and xliderider like this.
  18. Paladain55

Paladain55 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Number the spark plugs and give us a picture. It'll be interesting to see someone who is doing our new adjusted maintenance schedule from the beginning.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  19. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Again already? What pressure were you seeing reported by the EGR restriction Mode 6 test?

Paladain55 likes this.
  20. Paladain55

Paladain55 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I wonder how the car would like post cat EGR since that was their solution before deleting it entirely.