1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another Stealership experience - the brake fluid episode

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by mbooth62, Sep 25, 2012.

1. mbooth62

mbooth62 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Took my '05 into the stealer at 95K to have coolant drained/filled (I'd do it myself , but sounds like the job really needs Toyota computer and patience to burp it etc. - so not worth it for me to invest my time in DIY). I asked them to check the rest of the car since my certified used warranty is about to expire - and asked about brake fluid flush. The service advisor said they never do flush on Prius - and no one ever asks about that - I told him well at least can you test it - and he said "I don't think we do that" ! I told him my local indie can do that in 10 seconds with a test strip and he said he had never heard of that - I insisted and he called the service manager over who said " Oh yeah - I think the guys in the back there have the test strips" . They tested for me and said fluid is OK (I guess they really don't want to do that job - which seems strange for a stealer). Is there a Prius Master Tech here that can answer why Porsche and BMW tell you to change fluid every two years - but even at 7 years/95K, Toyota does not recommend fluid change ? Is it simply because this is not a high performance brake system - so temperatures are unlikely to reach point to cause fluid to boil - even if low % moisture content ? But then why not do routine test for moisture just in case - even at 60K intervals like the indie does ?Or is there a better tech explanation for that ? IS corrosion of abs system and brake components not an issue - and why would BMW (and others) claim it is ?

The stealer then tells my my oil is dirty and low (which I looked at over the weekend and know not to be true - at 5K miles on Synthetic the oil still looks like new - and full) and cabin filter needs changing (I did that 10K miles ago and chances that this is true as well are almost zero - especially given the comment on the oil). They missed dinging me for rear wiper blade ! It continues to amaze me how dealers think they can get away with the cabin filter game, and other stunts they pull on unknowing customers - yet not even know the basics about brake fluid in the service advisor dep't ! If it wasn't for the oil issue - I would have said the experience was good at the dealer overall - but then they have to go ruin it ... for regular repairs that don't need special Toyota equipment I will stick to doing it myself or go with an honest indie ...

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Another story that explains why so many of us DIY !

PriusGuy32 and usnavystgc like this.
  3. yankkesrule

yankkesrule Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We do them where I work. But almost never did until somewhat recently. I would recommend them here and there. Not all the time for a few reasons. I try to find a balance between making money/taking care of customers cars and trying to not make the customer feel like we're trying to rip them off. So most times with regular maintenance, tires, brakes etc. Things like brake fluid flushes tend to get pushed by the wayside. That being said I would still recommend them here and there but not that often. Add to that roads are heavily salted where I live. And there is always the possibility that a brake bleader will be stuck/break. So you go through the trouble of selling/explaining this service to the customer. They tentatively agree to it. Then worst case scenario you end up telling them they need a new brake caliper to be able to drive home. Personally i think every 2 years is a bit much. I don't do my own car that often.

Often times when I have an older car and I sell a bunch of work on it and/or front and rear brakes at the same time I'd often time do the fluid at the same time.

4. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Because the Prius uses the regen braking so effectively, the friction brakes get used much less than a standard car. Very little heating. The fluid does indeed stay good for long periods.

100K maint - 1

5. khp

khp Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Most dealerships(not just Toyota) play the "Looks like you need a brake flush game". I enjoy playing with the service managers on this one anytime I need any warranty or recall work done. The last time was a warranty replacement of a drivers side seat belt assembly at a Subaru dealership.

Service writer: We did a free inspection of your car and looks like you need a brake fluid flush.

Me: Really? How did the technician doing the "free Inspection" come to that conclusion?

Service Writer: Oh it looks dirty.

Me: Hmmm. That's pretty amazing because the brake fluid was replaced when I did a brake job about 4 months ago.
    Service Writer: .......Dumb look on face

Brake fluid flushes are a good little money maker for them.
    If you are concerned about your brake fluid just buy some Brakestrip copper strips from Phoenix Systems.

The copper content in the brake fluid becomes a problem in time as it mixes with other source metals from brake components and moisture. The copper comes from the inside of the brake lines and after a while becomes corrosive with the brake components. That's what understand from the whole brake fluid issue.

A rule of thumb for me anyway is flush the brake fluid when I do a brake job.