1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another Prius CarPC

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by squirrelal, Feb 7, 2006.

1. ibcs

ibcs New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks for the pictures. I just ordered the motorized screen from Short-Circuit.com. I ordered the touchscreen and the computer parts from them.

I searched every web site and as of today, they do not make a Monitor with touch screen that includes a DVD player. I'm going to get an external USB drive to hook up to the computer to play DVD's. I wanted the touch screen for safety more than the DVD player.

I already have the Verizon wireless Internet card from work, so I will add a external antenna along with an amplifier for the wireless Internet to maintain connection throughout the state. Yes, I like the Internet.

I'll send pictures once the weather breaks.

I also purchased the Kenwood KSC-SW1 sub-woofer to be installed into my baby.

2. squirrelal

squirrelal New Member

Except for some glare during the daytime, everything works pretty great. Hopefully I can figure out how to program a day gamma, backlight setting, or something with the xenarc to make things more pleasant.

When the car starts in below 40 weather, it seems like the boot time increases quite a bit: about a minute, instead of about 35 seconds. The GPS sensor also (maybe obviously) starts up faster depending on the weather.

Above all, everything so far has made the driving experience much more pleasant!

3. DocToss

DocToss Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    One suggestion for a car computer may be the new dualcor.com computer. When it comes out I may try it and see.

4. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    ^^^
    That is a slick device. It would work nicely as a basic all-in-one carpc. You'd just need to hook up power and sound and mount it. Great option for people that don't want too much setup hassle

5. ilusnforc

ilusnforc Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Has anyone found any other solutions for the touchscreen? I just picked up my '06 yesterday and I want to install a voompc with a touchscreen in the map slot. I like that the door can still close to conceal the screen, but I do not like that it does not slide in and out smoothly.

6. Travisx2

Travisx2 New Member

Has anyone had any luck patching a carPC like this into the MFD? Utilizing the touch screen functionality also?
    (Other than the mac mini car PC thing)

7. gbrrs

gbrrs New Member

This is my first post at Priuschat. I was wondering about the Skin that your cousin Presto was working on. I really like how it matches the Prius GUI! Your post was the main inspiration for me to put a carpc into my prius. The install is clean, stealthy and seems to be quite functional. I've already made a few mods to my prius: Lockpick, Valor iLink L2 and a hitch. Here's the rundown on the new carpc install.

Vista C7 1.5GHz MB
    M2-ATX 160W DC-DC Pwr Supply
    VOOM PC Enclosure
    P0701 Touch Screen (7-inch)
    Garmin GPS18
    SW: XP, Roadrunner, Garmin nRoute and City Navigator
    [attachmentid=8467][attachmentid=8468]
    I'm not sure if any of the previous mods will be helpful to the carpc install. Is there anything else that I need for the carpc system? I'm still waiting for the components to arrive so I'm looking for info before I dismantle my dash.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(squirrelal @ Feb 7 2006, 12:19 AM) [snapback]204995[/snapback]</div>

Attached Files: