1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another tire thread: Yokohama or Michelin

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by AJP, Dec 30, 2011.

1. AJP

AJP Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hey gang. New Prius owner here. I'm a new car owner also, and have very little experience with tires. I have tried to sift through the hundreds of tire threads here (including this one) at PriusChat and am more than a little overwhelmed.

When I bought my car today the dealership said they were going to replace the tires (getting low on tread) with a set of "original Yokohomas." Funny because earlier when I spoke with the the service department and asked what they prefer, they said everyone there "were all Michelin guys." I don't know if the dealership is trying to get away with the lowest quality/least expensive tire or if I should be requesting an upgrade--the problem is that I don't know what IS an upgrade. :confused:

So if it comes down to my dealership offering Yokohoma or Michelin, what would you recommend? I am not terribly worried about losing a few MPGs; I would rather have a smooth ride.

2. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Michelin Energyâ„¢ Saver A/S if they offer.

3. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Michelin Energy Savers are good ,but you may have trouble finding them in the size you require. Look at Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max. These are a very good LRR tire and give excellent comfort and fuel economy. Hal

4. AJP

AJP Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  5. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The original tire was a Goodyear Integrity not a YOkohama.

The best value and performing tire is currently the Continental ContiPRoContact with EcoPlus. It offers better performance than the Fuel Max, is similarly priced and has a longer tread wear warranty. For the best mpg check out the Energy Saver A/S (if they ever become available again) or the Ecopia EP100 or EP422.

6. priusgto

priusgto Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have 44K on a set of Michelin X's and they still look new and drive great. I will never buy anything but Michelin.

7. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Michelins are very expensive and very high quality, they will last you 80 to 100K miles, however keep in mind that they are still made out of rubber and are subjected to tire rot from UV rays like every other tire on the market.

If you live in a sunny southern climate and park outside both at work and home, I would caution you from buying Michelins because the tread will last 80k miles but the sidewall will break down after just a few summers.

If you park indoors at work or at home (or hopefully both!!) then your tires will not be subjected to as much UV radiation and the extra cost for Michelins are worth it for you. Keep in mind you are paying for a name brand, Michelin will be 20% more than goodyear or yokahamas and they will only be about 5% better, its not worth the money for me, but I don't have any kids riding in my backseat, if you do than it may be worth it for you. Even if its for nothing more than peace of mind.

8. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have a hard time believing that the dealer will pay for a set of Yokohamas or Michelins for an used car.

Dealers around here usually install a set of Nexens (often the CP641) or the better dealers will install the original Integritys.

9. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Sorry this is BS. I have Michilin x on my Hi ace which mostly just gets used as a farm vehicle. It sits outside all the time in hot Australian bush conditions. The tyre are 10 years old and kept at 45 psi they show no sign of sidewall cracking or deterioration. Yes UV will cause some degradation but beleive me it's relatively slow. :)

10. tv4fish

tv4fish Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I agree -- total BS -- Do you have any facts or tests to back up this statement ??
    Do you REALLY think that the "other" tire makers have a secret compound in THEIR tires so their sidewalls don't break down. WOW !!