1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another Prius in the family fleet

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by m.wynn, Dec 18, 2016.

1. m.wynn

m.wynn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Quick story of my 24 year old daughter adding a 3rd Prius to our all-Toyota-since-'93 family fleet, joining myself (2010 @132k miles), 18 year old daughter ('07 at 167k) and wife ('05 Sienna @ 155k).

This spring she started getting anxious about her '99 Camry @ just a tick over 200k miles and by mid-summer decided a new-to-her Prius was in order. She asked me to help her shop, and in early September I came across a nice looking Blizzard Pearl 2011 over in Woodstock, Vt., stating excellent condition @ 53k miles. It had all dealer service records including my preferred oil changes at 5k intervals. After giving her a quick pulse and glide lesson and rundown on what to look for she headed over to check it out, and bought it immediately on the spot for $11k. My wife and I got saddled with going to pick it up and were stunned. It's the cleanest 5 year old car I've ever seen, immaculate inside and out, under the hood and under the car. Came with as new Ecopias and 4 nearly new Altimax snows. She's put 5k miles on it and it runs as new, not using any oil. I'm really quite jealous. I should have made her a deal on my 2010 and bought it for myself!

Attached Files:

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Nice looking, clean, low mileage car! I like the dash in particular, that's what ours looks like, no MFD, suits me fine.

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm beginning to think I should do 5k oil changes too

m.wynn and Mendel Leisk like this.
  4. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Sweet! Looks like the hub caps are missing. That model came with tacky plastic wheel covers; they're missing. But you can buy silver dollar-sized Toyota hubcaps from the dealer for less than $10 each.

5. CNYhybrid

CNYhybrid Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Rebound likes this.
  6. CNYhybrid

CNYhybrid Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  7. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Looks like the tranny fluid change went well.

8. m.wynn

m.wynn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I pull the covers whenever I wash the cars. They allow a lot of dirt/salt to collect in the rim grooves, which in this region leads to corrosion and pitting in no time. The covers are actually in as incredible shape as the rest of the car!

The factory fill WS looked really good, too, which is different than my experiences with first time drains on our '07 and '10. On both of those the factory fill was pretty dark and nasty. Did inverter coolant straight away, too, although likely quite premature. As @edthefox5 likes to say, the inverter is the heartbeat of these little cars.

edthefox5 and Raytheeagle like this.
  9. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Does that car have heated seats? I have an 2011/ 5 w heated -- I thought one had to get the leather.

I have bought quite a few 5 year old grace kept cars with around 50k -- it's the sweat spot for many vehicles.

10. m.wynn

m.wynn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No heated seats, it's just a model II. I've never owned a car with heated seats and maybe it's a sign of age, but it's starting to sound really good.

Raytheeagle likes this.