1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another Prius bites the dust

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by wowser, Aug 12, 2008.

1. jelloslug

jelloslug It buffed right out!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    :peep: You wanna sell any parts? ;)

2. wowser

wowser New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks everybody. Got a lawyer (actually married to one but doesn't specialize in this) who said we should be in good shape. Lots of people at fault. I just want my Prius back. I really miss that car. I even sang to it.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I know this may be personal, but what did you sing?

-Chap

4. PriuStorm

PriuStorm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Just saw this post... I'm very glad you're ok. Sorry the Prius took the hit, but it looks like everything performed exactly as it should have. And for those who worry about the big battery in the back, you essentially got hit from both side in the rear... hope you're feeling ok as the days pass.

5. tlaine

tlaine New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I'm glad that you are ok, though, I know you really aren't ok, because your missing your Prius. =( I've cried countless tears over my own as well.

I'm sorry to bring it up in this thread, but I find it sad and sorely lacking sympathy from all the people who say "whoohoo more spare parts" or some such statement when someone tells their story of their wrecked Prius. Those aren't "spare parts".. they are OUR cars.. our BELOVED cars that were destroyed because of someone elses carelessness. :p Please use a little more compassion when saying something like that. How would you feel if someone said that about YOUR Prius if you just lost it in an accident?

6. wowser

wowser New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <<I know this may be personal, but what did you sing?>>
    Oh, just stupid ditties about my devoted love for my Prius. My wife would just roll her eyes.

7. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    And what do you sing to her?

btw, on the topic of the document you signed when the police entered your hospital room at 10:30 pm to awaken you from your morphine-induced sleep . . . well, I'm guessing your wife knows full well that you can disavow whatever you signed. All the same, I suggest you make your other lawyer aware of that event.

More to the point:
    1. I am VERY glad to hear you survived with more intact than your body;
    2. I share at least some of your sentiments about losing your Prius; and
    3. Please continue to share how things progress in your healing and your quest for a new Prius.

8. mattlangley7

mattlangley7 New Member

Glad the prius did exactly what it was meant to do for you as well as for me. Good luck finding another prius matching what you had though. I've been on an 'allocation' / waiting list for a 2008/2009 prius to replace mine.

T-Boned in July / 3 passengers in the car + driver (me)
    Everyone walked away without any scratches/ minor bruises from seatbelt, that's all! Perfect vehicle, extremely safe. I can't wait for my new package 6.

Pictures similar:

Attached Files:

9. ranchogirl

ranchogirl New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Wow! I'm so glad you are ok! Can I ask, had you had passengers in the back, would they have been ok too? As someone who totes around 2 kids in one of 2 Priuses I'm definitely curious.

I would guess that both the drunk driver AND the police doing the chasing are at fault in your situation.

10. wowser

wowser New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Re. backseat safety, see below (posted earlier). Yes, I have a lawyer working on this. I never heard any sirens. Not sure if they weren't on or the criminal was far ahead of the police. In any case, they are investigating. All I know is I am not at fault. I just want to be where I was pre accident: 08 Pkg 2 prius with leather, with $420 month payments with 50 to go.

_______

Yes, both side airbags went off all along the side of the car to the back. The rear area was pretty much intact. The seats and seat backs weren't pushed in or intruded on much, if at all. I think had my kids been in the back they would have had minor injuries but been shaken badly and sore like I am from the trauma. I am sold on the Prius' safety. Now if can only get another one. My fears are being realized as I believe inventory has dried up and I will probably be paying a lot more monthly for a replacement. All because a stupid drunk driver thought he could outrun the police after getting plastered.

11. wowser

wowser New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    mattlangley7, I am most interested in your situation since it so closely matches mine. Did you get replacement value or KBB from insurance? Was it enough to cover a new car with prices higher now? Also, why is it taking so long to get a new car and are you stuck paying for a rental? Please give me details or point me to a link of your story if it's here at PC. Thanks!

