1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another transmission problem ... please help

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by PriusMatt, Jul 12, 2017.

1. PriusMatt

PriusMatt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hi folks,

Sorry for the long post. Quite frankly, it hasn't been a great day. It's 2:30 in the morning and I'm trying to research this problem which I'm sure has been addressed a million times here, but my quick searching isn't giving me the specific results I'm looking for. If you'd be so kind, please advise me on my transmission problem.

The car: 2007 Prius Touring with only 71,000 miles, purchased new by myself. I've pretty much had zero problems except the HID bulbs and some pump that I had replaced last November - can't remember which one.

Currently, Keyes Toyota in Van Nuys, CA has my car and they say that they are pretty sure that all, or part of my transmission is bad, and that it could cost $6000. (car's only gotta be worth $10-12k, right?) So here's what happened:

I recently took my car to a Jiffy Lube just to get an oil change, but they convinced me I needed to change the transmission fluid. Stupid me!!! 3 days and 111 miles later, I lost power on the highway (on a HOT day, going 75mph, on a slight uphill grade with A/C blowing) and the gas engine cut off, sputtered, surged and sputtered. Got off to a side street. When trying to slowly accelerate, the car violently shook with the engine never actually starting - just shuttered rather quickly. Had the car towed to Toyota dealership in Pasadena. I normally don't like to go to dealerships, but I was in slight panic mode, and at the time, was thinking that this was hybrid related, and I wanted someone who for sure knew hybrids. After replacing the 12v battery (which I had just personally replaced about 2.5 years ago) and cleaning the throttle bottle, the dealership THOUGHT they had fixed it. 11 miles later, I was stranded again on the side of the highway. This time, the engine also began making an obnoxious rattly type sound. Towed to another dealer (closer to my home) and they said that they strongly believe that there is a transmission problem and that that could cost $6000!!! Ummm, I don't have that right now. They were getting NO codes. I also didn't experience any engine lights with the exception of the last break down, when the traction control light flashed during the sputtering. No red triangle, nothing. The dealer said that they thought they smelled a burning smell in the transmission fluid (new only 111 miles ago) and that's why they think the transmission is messed up. Anyway, I suspect Jiffy Lube did something wrong, and I'll try to get them to pay (doubt it).

In the meantime, I'm trying to educate myself on what actually could have gone wrong - incorrect fluid type? should have or should NOT have been flushed, etc.

Am I correct in thinking that this is WAY too early for transmission problems?

Any thoughts on what to ask Jiffy Lube to see if they did it correctly?

Anyway, I'm exhausted and not thinking clearly, but if you have any thoughts or suggestions on how to proceed, I'd genuinely appreciate it.

Also, if you have an indy shop that could install a used or refurb transmission in the Van Nuys, CA area that you like, please let me know that as well.

Thanks and happy motoring!

Matthew

2. IMkenNY

IMkenNY Im just being nosy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Check the oil level, is it overfilled?
    This sounds like the classic overfilled oil contaminating the MAF sensor to me and not a transmission issue at all.

edthefox5, m.wynn and PriusMatt like this.
  3. PriusMatt

PriusMatt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    very interesting. I haven't heard of this. I will return to the dealer in a few short hours and ask them to check this. I'm not sure what an MAF sensor is, but I'll google it now. THANKS and have a great day!

4. PriusMatt

PriusMatt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    after a quick search, a few threads note that their dashboards lit up. In my case, NO idiot lights or messages appeared during my problems (with the exception being the flashing traction control light during the last sputtering of the engine.)

5. IMkenNY

IMkenNY Im just being nosy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I'm not sure why your not getting any error lights but you would have a Christmas tree full of lights with a bad transaxle.
    If you have a contaminated maf sensor that wont allow the engine to start I believe it will register a code but not show a dash warning because the engine never started.
    It doesn't take much of an overfill for a 2nd generation Prius to contaminate the MAF sensor and its a very easy item to check.

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. Look at the Jiffy Lube receipt to see what ATF was used. If anything other than 4 quarts of Toyota ATF WS, the wrong fluid / quantity was used.
    2. If in fact the transaxle has failed through no fault of Jiffy Lube, you potentially could have a used unit installed for around $2,500 or so. This is not great but better than spending $6K on a new unit.
    3. In the future, avoid places like Jiffy Lube. If you need / want to save money it is much better to DIY than to trust your car to places like that...

m.wynn likes this.
  7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My jiffy computer shows the g2 Prius takes 5 quarts of motor oil. I always say that's nice here's 3.5 quarts put that in. So Jiffy overfilled your engine and now it's fouled. The throttle body may be clogged.

