1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

another totalled car

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by galaxee, May 12, 2007.

1. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    DH is leaving on friday to go pick up the "new" car. the next week will be pretty busy with him putting all the parts from 2 cars together, but hopefully things will go smoothly and we'll have it running soon thereafter.

2. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    update:

after putting us off for i lost track of how many weeks, they decided not to sell us the car with the blown engine. :angry:

so now we're searching again, i've been surfing craigslist and ebay and not finding anything worth the asking price that hasn't literally just sold this morning. i think we're going to have to up our expected price range, unfortunately.

if we go this route we'll be parting out the old camry to help pay for the next car, and not using the perfectly good engine he put so much time and money into. depressing.

3. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    further update:

ooh! a cheap 91 lexus es250 (has the same engine and trans as our 89 camry v6) with a blown engine in gastonia has shown up for me... keep your fingers crossed that they call us back. :eek:

4. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 What's the catch?

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Well ... did they call? For some reason this has peaked my interest. :D

5. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    they responded to our message on ebay, but have not called yet. i mean, we could bid and just wait around for the auction to end but that's annoying. i hate ebay...

6. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    upgrading to a lexus... sounds pretty exciting :) All leather interior, nav, heated seats, the works? hehe....

7. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 What's the catch?

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I'm a fan of ebay at times. "Times of necessity" are not those times.

8. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ May 12 2007, 08:22 AM) [snapback]440504[/snapback]</div>
    A body shop could fix it, couldnt they? It probibly isnt worth the repair cost. however if its totalled some one will fix it and it may end up on a used car lot some where...... Heck of a way to have the excuse to get a new or new to you car.. ;)

9. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    price of fixing it well exceeds the borderline of being worth it. we're using the parts of this one to build another one, basically.

trust me, we didn't want to have to buy another car. it's not in the budget, it's not in the schedule, and i sure as hell am tired of having one car between the two of us. let's say neither of us is thrilled about the situation. did i mention how much we both loved that car?

we gotta wait for the auction to end before he tries to negotiate a deal :angry: i doubt it will sell, but it's such a pain... if it weren't such a nice car we'd forget about it.

10. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    well, the ES250 is ours. can't really complain about that... we saw camrys with dead engines/trans for higher prices! it was a good deal. plus it has airbags and abs, and the camrys didn't. one less thing i'll have to worry about as DH drives it around town.

now we gotta pick it up and bring it home, and we'll be well on our way! yay!
    [​IMG]

thanks again to everyone who sent us something to help out- well over half of the cost of the car was covered thanks to you all! we really appreciate all your kindness :wub:

11. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Wow. Upgraded to a Lexus. Show us pics when the engine transplant is out of recovery and on the road?

12. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Can't wait to see the pics!

13. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    the ES is coming home on wednesday, and we hope to have it running by the end of the week. will definitely post pictures :)

14. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    well, we didn't get jerked around by this guy like the last one... DH and his buddy are halfway home with the car. he says he is quite pleased, and the engine isn't as bad as he was expecting it to be either. not a bad deal at all. pics coming soon.

15. eclectcmoi

eclectcmoi Muffinologist

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    How in the world did I miss all this going on?

I'm so sorry to hear of your misfortune galaxee. What a wonderful group of people here at PC to pitch in and help a friend.

Did you or DH ever see the car again that you suspected might have done the hit and run?

16. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    thanks electcmoi. no, we never saw the car again, unfortunately. i would have at least liked to see him deal with the legal consequences (ticket, points on license, etc) even if we couldn't have sued him... :angry:

now, the story is continued here: http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=35288&hl=