1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another Prius Accident

Discussion in 'Local Prius Club Main Forum' started by DaveinOlyWA, Aug 9, 2006.

1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    actually, the Prius has a high salvage value which is part of the reason it is totaled after it reaches 70% in value for repair costs as the adjuster explained to me.

i didnt follow his explanation as it would be counterintuitive to me that the point at which a car is totaled would be lower if the salvage value was higher.

i have a friend who was recently in an accident who didnt have her vehicle totaled and im pretty sure that her repair cost had to exceed 80% of the value of the vehicle.

i think this 70% value statement reflects the higher resale value of the Prius more than anything else. despite its used status, my Prius is valued 10% more than its new price. so, i dont know. im sure i can make money on salvage, the battery is in good shape. the entire right side of the car is in good shape too. but really dont want the headache. just get another one.

2. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Totaled! I can't believe it. And yet I can several people have reported a "minor" accident with all air bags going off and the insurance company "totaled" the car. Can you drive the rental until they get you the car you want? They should! I have to say that I am getting tired of "insurance" companies who do nothing and take your money. This does not make any sense at all if the frame is intact the car should be repaired!

3. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    the adjuster has already told me i have the rental for 3 days after a settlement has been reached. which if im lucky, i can get another Prius in 6-12 weeks (hopefully less!!) which means i'll be driving my F-150 and getting killed at the pump. with only 5½ miles to work and and several more weeks of good weather, biking may be in my future.

4. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Aug 11 2006, 07:38 PM) [snapback]301903[/snapback]</div>
    Whoa. So sorry Dave. I just picked up on this thread. We just got our Prius back last Thur. after 8 weeks in the shop. The lightweight skin of the Prius is very vunerable. We ended up with $15k damage in a less than 15 mph accident.

The repaired car seems to be ok. There are a few new scratches on the center console and a small tear in it's cover that is new too. They will fix they say. Overall the car seems pretty normal except the steering seems even more vague than the normal deadness. I find my self over-correcting a lot. We are going to recheck alignement and try the .1 toe-in to see if it corrects the problem. Also gained a plastic noise that drove me crazy. But I think I found it in a loose center speaker grille. I have to wait a month to have the invisible bra reapplied.

This experience has sort of detached me from the Prius. Now it's just a car that's had an accident. It took twice as long as usual to repair due to the electrical damage. And now seems a bit odd to drive. Mainly I feel disconnected from the driving experience. But hopefully this will return. Though actually I would have preferred they had totalled it.

5. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    bummer to hear about your accident. funny that my estimated cost was $15,000 and they totaled mine. of course yours is newer i guess. 8 weeks in the shop?? man that is tough. i figure it will probably be about the same amount of time to get my new one in.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    $15k for that?!?! damn, toyota really is using expensive ultra high tensile steel haha.

Oh well, another Tideland lost but at least you get to have SKS and all the other cool features!

7. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(harrv @ Aug 16 2006, 09:05 PM) [snapback]304408[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry to read about that, but I agree. Better to be totaled, in the long run. I had a '02 nB that got $12,000 in damage when it got rear ended, and the car was only $17,000 new, but they did not total it.

Still not sure why not. While the car drove fine (after I got it back, some six weeks later), I think that there was more internal stress on the car then visible, since parts started breaking earlier then they should have.

8. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Hudon @ Aug 16 2006, 06:49 PM) [snapback]304424[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry to hear. Awfully poor timing too. At least you got out of it by the skin of your ... whatever..

Can you pull your other mods like the BT plate that you can carry over, and then forward onto a shiny '07? Prius. :)

What package/color are you aiming for now?

9. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm not too surprised they totalled it. Even though the damage was just to the outer panels, car parts are obscenely expensive. - And although they are giving you more than the cost to repair it, a repaired car is never worth what it was before the accident. Would you pay blue book for a car that had been in an accident? I wouldn't. I'd say the insurance company is being good about this.

