1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

another totalled car

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by galaxee, May 12, 2007.

1. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ May 13 2007, 04:51 PM) [snapback]441224[/snapback]</div>
    Now that's a good piece of information. Maybe the police don't have time for further investigation but do you? Maybe a talk to the bartender on duty that night would come up with the names of a few regulars or a name off a credit card receipt. Checking out their cars before they're repaired might find paint transfer. Or a call to a few body shops about front end damage that came in the next day or two with paint transfer from your Camry. Can you tell their car color from your Camry?

Seems to me someone needs a big cup of Karmageddon and I'd sure like to read your future post with all the details.

2. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ May 13 2007, 02:51 PM) [snapback]441224[/snapback]</div>
    Galaxee

With the clips you found and paint evidence you maybe able to find the make and model of the car. Gather the evidence and insist that the police do their job. Take some pics also and post them, prnt them out and take them to body shops around the area and tell them that a [color] vehicle with these clips hit your car. They maybe be able to help you.

Wildkow

p.s. Good luck. . .

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Indeed. If you remember the colour/model of the car, perhaps the bartender or someone at the bar might have seen that model and know who owns/drives it.

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Still waiting for that P.O. Box and/or PayPal account.

5. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Well, we don't really have to wait.

We can send Galaxee money via Paypal even if she doesn't have an account. They'll send her an e-mail saying it's there and how to pick it up.

She can consider it compensation for all of the free DH advice she's passed on. Sorta a retainer or something. A consultant fee. Completely voluntary. "If you've received some knowledge or advice you find valuable, give what you think it's worth to you" sort of thing.

It's worth $5 to me just to see the pictures of that dissected bladder she posted that DH dismembered.

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ May 13 2007, 04:35 PM) [snapback]441277[/snapback]</div>
    I don't think she or anyone she knows saw the car. It happened in the middle of the night.

Sounds like Galaxee does not want to accept financial help, but I think it sure wouldn't hurt to let us help out.

Say, Galaxee, how about this: Get a P.O. box or a PayPal account, let us send a bit to help you out, and if you feel it's too much, you can give the excess to a good cause of your choice.

Probably would be a good idea to get a separate Yahoo or Hotmail account to use just for that, so that you would not be getting spam email as the result of having an email address publically viewable. Then when it's all over, you could drop the email if it is getting unwanted messages.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ May 13 2007, 06:48 PM) [snapback]441358[/snapback]</div>
    That only works if you know her email address. I don't, and if you do, it would be irresponsible to post it where others can see it. The best thing is for her to get an email address that she will use for this purpose only, and then she can discard it later if she wants to.

7. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ May 13 2007, 08:49 PM) [snapback]441359[/snapback]</div>
    You can set Hotmail's spam filter so high it will only allow addresses in your address book. If Paypal is the only address in your book...voilá.

No one saw they car but they heard it. And until the Bartender is asked, we don't know that "no one knows the car".

8. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ May 13 2007, 06:52 PM) [snapback]441360[/snapback]</div>
    Again, that's only suitable if she gets a hotmail account especially for this purpose. If someone gave out her private email it would be a terrible breach of her privacy.

So again, Galaxee really has to be willing, before those of us who do not know her personally can help out.

9. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    wow, guys... we don't quite know what to say! i think we need to discuss this before we actually accept anything. really, you all are too kind. we never cease to be amazed at the support we get from this group.

as far as finding the car, we're not too hopeful at this point. there weren't many promising looking vehicles in the parking lot tonight. it may not show up again till next weekend. and by then who knows, they might actually have fixed it up a little or something. we are going to keep an eye out though.

10. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ouch, sorry to hear about this mishap. Need any help trolling the bar parking lots?

Wayne

11. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 What's the catch?

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I'll help out too, Wayne. Before we get started, I've got an EBH for you. :lol:

Gal, sorry about the cart. It really does suck. At least you've gotten you medical bills behind you.

12. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    okay, we've discussed for a bit and decided that it would be ok to let our internet friends help us out. while we would be able to do it ourselves over a longer time period, a little help would certainly make things easier. we are much better at giving than receiving so this is a bit of a new situation for us. if you do send something, which i will emphasize that we do not *expect*, please include your PC name so that we can send you a personal thank you message.

the email address to use is [edit- removed], which is also the general contact email i use for PC and other internet browsing purposes.

AND... on the way home tonight, DH saw a battered looking 2-door civic of the appropriate color with matching front end damage. he suspected that was it, but couldn't go chasing after it in traffic. but now we know what to look for and if we see it again, we'll pick up a license plate number and go from there. who knows what will happen! maybe there is hope for at least getting this guy a good punishment.

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    oooh... the mystery unfolds! Good to hear that your case has progressed and you've (possibly) found the car.

14. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    the bad news is that the police report indicates that the other car *backed* into ours... which really does not look like the case. there was another car parked directly across the street from ours, making it almost impossible to make a 3-point turn there. and the damage doesn't match unless the back end was sloped like the nose of a car. i don't know if this bodes well for us proving anything now.

and i just got 9 advertisements from lawyers and chiropractors in the mail today... great. <_<

15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ... that's ridiculous. Oh yes, our back wheels can turn and swing into the other car <_<

16. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ May 14 2007, 08:00 PM) [snapback]442119[/snapback]</div>
    Please confirm that "aim" is the domain. I thought aim was the instant messenger program of aol???

17. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    it is indeed "aim". instant messenger gives you a free email address with your screen name, much like aol. i use it because it's easy to use with thunderbird.

18. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    thank you, everyone who has sent something to help. we really appreciate how kind this community has been to us in our recent rough times.

we have gotten our hands on another blue 89 camry with a blown v6 engine. newer tires though, woohoo! :p :rolleyes: it's a few hour drive away, so we have to wait until DH has a couple days off work. we're going to borrow a friend's truck and rent a u-haul tow dolly to bring it home. then the real work begins. the 'old' camry will become a parts car, basically.

19. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ May 17 2007, 10:00 PM) [snapback]444603[/snapback]</div>
    I've seen a show where there are shops that'll actually retrofit an old conventional car with an electric system. Cost is anywhere from $10,000 - $12,000. Typical range is only 50 miles, however. Just something for your consideration.

20. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    that would be awesome, but whew... that's a little pricey for us right now :lol: we're trying very hard to stay in the under $1000 range.