1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another Prius Car Camping Set Up Video - Refinements

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by JimmyPri, Sep 4, 2017.

1. JimmyPri

JimmyPri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just posted another Prius car camping video about impoving the experience.

2. Ferrarilover

Ferrarilover Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I love your videos. Very informative for someone who wants to soak up everything about Prius. Thank you.

iPhone ?

3. MichelleStone

MichelleStone Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Cool video. I wish I could manage this with my dog but she's an "in your face dog." An added plus is she vomits every time we go anywhere. I put a U shaped thingy in the back and lots of towels. When she does her deed, I roll up the towel and stick it in a plastic bag. If she ever gets used to car travel, she can sit up front which will give me more traveling options.

4. JimmyPri

JimmyPri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you for the comment Ferrarilover and thanks for watching. I have other types of car, camping, nature, and garden videos on my youtube channel. But I don't post them here since they don't involve the Prius. My channel is Wonderful Wandering Topics.

5. JimmyPri

JimmyPri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the comment MichelleStone and thanks for watching. Sorry to hear you can't camp with your dog in the car.

6. SirScotalot

SirScotalot New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Really enjoy your videos. So far you're the only person I've come across to car camp in a gen 4 on youtube. Hope to get one myself eventually and try some camping myself. Recall you mentioning about having to keep the windows ajar because the battery gives off fumes?

7. JimmyPri

JimmyPri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for your comment and for watcing my videos. I feel safer with a window cracked open, actually two windows. I don't know for sure if there always fumes being given off maybe someone on this chat knows. But even if not unusual things once in a while happen. I feel it is better to be safe accidents sometimes happen in situations that weren't supposed work that way.

RCO likes this.
  8. benkhanobi

benkhanobi Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have an oversize teardrop camper that I am not entirely happy with, because I don't like parking next to semi trucks in rest stops at night. Had I known about Prius camping, when I owned my Gen 2, I might have tried car camping.
    A harborfreight.com, small size ATV cargo carrier, item #69858, would allow a person to have a rear storage trunk-
    the rack weights 26 lbs.

9. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe, but not with a Gen 4 Prius as they're not cleared for towing in USA

10. benkhanobi

benkhanobi Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The rear cargo carrier, attaches to a regular frame hitch= the same kind used for a bike rack. I made several trips to get gasoline for my generator this past week ( Hurricane Irma's aftermath) and I commented to the wife how I needed just such a rack. I didn't like putting a 5 gallon can of gasoline in the back of our Dodge minivan or my Chevy HHR- I even bagged it in a garbage bag.
    My Chevrolet HHR is rated for a 1000 lb trailer- and I exceeded that load by about 50% with my camper and gear- never once saw hot water temps and I got 16-18 mpg.

RCO likes this.
  11. Yippeekyaa

Yippeekyaa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Yeah, well.......... then there is this. Just returned from a 6300 mile trip towing my small camper. It tows nicely tyvm. All those states since thanksgiving, in a Prius towing a trailer, go figure. This trip I towed it to the top of pikes peak. Transmission fluid temps never got above 180. The gen4 is rated to tow in Europe.

IMG_6119.JPG IMG_7344.JPG IMG_7347.JPG

SFO and benkhanobi like this.
  12. benkhanobi

benkhanobi Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sweet! I gotta love a camping trip like yours.:)

Yippeekyaa likes this.
  13. JimmyPri

JimmyPri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for your information. The Prius isn't set up to tow in the US