How come when you first went to the dealer and suspected Jiffy you didn't have the dealer replace the trans fluid?
    No codes trans is ok. It would light up your dashboard,

Take it back to the dealer have them change the engine oil and the trans fluid.

I use Jiffy, there ok if you know exactly what your doing and bring them
    The exact amount of oil in a jug and don't have them touch anything other than change the filter and put this jug of oil in the engine.

m.wynn likes this.
  8. PriusMatt

PriusMatt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    When I went to that first dealer, I honestly had no idea what the problem was - could have been a computer failing or many other things. I DID mention to them that I had recently had the oil and transmission fluid changed to give them potential areas to look at. But honestly, based on the car seemingly just losing power and jerking, I wouldn't have guessed that that was transmission related.

9. PriusMatt

PriusMatt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    *** UPDATE ***

THANKS for all the responses by the way!!! I really appreciate it.

Went to the dealership in the morning to talk out some of these potential problems and feel out the situation. And also to ask what types of things could Jiffy Lube had done wrong and how could I prove it. One option was (as folks pointed out) that the wrong fluid was put in. I asked how could we PROVE that they put in the wrong stuff. They said they could give me a sample and I'd have to find a lab to test it. I said, "ok, I can stop by next morning if you could pull me a sample."

A few hours later, dealership calls and says, "I have good news (really bad news, but proof that they screwed up) ... we went to drain some transmission fluid for the sample, AND THERE WAS ONLY 3 TO 4 OUNCES IN THERE!"

Armed with this knowledge, I spoke to a manager at Jiffy Lube, they seemed to indicate that yes, they probably had made a mistake, and we filled out an "incident report". From there, we go to his boss and we'll see what happens. I'm really hoping that Jiffy Lube does the right thing and corrects their mistake. We'll see ...

bisco and m.wynn like this.
  10. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I do not understand how the mechanic would decide the transaxle ATF had a burning smell unless he opened the fill plug. If he opened the fill plug, he should have inserted his finger into the fill hole to see if the fluid level was at the bottom of the hole, or no more than 5 mm from the bottom. Hence that mechanic should have been able to report that the transaxle ATF fluid level was incorrect.
    Is this the same dealership as the dealership cited in the first post above?

I hope that you don't need any more evidence that Jiffy Lube is a bad place to take your car for service, unless you are going to be like edthefox5 and watch them like a hawk. Further, your experience with the local Toyota dealers doesn't provide comfort that the dealer techs can quickly find an obvious problem. I'd rather DIY, much less drama.

#10 Patrick Wong, Jul 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
    m.wynn and edthefox5 like this.
  11. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Exactly Pat.

That's why I replied wait a minute the dealer is saying burnt smell in fluid why the hell didnt you get it changed then and there. Duh.

And why didn't dealer see there's really no fluid. Your really screwed if you blow up your Prius and at the dealers mercy.

m.wynn likes this.
  12. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My guess is jiffy lube didn't have the right size socket to open the fill plug. And couldn't find a dipstick hole either. So you get your car back without any fluid.

m.wynn and edthefox5 like this.
  13. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Forget Jiffy we see non stop incompetent dealer after another on this site.

The Jiffy I go to does have a plug and bolt tightening system though after the oil filter guy is done another guy goes back under there to check it.
    But there's not 2 guys checking to see if they actually filled the trans under there. I watch them with the engine up top so I know they filled my engine with my Measured amount Mobil 1 jug I bought.

Then I drive right home and let it sit for a while and check it, this oil change trans fluid change is serious stuff if done wrong can blow up your car.

My Jiffy filled in there oil change trench. You used to be able to walk down under the car. They covered it with wood so now you have to crawl under the car on your knees to change the oil. Must really suck.

PriusMatt likes this.
  14. PriusMatt

PriusMatt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    oh yikes. I thought I was sharing relatively good news (given the circumstances) but the responses look like I could still be in trouble.

Sounds like techs at both Toyota dealers should have discovered transmission problems earlier. Not sure why they didn't. As to why I didn't have dealer change transmission fluid right away, I'm still negotiating what Jiffy Lube will pay for and I don't want to start stuff that they aren't going to pay for. Keep in mind, I didn't know at the first dealership visit that this was indeed a transmission problem. It could have been multiple things, such as a hybrid component not functioning properly.

