1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another Rosen Navigation System Install...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Fraychild, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Fraychild

Fraychild New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    To answer some of the questions above -

1 - In the back of the unit, there is a blue wire labeled "brake" - From my experience, it's the infamous wire that allows you to use (or not use) functions while the car is in motion... It is not recommended to do this, but usually when you "ground" these wires, you're allowed access to all settings even while driving. Rosen's instructions are to hook it up to the brake wire of course... :) but who am I to follow such instructions... ;)

2 - To get the cable through the center console, you have to... "remove"... the armrest out of the way... a very easy (I emphasize on easy) step to take to get a clean look... I followed the instructions on pages 17 of this PDF: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...sg=AFQjCNGlpvUt1EP3UGns_RFBmjH4FEo_Fg&cad=rja

3 - The GPS antenna is literally on TOP of the radio unit... the antenna is really small, I'd day a 4"x4" rounded square about 1.5" tall... You can see an example of one here: Antenna GPS 3V Magnetic Mount SMA (SMA-J) - eBay (item 280531786565 end time Nov-05-10 08:30:40 PDT)

4 - Unfortunately, I don't have an Iphone 4 (yet) - but my 3G and my wife's 3GS work... Once the Nano is plugged in, you can control everything via the Touchscreen, the Knob OR the Steering Wheel controls to browse your music etc. Everything happens instantly without any delays... However, I don't believe it displays album art unless I need to mess around with the settings which I haven't really been doing... but you certainly DO NOT need to change things via the Ipod itself...

There is one thing I find quirky with it... and it's the fact that the NAV button on the front of the unit only turns the navigation ON or OFF... if you're in a navigation menu and you hit the NAV button, it won't return you to the "map", it'll just turn off the navigation function and open whatever source that is playing at the moment i.e. the IPOD or RADIO... Rosen could've made that "NAV" button the same as a "MAP" button. And the "MENU" button only works when you're using the sources (RADIO/DVD/CD/MP3/IPOD/PHONE etc.) it doesn't operate when you're in the navigation mode...

Basically, you can tell that the OS running the unit is separate from the SD card that runs the navigation.. :) so they don't share anything in terms of functionality except the touchscreen :) LOL
    My JVC KW NX7000 was like that, but the transitions were a LOT smoother than the Rosen.... these guys could use a few lessons still.. LOL

"MUTE" button works great! "SEEK" buttons work great! "RADIO" button works great! "DISC" and "EJECT" Buttons work like a charm! "NAV" button only turns navigation on and off and serves no other purpose and the "MENU" button only works when the Sources screens are displayed

5 people like this.
  2. tarmac.pilot

tarmac.pilot New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

Heres the pics you been waiting for. This photo was taken with inner lights turned to max. I normally drive with dimmer turned down about 5%(after click) that setting will match almost perfactly.

Attached Files:

3. tarmac.pilot

tarmac.pilot New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yup, litterally on top of the unit! Suprisingly getting full signal strength. Also, I've added Sirius antenna on top of dash under windshield and getting great signal as well.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  4. Cloud

Cloud New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Where did you ground the brake wire? I'm glad for this rosen nav.. all you have to do it ground it cause other HU require more complex triggers.

I see how you took it apart the center console... but I don't see how you snaked the wire from the HU spot all the way to the aux cable spot.

I know that if I ripped it apart first I'd see. But seeing as I'm ordering this HU in a month, I always like to visualize what I have to do before I do it.

5. tarmac.pilot

tarmac.pilot New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the brake grounding info, not having this option was just driving me nuts!

6. PaJa

PaJa Senior member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Cloud: I can use the ground signal from the cable harness between Hu and Toyota conenctors. Simply solder it together. The wiring between HU and center console is easy as 123 - don't worry, Lets open central panels and you'll see - there is plenty of space.

7. PaJa

PaJa Senior member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It looks to me as HU's buttons are not illuminated, am I right?

8. tarmac.pilot

tarmac.pilot New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Its hard show with my phone camera, its not good for dark areas. HU is not as bright and if looking super close, its slightly bluer. But overall on the appearance I am very satisfied.

9. DumbMike

DumbMike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You might want to look at the You Tube video. I think along with Fraychild's pictures and the video, you'd get a pretty good idea on how to do this. Fraychild's pictures give you a better/different angle, but it's nice to see a video explaining Fraychild's pictures. I gotta save some money to buy this thing. I wasn't going to do any of this because I don't use the Bluetooth much, I kinda know where I'm going around town and I'm going deaf so I don't listen to much music. But this sure does look like fun.

Dumb Mike

1 person likes this.
  10. Fraychild

Fraychild New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    LOL - it's a lot of fun!
    That YouTube video helped me out a lot - It helped me visualize what I was going to do ahead of time. From that video, I already knew which parts to take out, where the connectors were, etc etc.

