1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another slight for Green HOV stickers

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by CharlesH, Mar 18, 2013.

1. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The Golden Gate Bridge is getting rid of the toll takers completely and requiring payment either via Fastrak transponders or online accounts based on the license plate. This is really going to hit tourists in rental cars, since car rental companies typically have obscene "convenience fees" (like $100) to collect such toll fees. But that is for another thread; what this thread is about is that, according to our usually very sharp newspaper traffic reporter, the carpool toll rate on the Golden Gate Bridge will apply to cars with the white EV HOV decals, but specifically will NOT apply to the plugin-hybrid green HOV decals that the PiP gets.

Maybe it's just a rant, but why the #%(*#%!@ can't they just declare all HOV decals to be the equivalent of having number of passengers which qualifies for a carpool, and be done with that :mad: :mad: !!! As it is, you are responsible for knowing the details of the legislative act under which a given toll facility is funded to know exactly what are the "rules" for a particular situation. Same thing for the new toll roads in the L.A. area. Absurd!! But typical bureaucratic procedure!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow, you can't cross the ggb with cash anymore? what do they do, turn you around?

3. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Around here at bridges, roads and tunnels that no longer accept cash and you don't have an ez-pass, Fastrack, or other transponder- they take a photo of your lic plate you get a toll bill in the mail.

lensovet likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no fine?

5. CharlesH

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That is essentially what will happen for the Golden Gate Bridge. The preferred payment setup is a Fastrak transponder, but you can also set up a pre-paid account keyed to your license plate. If you don't set that up ahead of time, you will get a bill which if you pay quickly enough, won't have a penalty. This includes out-of-state drivers, due to friendly (!) cooperation between state motor vehicle departments. And as I mentioned, tourists driving rental cars can expect a large "convenience surcharge" from their car rental company for processing these tolls. And they haven't specifically mentioned this, but in California, there is a large class of people whose personal license plate information is restricted even from toll authorities; this class includes police officers, judges, prosecutors, and the like (pretty much anyone even remotely associated with law enforcement or the justice system). And these folks know know that they can just blow off tolls for their personal vehicles, since the toll authorities can't get the address to send the bill to.

6. give dinosaurs a break

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I find the convenience fees to be about $2.95 per day at the rental car companies I use with EZ pass on the east coast.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    when we flew into cali last year, thrifty tried to sell this. forget how much it cost, but i turned it down. i turn everything down.:mad: might have to rethink it in the future.

8. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It is offensive and we should write our Assembly members. The State made a deal with us, and our expectation of what "carpool" means was reasonable, and now they're changing the rules of the game.

9. CharlesH

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    They were talking about much bigger numbers around here. As I understand it, it is for the case when the car rental company gets a charge attached to the license plate rather than to a transponder. When I was in Austin, Texas last year, the car rental company warned about the toll roads and the charges that would be assessed if you used them. But I don't recall the $ amounts. I just made sure I avoided those roads.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    when you're in unfamiliar territory, it's not always easy to do that. fortunately, the only tolls we hit on the cali coast were bridges. i just hate the scare tactics and obfuscation from the rental companies. they sign you up at one price, then try to double it when you get there. sorry to derail your thread charles.

11. CharlesH

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Sometimes I think that they deliberately make the carpool rules as convoluted as they can, in order to increase the revenue from "carpool violation" fines.

Andyprius1 likes this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    got their inspiration from the irs.:cool:

13. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As was mentioned after my post- if you go online and pay within 7 days of getting the notice in the mail- it's just the cash price of the toll no fine.
    If you fail to pay within 7 days- they add and 'administrative' fee on top of the toll.
    When it happened to me last fall on the GW Bridge (my wife forgot to put the EZ-Pass transponder on the dash and we blew through the toll without paying) the letter asked for the toll which was $12 IIRC and if I didn't go online and pay that within 7 days there was a $52 admin fee plus the toll. I paid the day the letter arrived!

tekstyle likes this.
  14. CharlesH

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Pity the poor tourist who blows across the bridge without paying the toll, and sees what greets him when he gets home two weeks later after his nice vacation!:eek:

15. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yea! That would probably be me. Thanks! :)

16. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Good news: All the HOV lanes in Mississippi are free to hybrids.
    Bad news: There are no HOV lanes in Mississippi.

At least the rules are simple.

rogerv and CharlesH like this.
  17. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Maybe HOV lanes should be returned to vehicles with high occupancy.

18. CharlesH

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    HERESY!

rogerv likes this.
  19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you can't pay cash on the gw bridge anymore? good thing i take the tappen zee!:p

20. devprius

devprius /dev/geek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base