1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another "Straight" man caught being 'gay'

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by MarinJohn, Oct 14, 2007.

1. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ 2007 10 22 19:06) [snapback]529094[/snapback]</div>
    Imagine there's no heaven? Why is that so stupid? The other 'book of John' made far more sense to my young inquisitive mind than eternal perfection. Maybe I asked too many questions, but the whole idea sounded contrived to me, and still does. Everyone dies. To my way of thinking, that makes life all the more beautiful and precious.

2. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Oct 22 2007, 07:33 PM) [snapback]529107[/snapback]</div>
    The song is stupid. Its pollyanna. It substitutes a wish for action, and as we've seen in officially atheistic societies, it is wrong to boot. People have the same amount of problems, the same (or more) subjugation, and lower life expectancy rates in officially atheistic societies. Even if one is a superpower. Subjugating people and declaring they cannot practice religion had no beneficial effect on their society.

Lennon did much greater work, and I shudder that this insipid song is considered his masterpiece. If only he had lived longer.

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Oct 22 2007, 07:06 PM) [snapback]529094[/snapback]</div>
    Power is always a bad thing. But where not every country is evil, every country ruled by clerics is.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Oct 22 2007, 07:06 PM) [snapback]529094[/snapback]</div>
    Thank you.

4. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ 2007 10 23 22:58) [snapback]529578[/snapback]</div>
    It sounds to me like atheism is being confused with communism, where worship of a God is substituted with worship of a dictator.

As for which is more "pollyanna", the delusional fantasy of heaven seems to fit the definition far more closely than accepting the fact that everyone dies.

5. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Oct 24 2007, 09:57 PM) [snapback]530088[/snapback]</div>
    In the time of Stalin, a school teacher would tell her class that they were going to perform a scientific experiment: Step one: All the kids would pray to god for candy. Allow time to pass. No candy arrived. Step two (some time later): All the kids would pray to Stalin for candy. Immediately, a Russian lady (fat, in the version of the story I heard) would come into the classroom and distribute candy to all the kids. "Proof" that Stalin was more powerful than god. Of course, anybody (especially a Russian dictator) is more powerful than someone who does not exist.

But I agree that the Lennon song is Pollyanna-ish. The idea that you can make something happen by wishing is as bogus as the idea that you can accomplish something through prayer. "You can pray in one hand and s*it in the other, and see what you get more of," as my step-father used to say. Wishing works as well as praying in the previous sentence.

6. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Oct 25 2007, 07:05 AM) [snapback]530214[/snapback]</div>
    The true irony of Lennon's song is that he died at the hand of disturbed violent person. It was a horrible end to a life that touched all of us in the right age group.

Lennon's song is a favorite among those that have substituted the "opiate of the masses" with the new brand of atheist fanaticism.

7. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  8. swfoster2

swfoster2 New Member

Compare "Imagine" with this old evangelical hymn:

"There is a fountain filled with blood flowed from Emmanuel's veins. And all of those washed 'neath that flood, lose all their guilty stains."

I grew up hearing that song over and over again- I never thought it was talking about real blood. Now when I think back I can't undertsand why my parents never tried to explain it to me. After all, I could have been scarred for life!