1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another P1072 thread

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by SauceToyota, Jan 20, 2021.

Tags:
  1. SauceToyota

SauceToyota New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hey, all! First time poster looking for some reassurance here.

Changed out the spark plugs and fuel injectors on my 2013 Gen 3 several weeks ago with no problems. The parts were decent OEM parts. Now I'm getting a P0172!! Can I keep driving this for work? I drive up to 100 miles a day and am hoping it'll last another week.

After that week, I will go in and check the MAF sensor, the air intake manifold, and maybe replace the air filter. The air filter was filthy. If none of those work, I'll give a good look at the fuel injectors.

Included is a screenshot of the OBD readings. I admit I don't know anything about the numbers, so I'm curious for your thoughts.

Thanks, all!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think you'll be fine. how many miles on her?

3. SauceToyota

SauceToyota New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    III
    A little over 95K. Talked around and it seems to be really common to run rich, but i wouldn't want to neglect my Gaben like that!

4. SauceToyota

SauceToyota New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    III
    An update on this!

It got worse: The check engine light never went away, and I started getting Cylinder 1 and 2 misfires.

I took it to the Toyota service center, where they noticed the fuel injectors I installed (UltraPower FJ1287) has LESS holes than the stock Prius fuel injectors. UltraPower's injectors have 4 holes, the stock Prius has 12 holes. This may have led to a less misty spray into the chambers, and too much fuel being used. They replaced it with the stock parts, and now it's all fixed!

In the end, I used the right spark plugs, but the wrong fuel injectors. Oops!

Side note, keeping the UltraPower injectors also led to the engine knocking because of cylinders 1 and 2 misfires. The knocking has gone away since the right injectors were installed.

BrianStranded and JimCar295632 like this.
  5. BrianStranded

BrianStranded Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I’m having this same issue after a headgasket install, Code P0302 and P0172. I replaced the injectors and coils too, Im thinking my Amazon sourced injectors are the culprit