1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another Oil & Gas Boom

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by zenMachine, Apr 12, 2012.

1. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    — Thursday night in South Texas, and the parking lot at the Texas Roadhouse, on Highway 287 outside Port Arthur, is jammed. Big-shouldered Sierra trucks jostle with shiny Rams, F-150s, and Tundras, with a pearl-white, freshly polished Dodge Challenger sports sedan thrown in for contrast. Inside, manager David Gonzalez copes with an overflowing crowd and counts his blessings. “Every week this year we’ve been up 6% to 12% over the same week last year,†he tells an out-of-state visitor. “It’s a good time!â€

Les bon temps are roulant, not just in Port Arthur but all up and down the Gulf Coast, from Beaumont to Biloxi. A renewed surge in deepwater production in the Gulf of Mexico has led to one of those periodic booms that have marked the oil-rich region ever since the first well, at Spindletop, just south of Beaumont, blew its top in January 1901. At the same time, a surge in domestic natural-gas supplies, which has come mostly from hard-to-reach shale formations tapped by the controversial fracking process, has pushed domestic oil and gas output to its highest level since 1988. Increased overseas demand for refined products like gasoline and diesel has made America a net exporter of finished petroleum products, something not seen since 1949. And to meet that demand, the oil giants are building and expanding Gulf Coast refineries, the first major investments in such facilities in four decades.

... What really excites experts is that these signs of prosperity in the gulf point to a larger trend. “We call it the great revival of the North American oil industry,†declares Daniel Yergin, head of Cambridge Energy Research Associates. “This is a turnaround not just for North America’s oil supply, but one with global impact. It’s certainly the biggest development in the world oil market of this century.â€

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2012/04/12/energy-jobs-boom/

1 person likes this.
  2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The overall USA/global situation has changed dramatically in the last 3-5 years:
    > New oil and gas boom caught everyone by surprise, with cheap nat gas in USA
    > Nuclear power probably less an immediate solution due to Japan Tsunami disaster
    > China/India pulling ahead of USA in greenhouse gas production

I do not know where we are heading, but I think the notion that fossil fuels will be displaced quickly by nukes with wind+solar is starting to weaken.

3. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    to the backyard to start planting trees :yawn:

4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...yep I support plus consider regulating methane emissions and soot/paticulates both of which may be worsening some of the GW and ice melting problems...

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    I don't get why the thought of the U.S. exporting its gas/oil gets so many folk's panties all bunched up. It's a global biz ... so if it's less costly (money & energy) for Japan to buy carbon fuel from the U.S. ... and then for the U.S. to buy from Canada and/or the Persian Gulf. What difference does it make?

I duno ... if I were starving to the point of dumpster diving ... & found a case of dog food ... I'd probably consider rationing it out ... knowing the inevitable is still on its way.

6. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    More truck sales ahead, it appears...

7. fjpod

fjpod Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's all rigged to keep us hooked on oil. Just when price go high enough to make alternatives seem profitable, all of a sudden there is some "good news" from the oil industry.

8. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Geography fail. ;)

9. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    May not be "south Texas" by the definition of Texans,, but to the rest of us,,it is south Texas.

Icarus

10. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I used to live in Shreveport, which many real Louisianans (notably the Cajun types) still call East Texas... :)

11. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    lol. you can call port arthur south texas, just like you could call London northern England, but it just makes you sound ignorant, like the author of this piece.

fotomoto lives in south texas, he should know.

Port Arthur is a home to oil refineries. There is a big field of shale in south texas called eagle ford, that should provide a boom to the local natural gas industry.

12. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    To those of us not from Texas ( and don't really care) and can look at a map, we realize that PT Arthur is SOUTH of Dallas, Ft. Worth, Amarillo, Odessa, and indeed Austin, it looks south to us!

Is Yakima in "eastern" Washington, or Central WA? Depends on ones perspective. For those on the west coast, Minneapolis is "back east". If you are from MSP,, it is Midwest.

It is all semantics. I don't think the personal attacks on me or the OP are warranted in this (once) freindly conversation,

With kindest regardess,

Icarus

13. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know which group you represent, but if you are looking at maps of texas that have regions you could read the region:D You might see Port Arthur in a region labeled East Texas or south east Texas. Nothing really calls out that Port Arthur is much south of center, and its a big state. From Austin its a little south, but mainly east:D From South Texas its north and east.:) But why label it with that kind of region. It is a gulf coast refining town, with plans for more pipelines and a couple of LNG terminals. When you drive through its a very small town.

Who really cares? But if I was writing an article about Yakima I don't think I would feel the need to call it the South Washington town of Yakima. Minneapolis is considered part of the Midwest. No reason to spread incorrect names. Calling Minneapolis back east in a national article would also sound ignorant.

I certainly did not mean to attack you or anyone. I merely meant to point out that Port Arthur is not part of the region we call south Texas. The writer of the article, not the OP, ignorantly called it that. He also called a dodge challenger a sports sedan, which it isn't either. If you repeat that Port Arthur or Beaumont is part of South Texas than you will sound ignorant just like Richard Martin,who wrote that forture article.

14. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    One thing we know,, Texas are always right,, OOPs!

Icarus

15. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Chance favors the prepared mind.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    It all started when the enviro's decided that oil is evil. The evil has evolved from simple pollution to the devil of CO2. Whatever they can make the most hay with. While it's a good thing to have a clean world, the beaurocracy has achieved critical mass and cannot now be stopped. From here on out it's splittingthe final parts per billion. A waste of money and a drain on the economy fora Utopian dream.