About running the IPod cable - You there is pretty nice gap behind the Climate Control and it opens up into the "shifter" area... You just need to snake the wire through and run it at the bottom of the armrest/center console - I then unplugged and popped out the "AUX" input and ran the wire through there...

I'm a bit of a freak when it comes to things looking as "factory/stock" as possible, so I try to make the unit look like it came as it is from the dealership... lol Also, the USB cable is not the longest, so I ran it into the glovebox (I hardly use it) - and I can tell you that you will NOT need to drill a hole into the glovebox to run it, there are plenty of gaps to take care of that for you!

Ha ha ha - Thanks Tarmac for the picture! That is EXACTLY how I have my antenna mounted... (great minds think alike I guess) LOL

I am more curious about the unit in terms of "functionality" though... I feel that Rosen has really limited it from customization... I wanna be able to access the program files and do some poking around... I already pulled out the GPS SD card and opened up a few files and found out how to change the "Rosen Naviextras" boot splash screen... I don't plan on stopping there... ;)
    Does anyone know if it boots up from a Hard Drive to run the main unit? Or does it use an internal SD card to boot up from...? I want access to the system files but can't find that information ANYWHERE!!!

Why? I'm a former member of http://www.mp3car.com - Way before I started getting involved with in-dash navigation systems, I used to run a CarPC in my previous cars - and I used to be able to change/modify the Front End and make them my own... I'm seeing such potential with the Rosen unit.... so I'm itching...

1 person likes this.
  11. bAthinAzn

bAthinAzn New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    thank you fraychild i really appreciate the help w/ the whole iphone thing
    i went to adcmobile.com and they said $1200 shipped is that a good price for this thing becuz i cant find this HU anywhere!
    is it snappy when u try to push it? fast, any lag??
    and u said it was really EASY even for a begginner who hasnt done anything like this before?
    is there anything i should be careful of when installing this unit?

12. DumbMike

DumbMike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Crutchfield was selling the UN1010-H11 for $1,099.99. That's $100 less. Rosen UN1010-H11 Navigation receiver at Crutchfield.com

I hope that's the correct model number. I talked to the guy at Crutchfield this afternoon and he said it's the right one.

Dumb Mike

13. jfveilleux

jfveilleux Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi!
    It's a universal radio for 2 din. I also talked with a representative... It's not the specific radio for the prius if the representative whas right.

14. Fraychild

Fraychild New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I would strongly advise anyone who's interested to get it from them:
    Frank Motors on Ebay - It's a Toyota Dealership - They are great with communication and ship/respond pretty fast to inquiries. Here's a link:
    Toyota Prius 2010 Rosen In-Dash Multi-Media Navigation: eBay Motors (item 310258571633 end time Dec-04-10 12:43:48 PST)
    You can "Make An Offer" and lower it even more - I made him and offer and got it for $950.00 - Not sure if everyone will have the same luck or even more luck than me... but I personally think that the $1200 is WAY too much for this unit... ;)

I can guarantee that a beginner can install this unit for sure - Just take the time and try not to rush through it - Take the time to tape up around the dash so that things don't get cratched up by accident... I used regular painter's Masking Tape that wouldn't leave any adhesive residues behind.

2 people like this.
  15. bAthinAzn

bAthinAzn New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    thanks fraychild i will make them an offer next month i'm focusing on hooking some subs first.
    then i'll save up for this unit itsss perfect

16. tarmac.pilot

tarmac.pilot New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

I also bought my unit from Franks Motors through Ebay. I paid $1100 shipped, Rosen unit, Sirius, Iphone/usb hook up, rear camera and all necessary cables and all hardware. I used Ebay message to communicate with Scott from Franks Motors to negotiate the price. Also I offered to pay with credit card directly to Dealership to avoid charges from Ebay and Paypal to get this price. Only issue I have is I'm not happy with the rear camera. I thought it would be plug and play but the camera is more universal and is designed to be mounted on or above the rear license plate. It will not fit or look like the factory and requires drilling and disassemble rear bumper. I am hoping I can get factory camera and use the wires that came with Rosen package. If I can figure out which wire is which after splicing the wires and atleast front section is still plug and play.

Fraychild, please let me know if you do succeed in changing that boot logo, you da man!!

Attached Files:

17. Fraychild

Fraychild New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'll definitely share that with everyone - I'm digging - =)

18. bAthinAzn

bAthinAzn New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    so fraychild i found a youtube video showing u how to do it
    is this as easy as it gets?? because i really dont wanna go pay for someone to do it
    if i hook up subs will that be a problem w/ all the wiring?

19. Cloud

Cloud New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Solder what together??? I'm confused

20. Fraychild

Fraychild New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Cloud - You don't really have to solder anything really - Once you pull your old radio out, find any screw that's bolted onto a metal part of the dash and that's your ground - ;)

1 person likes this.