1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another Prius Accident

Discussion in 'Local Prius Club Main Forum' started by DaveinOlyWA, Aug 9, 2006.

1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well the other lady's adjuster called last friday to advise that it would be submitted to the total loss department and i would hear from them in a few days. it has now been 7 and they have not contacted me yet. anyone know how fast this stuff happens?

they are (or were) paying for my rental car. i did have to give my credit card although im not paying for it. now im afraid that they will start charging my card without my knowledge. will call them one more time and check on progress. also, i have already ended insurance on my Prius and transferd it to my truck. beginning to think that that might have been a bit premature.

2. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Aug 25 2006, 10:58 AM) [snapback]309272[/snapback]</div>
    Well, I had a long experience, I am afraid. However, my mother in law, was done in 7 days, (she just had a totaled car experience, and bought a '06 Prius because of it).

So, I am hoping for your sake, it's on the short end of the deal.

3. Lola&#39;05

Lola&#39;05 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Aug 16 2006, 11:25 PM) [snapback]304465[/snapback]</div>

Have you talked to anyone at USAA about helping you get a new Prius in a timely manner? They have car buyer service. Recruit them to help. I have had insurance with them for years and I feel they have always treated me fairly and have been very helpful.

4. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well i am pretty loyal to my local dealer and i do have access to two other vehicles to drive so im not walking by any means. but after driving my Prius for two years, driving ANYTHING else is a huge letdown

5. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Aug 25 2006, 05:06 PM) [snapback]309582[/snapback]</div>
    Dave I took my car in for the steering recall today and there was a wrecked Prius there that Mike was going to start on this week. The front end was bad, bad, bad. Mike said he is going to have to pull the entire ICE, PSD, MG1, MG2 assembly and the battery. That does not include body work. He figured at least 15 hours for labor alone at shop rates you do the math. The insurance company is fixing it "because of its high resale value" I think I would talk to Mike today or tonight. BTW he did not know about your car. Compared to your car he got the Popemobiel dropped on him and you got a blessing from the back row of the plaza. Does not make sense to me at all.

6. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i FINALLY received a call back from the USAA guy who was involved with my claim and he said because of the high settlement total, it had to be approved by management before it could be sent to the total loss department.

so should hear today or tommorow from them. keep in mind, if i elect to salvage the vehicle, it would be deducted from my claim. the USAA rep said that salvage was usually "pretty high" on them. he did not elaborate on what that meant.

7. 240sxer

240sxer New Member

Wow.. Good luck man.. My plates are "DULPWRD" I copied you ;)

I'm in California though. When they offer you an amount you should always try to get more, because when you actually go to buy one sometimes you'll be surprised (assuming you are buying used even though I know you are not) how bad some take care of their car.

What is SKS?

I have an 06 with 21k miles on it (I have yet to find another 06 with more miles). Makes me wonder what i'd get for mine. I paid cash for the car then I recently got a loan out on it to pay off some other bills, the company apprased mine at $29,700 a package #6, 2006 with 18k miles (at that time).

I'd try for more than they are giving you, not to rip them off but to be fair. Consiter your car's condition....

8. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Aug 29 2006, 06:53 AM) [snapback]311069[/snapback]</div>
    You have a good car and should get top dollar. Prii are in demand. Balance the old car, payment from insurance and all the factors. Have you been to Eifler's site recently? If not look on the product page. There is a 06 & > CAN View in development. It will have some advantages like a separate screen so you will have the CAN-View and the rest of the MFD screens. Something to ponder. Keep all of us posted. Interesting dilemma. What is the wait on a 07? Gas prices are dipping so you could drive your beast and get the new baby as the prices rise? So many decisions.

9. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    interesting dilemma i am in. on the one hand, i want to find out what the settlement is going to be, but on the other hand, i have to give up the rental (2005 Corolla) within 3 days after the settlement.

i have a 6-8 week wait for my new Prius, so i kinda want USAA to drag this out another 4-5 weeks or so. that would minimize my time driving my 15 mpg pickup.

financing the new vehicle without the settlement is not a problem, so dont need the settlement money first. would be nice to get my replacemnt first a day or two before the settlement, but must admit, kinda anxious as to what the amount would be

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(240sxer @ Aug 29 2006, 08:40 AM) [snapback]311132[/snapback]</div>
    SKS: Smart Key System. its what allows you to enter and start the car without inserting the key fob

10. 240sxer

240sxer New Member

Okay, I got it. I thought all Gen II priuses came with it. I guess not. Does yours have the same key you just have to insert it every time?

11. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well fob is similiar looking with minor differences and yes i had to insert it all the time. i hear about so many people walking off forgetting to shut down their cars, i am a bit nervous about this... hopefully, i will not do what many here have done

12. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    No need to be nervous about it. SKS is SO nice to have, and you'll feel even more like a space-man walking up to your little pod-vehicle and having it unlock at the touch of your hand, and start with only the button, no more elaborate fumbling with the fob to jam it into the dash!

Just recognize that it's not the same as what you're used to, and make a little ritual out of "parking brake - [park button - optional] - power".

Being nervuos about it though I think is like the rest of us being nervous about having our cars totalled because there are a few people in here who have had it happen.

13. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Aug 31 2006, 07:00 AM) [snapback]312126[/snapback]</div>
    SKS is great. I have even moved the things in my pockets. No need to worry about getting to the key ring I rarely pull it out, so the wallet is on top and the cell is on the other side in the pocket. I had a bad experience where my cell fell off my belt into the toilet. Needless to say it was DOA. It was an expensive experience. Now no more belt clips! Go with the flow.

14. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ha ha Henry...been there, done that too!!

15. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i finally got the call from the adjuster and have mailed off the title.

for a car i spent 19,990 for. after add ons, taxes, destination charges and etc.

my total out of pocket expense was $22,317.44

i drove it 25 months, put 28,000 miles on it and USAA provided a rental car for 3 weeks, and will send me a check for $23,509.80

now i know the TRUE meaning of hybrid premium

hehehe

16. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Sep 1 2006, 10:54 AM) [snapback]312852[/snapback]</div>
    If it is good for you it is good for me. Now when does the new Prius arrive, and have you sent an email to Norm yet ordering the new CAN View as soon as it is available.

17. Prianista

Prianista Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Sep 1 2006, 10:54 AM) [snapback]312852[/snapback]</div>
    Wow.

18. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

wow you got paid to drive a Prius for 2 years. Not much but your still above what the average SUV driver has to pay to drive them for 2 years.

19. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    That is good but do they reimburse for the dollars lost because of the difference in gas milage? :)

20. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    no. but in my state, they also reinburse based on replacement cost which would include taxes, licenses, etc