1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another Prius Accident

Discussion in 'Local Prius Club Main Forum' started by DaveinOlyWA, Aug 9, 2006.

1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    no.

a good time to remember that to err is human, to forgive (as long as the other insurance company is paying for ALL of it) divine

2. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ok, things are looking up. traded in the Cavalier for a corolla with A/C, 6 CD stereo, auto... not bad...but the similiarities (albeit slight) makes me miss my Prius that much more

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    At least it's a Corolla.

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I didn't see this post sooner. So sorry to learn of your accident, Dave, but very relieved that nobody was hurt and the other company is paying. Of course you should insist on all new panels, not just "repairing" the damaged ones. This has nothing to do with "making the other guy pay," and everything to do with restoring the pre-accident value of your car.

5. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    the pix may not do justice. but i can assure you the panels are not repairable. not even close. all of them have torn metal besides the creasing.

as far as the accident, the "collision" was as mild as you can get. my SO was half asleep in the front passenger seat lying down and was not aware that we were involved in the accident until she got out of the car. she had heard and thought we had avoided any damage.

6. benighted

benighted New Member

Wow. It sounds like DUALPWR Prius absorbed the impact very well.
    Other cars are always pulling out in front of me and making left turns on the highway almost as if they are aiming for my car.
    Are our cars invisible?! I drive with my headlights on all the time too!

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(benighted @ Aug 11 2006, 07:59 PM) [snapback]301916[/snapback]</div>
    Maybe they're like mosquitoes. They're attracted to the white-ish blue light.

8. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

Dave, I'm like Daniel just saw this post tonight and sorry to see your Tideland ripped open front to back. All of that damage is repairable and I don't think the thermos got hit or you'd have A/F on the ground. Let us know how things go with this. PS I know a really good body shop up here.

9. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    thanks all. im sure its repairable. the collision impact was so minor there is very little chance of frame damage. if it werent for the wait period involved, i would hope they totalled it so i could get an 07 with SKS. but not likely and i would miss my Prius anyway.

as the other insurance company is paying $21 a day for my rental, hopefully, they will not drag their feet on this. still expect it to be at least 2 weeks??? or would it be longer? hope not.

10. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Sorry to hear about your accident! And, of course, I'm glad that no one was hurt and that the insurance things are well under way.

11. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Another Lame Duck. I am glad you are both OK!! Trust no one on the road! It is really amazing how modern care take the impact and let us "sleep" through it. If you would have been an a '57 iron box you would have felt all of it, and the car would have had a bit of paint damage. Stick them for the difference in mpg!! Anyway the people are all good! Post pictures of the car when done. Just OEM parts!

12. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    just received the call from USAA's adjuster and they will be totaling the car. estimated repair costs will exceed $15,000. their total loss department will be contacting me in a few days to arrange a title transfer. they are expected to offer about $21,500 for my car.

i had a 2004 pkg #1 with rear wiper. paid 19,990 + wiper and destination charges for a total of about $20,700 before taxes. i had just over 28,000 miles on it.

will be going back to Toyota of Olympia to get another Prius. always regretted not getting SKS or side airbags...definitely didn't want to get it this way though...hopefully, the wait will be a short one. more to follow

13. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    WOW! They totaled the car? It did not look like that much damage. ( It looked like a lot but looked fixable for a lot cheaper than $15,000 ) I'm glad everyone was OK. I'm also glad your getting a Prius with airbags all around.

14. Zerkster

Zerkster New Member

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

That poor car, oh wow, ow my, dang....
    how long will she be under ? Any word yet as to the damages? **gasp** that poor car....
    well... any word yet from the doctor??? ouch i had to look at the pictures again (is muted and left silent)

oh by the way glad your ok though... still that poor car... '; ,;

15. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ya, personally i think its an insurance-automobile company scam. they are willing to pay me over $6000 more than the repair cost?? obviously they will sell it and someone will salvage it and make something on it which forces me to buy another new car.

16. harrv

harrv Member

When my Prius was rear-ended last December, I hoped that it would be declared totaled. Anything else and it really can't be restored to pre-accident value. So, I think the result is good for you.

When I saw your pictures I was pretty sure they'd declare it totaled. Sounds like they're treating you fairly. If it were me, I'd be pleased.

17. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well, i am pleased. although it will cost me at least a few grand, i will be getting a new car with the options i wished i had ordered in the first place and after sales tax, it will have cost me probably about $2000 a year to have driven my old Prius for the nearly 26 months i had it.

so i will probably come out ok. only thing i am worried about is the wait time for my new Prius. not really willing to look far and wide for one.

18. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

holly crap they totaled that! oh well on to a 06 with all the tits and knobs. The SKS is cool I must admit. Too bad they still haven't resolved the turning circle issue. Make sure you get the CAN-view out of it. Some one will buy that from you. Still another unresolved issue with the 06's. Let us know what all happens.

19. genalex

genalex Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Aug 10 2006, 08:39 PM) [snapback]301207[/snapback]</div>
    If the car is less than 1 yr old, you are entitled to new parts replacement. If you use a Toyota dealer's body shop, Toyota insists that they be genuine Toyota parts. That'll get you the biggest bill you can imagine.

20. theorist

theorist Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Aug 16 2006, 08:42 PM) [snapback]304391[/snapback]</div>
    When I lived in California years ago, if an insurance company salvaged your car, you were entitled to buy it for a few hundred dollars with a salvaged title. I'd suggest that you inquire with your state's insurance commisioner as well as your own insurance company and finally the other insurer about this.

With a salvaged title, you probably won't be able to get useful collision or comprehensive insurance. Even if you don't want to repair and keep this Prius, you may be able to very easily sell the car for thousand. With a little searching, you may be able to sell it for a few thousand more. Check out ebay.