1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another Solar Panel/Ventilation Question

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by bpollard, Jul 5, 2009.

1. bpollard

bpollard Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    So I test drove the Prius this weekend with a guy who clearly was not very familiar with the Prius. He made statements like "The solar panel has enough power to run your house" and "you can hook up your ipod to the stereo"

any ways, so I don't trust much of what he has to say.
    Two questions:
    1) How to activate the solar panel/ventillation system - is it really just a button down near my left knee (to the lower left of the steering wheel)? After pushing the button, no lights came on, nothing to indicate that it was engaged....

2) The prius we drove did not have the navigation DVD in it. Does this version of Navigation offer the "3D" view versus the "2D" (looking straight down on the car/streets as if you were a bird)? How much are DVD updates?

Thanks a bunch for your help.
    Brad

2. mjrauma

mjrauma Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The answers are yes and yes. The button is the only thing for the solar vent portion and the nav goes to 3D when close to turns. I do'nt know how much updates are.

Mike

3. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Nav is not 3D.

4. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The NAV dvd should be included - if it was missing, it was either missed @ Port or the dealer swiped it for another car.

Solar - the button should be depressed to be active. I'm a bit disappointed there's no other indication, however most other indications would require power. Perhaps a mechanical window that would be green or red to show active vs. disabled should be included.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The button is the toggle but it's not to turn it on or off but rather to let the system know that it's allowed to activate or not. The reason I say that is because the fans don't come on when you press the button. The system (if the button is depressed) will come on 10 mins after you lock the car. So if you leave the button depressed, then it's basically automatic.

Unfortunately, the nav is not 3D (only those with the HDD option are and HDD isn't available in NA) and the disc upgrade will cost you (~$200). You usually don't need to update every year (I'm still running on jan 2007 maps on my TomTom)