1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another Prius accident Love those Airbags!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by TucsonDave, Sep 5, 2006.

1. TucsonDave

TucsonDave New Member

On Sunday I was driving my 2004 on a two lane highway when the guy coming at me left the road on his side, hit some bushes, over corrected and jumped back on to the highway and straight at me. I saw the whole thing so I was slowing down and moving over to the right side. He had the cruise on so he was not slowing down.(set to 50mph) Looking out my driver side window I could see his truck about to hit me. The next thing I know I'm in the ditch facing the road and a nice pillow next to my head. I was completely OK. The airbags worked perfectly, and the car shut itself off. Only a bruise under my left arm and a sore neck. The driver door was pushed in about 2 inches and the back was about 6.

I'm sure they are going to total it, so I hope I can find another one before Sept 30th. I would not drive anything else. I loved my car and after this I love it even more.

I was wondering, I bought the pre-paid maintenance and the extended warranty. I'm I stuck with both?

Thanks!

2. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I think that you can both prorated. Godiva posted that there are a couple at Kearny Mesa if you want/need to travel in order to get one quicker.
    I would really hate to not have my Prius. I got into a friend's Honda today and I felt like I was riding in an antique!

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    whew, glad you're ok! that sounds pretty scary. the more i hear about prius accidents the more confident i feel about my car.

good luck getting this all straightened out and getting a new car, hope you're feeling well too.

4. Jack Straw

Jack Straw New Member

5. msmit002

msmit002 Junior Member

Aw man, I'm happy and sad for you...

Happy you are A-O.K.... sad because now you have to find ANOTHER Prius. :blink:

6. TucsonDave

TucsonDave New Member

[attachmentid=4934]

Update:
    The total Loss department called and said they will be giving me a check for $23500.00. It sounds fair to me, but low fair(2004#9 43k miles). I argued with her but she held strong. By the way this is my insurance company! The attached file is what she sent me to justifiy the amount. I would love to hear what others think.
    I went to my local (Tucson) dealer and they had nothing for me. I called all the dealers in Pheonix and found a Gray #8 that will me in next week!!! I wanted an 06 but this was the hard way.
    Dave

Attached Files:

7. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TucsonDave @ Sep 9 2006, 09:44 AM) [snapback]316953[/snapback]</div>
    I think that's pretty reasonable for the number of miles you've got.

8. marjam

marjam Member

I think that price is very reasonable but it sure wasn't worth the accident to get it. Glad you are okay!

9. mtsarpilot

mtsarpilot Junior Member

According to Kelly Blue Book, that's a really good price. Check it out at kbb.com

10. Prianista

Prianista Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Based on my own total loss experience, the valuation report seems quite thorough. Also, it looks like they are paying on the high side of those valuations. I think you did well.

Maybe they could help you further by getting the $500 deductible back from the truck driver's insurance company.

After piloting a Prius it's painful to drive a mere mortal car. Congratulations on finding a new Prius so quickly.

11. TucsonDave

TucsonDave New Member

Here is a link if you want to see how good the Prius holds up in a crash.

crash

12. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    Dave, my name is dave also. but the similiarities only start there. My 2004 Tidelands Pearl was also in an accident on a two lane road. see post (http://priuschat.com/Another-Prius-Accident-t23105.html). my Prius had less miles, only 28,000. but mine was a pkg #1 with wiper upgrade only. i received a check for $23,509.80. so i have to say that i read your report and your evaluation was about the same as mine. like you, i received "replacement" cost as mine was totaled as well.

my accident unlike yours was so slight that my SO who was napping was unaware we had hit anything. but it took out about 2 inches along the entire left side of the car.

but anyway, as i see it, the additonal 14,000 miles you drove was traded equally for the $5500 ??? in upgrades. mine was $20, 667 that is after destionation, license, options and base price. total cost was $22,317.44 which includes 8.8% sales tax (also had small additional cost for custom license plates in there somewhere)

to be honest with ya, not sure you did too well. the other insurance company also paid for my 2005 Corolla as a rental which i dropped off the day i picked up my new 2006

i guess the only real question i have is that why is your insurance company paying for your car when it was obviously the other guys fault. my car was replaced without a dime from my insurer

13. TucsonDave

TucsonDave New Member

Hi Dave,
    I found your story just after my accident. I was told that my insurance company would be repaid by the other guys insurance. I was not happy when I saw the amount they were giving me. She told me this is the amount take it or leave it. I reminded her that she was My insurance and they were going to get all of the money back. Nope, it is what it is. I think they look out for each other. As far as the rental car she said that was their policy, three days after she informs me of the price. I told her that it takes 8 weeks to get a prius. She told me to make other arrangements. Nice.

The other guys insurer sent me a letter asking me to call them. They had been trying to reach me. I have caller ID, they never called. The first question was where was my car? I hate insurance companies. But, I hope to have this all behind me soon and into my 2006.

Thanks for the reply. I love reading you stuff.
    Dave

14. LoveThatPrius

LoveThatPrius New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TucsonDave @ Sep 15 2006, 03:41 PM) [snapback]320239[/snapback]</div>
    Dave,
    Sorry, to hear about your car. Holy Cow, did it get ripped! The prius really held up well! The pick-up looks alot worst than the Prius. Did the other driver get hurt?
    I suppose the insurance settlement is fair considering it is about a 3 year old car now. However you didn't ask for the accident, so the other insurance company should be more generous. Unfortunately most companies never give you what it is worth to you, not to mention the hassle of replacing the vehicle.
    I am glad you were OK.
    I hope you enjoy the new one!
    Greg

15. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Sorry you lost your Prius, and I'm glad you're ok. I know it's a huge hassle, but at least you're ok.

My old car was t-boned in April - it was 8 years old with no collision coverage, and of course it didn't have side air bags. But I walked away from the accident - if the other car had hit me about 4 inches close to the front, I'd be dead. When I picked up my new plates for my new Prius, the plate number was UPD58L - I had to laught - Update - I'm 58 and I'm Living! Whenever I start to feel sorry for myself about the loss and the hassle, I think about my license plate.

My new car has side air bags, of course!

It's too bad your insurance company won't cover you for more time on a rental car. I rented from Enterprise and they gave me their rate for cars being covered by an insurance company even though I was paying for it myself. It was about $20/day, compared to around $27 per day for the same kind of rate from Avis and Hertz in my area.

Good luck finding a new car quickly, even if you have to travel to get it. Compare the savings on a rental car with the travel cost - it might be worth a plane ticket.

16. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    wow! smack in the middle of the doors. The areas in front and behind are untouched. Couldn't ask for a more perfect side impact for maximum protection.

17. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TucsonDave @ Sep 15 2006, 03:10 PM) [snapback]320266[/snapback]</div>
    Hi Dave, I'm glad it's only the car that's damaged. What I want to know is, who is your insurance company? I want to make sure I don't have them.

18. TucsonDave

TucsonDave New Member

Safeco. And the other guys is State Farm.

19. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i would be interested in what your insurance company collects from the other guys insurance company.

20. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    For a fully loaded model that sounds kind of low to me--but maybe Arizona isn't as high in valuation as the west coast is.

I do think you need to escalate the question of paying for a rental car to a supervisor. Let THEM try to get you a replacement in 3 days!!!! Sheesh! And yes, the other company should be paying for your deductible since you were not at fault (perhaps that amount will come from a different department???). Anyway, that's something else to fight for.

I'm so glad you're OK!!