Sure, they'll sell it for whatever they can, and they'll get back some of what they're giving you. They may even come out better giving you the 21.5 and selling the car than if they repaired the car for you, if they can sell it for more than the difference.

Anyhoo -- You should definitely get VSC this time around, as well as SKS. SKS is a sweet convenience. VSC can be a life saver. Good luck on finding one quickly.

10. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ya actually its not steel, all the parts are aluminum. its funny because when i reported it to my insurance company, i told then it was just comestic damage along one side with no frame damage and they told me it would probably be totaled. when she told me that, i figured she didnt know what she was talking about. apparently body parts for Priues are sky-high.

in a way, im glad i will get another Prius with a 2nd chance at some options, but the '06's not being compatible with CANVIEW is a HUGE disappointment. the BT plate besides not being able to get to it, i wouldnt take it because it was in an accident, (not really thinking it was damaged, but not expensive enough to worry about it)

i did grab the ipod adapter, but unable to disassemble the dash (really only had about 20 mins to do this, was called late in the afternoon and because of storage fees, had to get the stuff out that same day) so left the cables for CANVIEW and the VAIS. hopefully that will be cheap...

now should i hope CANVIEW will be adapted for the 06's or just sell what i got. pretty sure Norm has already said it was a lost cause

11. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

ya Norm has said it's probably a lost cause on the 2k6 BUT you know Norm. It's coming up for winter again and who knows what the dark days of December will bring. I remember when it was 4 graphs.

12. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ya you have a point there...boredom and long canadian winters can be a lethal combination!

13. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Aug 16 2006, 08:51 PM) [snapback]304476[/snapback]</div>
    Estimate was for $12K. Actual was $15K. And now the car doesn't steer quite right. Has even more wanderlust than normal. It will be going back for a recheck of alignment. I may try the toe-in (.1?) if I can get the specs.

14. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Begreen @ Aug 17 2006, 09:08 PM) [snapback]305114[/snapback]</div>
    has the 0 point on the steering been reset since the car was repaired? Might be all it needs. Dealer does it with the Hand Held Tester (THHT) Just re 0's the computer so it knows where the steering torque sensors are in relation to the steering rack.

15. Prianista

Prianista Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Just now seeing the news of your accident. I'm so glad to hear no one was hurt. I followed your experiences on PriusChat for months before getting my own Prius so the loss feels a little personal.

Pardon this if you've already checked, but remember that Washington state law requires the insurance company to offer a settlement adequate to purchase a replacement of the same year with similar miles driven and similar options. Once that number is calculated, tax and license must be added to the settlement.

When my car was totalled a few months ago, my insurance company was great, but their first offer seemed low for such a popular, hard to find car, new or used. When I politely questioned the offer, they were great about double checking the current market value and quickly came up with a much more accurate figure.

Hope to see the pictures of your 2007 w/SKS soon.

16. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    thanks for the heads up. i did not know that tax and license was included in the settlement. the only word i have so far is from the adjuster who mentioned $21500 which is actually market value for my Prius with 28,000 miles on it, but if taxes were added on, that would make the actual pay out closer to 23,000. will have to definitely mention that.

17. ibcs

ibcs New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    From the pictures, I can't believe that vehicle was totalled with the pictures you posted. I hope you get a bright new shining Prius for your troubles.

Good luck,
    ---Kent

18. Prianista

Prianista Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Aug 18 2006, 06:21 AM) [snapback]305268[/snapback]</div>
    From the Insurance Commissioner's website:
    http://www.insurance.wa.gov/factsheets/fac...FctShtRcdNum=47

19. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Hudon @ Aug 17 2006, 09:31 PM) [snapback]305125[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the tip Frank. I'll ask.

20. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Dave,
    Just came upon this thread. Sorry to hear your baby got totaled, but as you say, new chance for SKS airbags etc.

Hang in there. You may want to try other dealers to get in before Sept. 30th...I know - not much benefit to you, but maybe you will win the lottery between now and year -end! Your luck has to get better!