12. PattiRose

PattiRose New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I reared a Honda in June with my 2005 Prius. I was alone in the car, both front airbags went off. Kept me safe. Both of us walked away. But I ordered my new Prius on June 13 and have no idea of when it will be in. I'm driving my husband's Solara until my new baby arrives. :(

13. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Re: And another Prius bit the dust

Sorry to hear of your accident but happy you did not suffer serious injury.
    Cars can be renewed or fixed relatively easily but not people.
    We had a similar experience this past May enroute to Nova Scotia when in Hanover Park, IL an unlicenced driver running a red light T-boned us while we were making a left turn on a green arrow. Fortunately two witnesses gave the police statements to support our having a green arrow. The hit was relatively soft for us and the dog but not the front end of our beloved Prius which lay in pieces along the highway. Hanover Park police were efficient and very helpful even driving us to their station to contact Toyota and our British Columbia Provincial insurance company ICBC.
    The worst part was waiting for 12 days in a Elgin motel waiting for the local appraiser to tell Toyota Canada that the vehicle was a write-off. After a six day drive back to BC in a rental arriving on a Friday our Nanaimo Toyota salesman, Rick Roach and team, had our replacement 2008, including same colour, waiting for us to pick up on Monday. We also want to publicly thank our ICBC claims adjuster, Sharron Spierenburg, for a speedy settlement of all valid insurance claims and for her morale support via emails for the whole period--- certainly beyond all expectations.
    Another of our many life experiences.
    Gary

Attached Files:

14. mattlangley7

mattlangley7 New Member

I did not get replacement value, but was able to get insurance rate, I don't know what book they were using to equate value. I did research KBB prior to their estimate. I had my insurance company prepare a total loss rate as well. When the opposing insurance company quoted me a rate for my 2006 with 40,000 mi. it was comparable to KBB and GMAC total loss rate (only >$2,000 less). I had her insurance company comp me a rental (she had rental insurance on her policy). Prii are very difficult to purchase now due to the high demand (all people seem to want a prius now, 'yuppies'), end of year (2009 coming into market), and supply is low (est. 2009's 70% increase in development). No matter how much you plea with dealers, right now they will rape the consumer by overcharging with nonrefundable deposits, 'finders' fee's, and over sticker price due to the former conditions. I put $500 refundable deposit down on a 2009 in late July. Dealers are charging sticker prices for rental prii and preowned. Make sure you trust your dealer if you want to replace your prius. It's not like it was 2 years ago, I order a prius to my specs. The market is bearing small compact cars, buyer beware!

15. Shimpy II

Shimpy II New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I really wanted a green one, too. Had to settle for white to get it quickly. I'm glad you're okay. Sad for the Prius, though.

16. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

This is the rudest comment ever on this site. Woo Hoo my as*. This guy got drilled by a drunk. Your quite the jerk or lawyer. Both being the same.
    And as if a lawyer can help you get a car quicker. A jerk and a moron all in the same post. You owe the op an apology.

17. jelloslug

jelloslug It buffed right out!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Looks like someone peed in your corn flakes this morning.

18. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Looks like your car did it's job...

I agree... Get another one Bra... it's already proved it's worthy.

19. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'd offer the old "pot and kettle" thing here, but I don't even agree with your premise that the posting was rude. Clearly the poster was more interested in the health of the driver, not the "health" of the machine.

Considering the time of day (night) you wrote out your posting, I'll just assume you were not operating at full capacity. I'm certain you would prefer to rewrite your comments, instead of allowing such a rude and hateful post to remain.

If you have ever worked with a lawyer in the handling of an insurance claim, then it appears you asked a probate lawyer to do the work. (And some of my best friends are probate lawyers.) You don't have to like lawyers or even think they have value. You also can also libel and slander to your heart's content (anonymously), but I think doing it in the guise of shaming someone into non-rude behavior goes a bit beyond the pale.