1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another remote starter thread.. OEM vs. Aftermarket

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by getinthecar, Dec 18, 2016.

1. getinthecar

getinthecar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hey,

I did a search and some research prior to this so I was hoping to get an opinion on aftermarket and OEM remote starters. There seems to be a lot of complaints, I am hoping for someone to confirm if these are still issues or have been resolved.

I myself have a 2014 Prius (Version 3.) The main reason I want the auto starter is for the car to warm up during colder days as we have will have a baby soon.

OEM
    - You don't lose a keyfob
    - Range is 50 feet to auto start?
    - After auto start is turned on and you enter your car, the car automatically shuts off, you need to turn it on again ("Security feature" I guess so people just don't get in and drive away)
    - Appears to have some issues starting in weather lower then 12 degrees, can someone confirm if this is celsius or fahrenheit? I live in WA state, so if it's fahrenheit which I most likely suspect, it for the most part shouldn't be an issue
    - Does the auto starter automatically turn off after 10-15mins?

Aftermarket (Viper? I read somewhere in the forums is the best?)
    I don't have much information on these but mainly questions.
    - Is there any sort of company that specializes in installing aftermarket remote starters?
    - Will I lose a keyfob?
    - I assume there is most likely no range issue, no "too cold to start" issue
    - Is Viper the recommended auto starter? Any SKU available?

2. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    OEM
    all your statement are right but, 50' feet range is a very good estimate, try "less" .

Aftermarket
    Viper and it's sub-brands are still a very good option.
    Range is not a factor because it works thru "cell" communication for an expensive fee.
    I had a discontinued model installed so can't recommend any latest one.
    I had 4 differents remote starters installed in 6 Prii through 11 years of ownership, it is worth it .

apt5020 likes this.
  3. Unproductive1

Unproductive1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I know this post is a few months old but I just wanted to add that you can have something like directed's 4x10 or the 5x10 (4x10 is remote start only and 5x10 is remote start with additional alarm, neither of them require loosing a keyfob).
    (FYI directed is the owner of viper,Python,Clifford,automate,hornet and others).

You are suppose to be able to use either factory remote (push lock 3x to activate RS) and or a viper or Clifford and others add on remote to allow extended range (they claim up to a mile range line of sight on some).

You can also opt as mrbigh mentioned, for the cell phone app that you have to pay a reoccurring fee for (I think it's called "smart start") but this is not a requirement for the RS system at all, it just adds an added feature.

Even if you opt for aftermarket, the car will still turn off once a door is opened, unless you wire it up in a non standard way, non standard being the "analog" install method where there are more connections needed to be made, it's closer to a old school alarm install. The modern or "digital" way is to tap into the canbus system, much less wire connections and a cleaner install.

4. ECR

ECR Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I have a aftermarket using the oem push3time start on key fob. I really hate that it shuts off immediately after the door is opened. And beeping everytime a door is closed while car is running.

5. Unproductive1

Unproductive1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I thought of a way that it might work, basically it would be to have a output from the alarm that would do a ground when disarmed, then take it to a relay that would break the connection for the can bus wires, this would insure the alarm does not turn the car off.

I have never tried disconnecting the can bus wires after the remote start has been activated so I don't know if it would work, but it could also be the car itself knows it's in remote start mode and the shutdowns happen because the car does it and not the alarm.

Either way the longest my alarm will allow a remote start cycle is 1hr ( I have it set to 30mins), it could be that it won't force the shutdown unless car is in park but in the end I didn't think it was worth messing with.

6. spacecoastbill

spacecoastbill New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Couldnt you disable that through the OBD port?