As far as the burnt smell. To be honest, there's so many conversations back and forth, and they're done while I'm at work in the middle of 1000 things. I can't be certain that they said they smelled in the fluid vs. near the transmission vs. anything else. I'm pretty sure they said they smelled it in the fluid. I guess I'm ignorant in how the transmission fluid is serviced. I assume it's similar to regular oil in that there's a fill cap on the top and a drain on the bottom, but that might be incorrect. But it seems correct that based on what I told them, they SHOULD have checked the level at that moment. As far as changing the fluid, I think they were assuming that the transmission was screwed, based on the loud noise it was making, and that both failures occurred during highway speeds.

The other thing is, is that I give lots of details. The service writers then write what they THINK is relevant. I suppose it's possible that they didn't write down that I said that oil and transmission fluids were recently serviced.

So again, I thought things were moving in the right direction. The service writer actually seems pretty knowledgable. But maybe I'm just being a sucker.

I'm really frustrated with myself with my lack of knowledge, but that's why I came here. I appreciate all of your input!

edthefox5 likes this.
  15. PriusMatt

PriusMatt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Update #2 (for those interested or in a similar boat):

So post #14 above was written in the wee hours of the morning (sometime after midnight) technically on July the 14th. So then on the 14th around 9am, I gave the boss above the boss at the local Jiffy Lube another shot on trying to get them to give me a NEW transmission, and it was clear that they weren't intending on doing that. My car had 70,000 miles and they were proposing a few options to get my car back to a 'similar' condition.

In the interim, my local Toyota dealer had sourced a used transmission with 60,000 miles which is supposedly "bench tested" at the supplier's place that would come with a 3 month warranty. So after feeling that I couldn't get a new transmission from Jiffy Lube, I proposed that Jiffy Lube pay for the used transmission, my previous unsuccessful repair at another Toyota dealer, my cheap rental car of 2 days, and my original service that messed this whole thing up from Jiffy Lube, and they agreed to it.

I called my Toyota dealership before noon, and I had my car back THE NEXT DAY, a Saturday, by around 3pm. So, I've had my car back for about 2 weeks and the transmission so far appears to working just fine. I'll try to drive it hard before the warranty runs out to be sure it's up to the task.

Crossing my fingers and hoping for the best!

Happy motoring!

edthefox5, johnnyb588 and m.wynn like this.
  16. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In a few months take it back to that dealer and have the trans fluid changed again. It's a used trans and the inner Cv joints and seals were hopefully replaced and sometimes dirt and debris gets in the diff area it's pretty ha d work under there to get the cv joints in and out.
    It's not like it's the pristine brand new trans that was installed at the factory. It's pretty dirty work.
    The dump bolt is magnetic so will capture all the metallic debris.

$100 piece of mind. Fresh fluid your good for 200,000 miles +.

17. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    ----USA----

I know this is a old thread but somebody might read it..... change trani fluid.......every 50,000 miles at the minimum.....

douglasjre likes this.
  18. johnHRP

johnHRP Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Dude, Never in a Million years trust any Quick-Lube, Walmart, Sears, or Franchise Shop doing Transmission fluid change. Always do it in dealership or DIY. Very simple, jack the car up put 2 jack stands, remove refill bolt, remove drain bolt, pump exact same amount of fluid or until it drip-out from the filler hole just like differential-fluid in trucks. It is always DRAIN and REFILL, never flush it.

Statistically, almost no 3rd Gen Prius have transmission problem if you never touch it. Even without fluid change for 200k Miles. There are some engine problems in early 2010-2012 from burning oil, head gasket, or stuck-pcv valve. But 2013 or newer is trouble free. Sorry to hear that you got problem by trusting Jiffy Lube.

I do not even trust Jiffy-Lube for oil change. Do not safe few penny and loosing Thousands from that kind of shop. Always go to credible Local-owned mechanics even they cost the same as Dealership. Usually, Local Mechanics are honest because they will not survive without good credibility. I always go to Import Authority in Tallahassee, FL. Other cities may also have similar kind of excellent shop. It takes few days to get appointment as a proof how good they are although they have 10 lifts.

I changed Tires in Walmart or Sam's Club because it is cheap and can be found anywhere. Sometimes they made mistake but not fatal and easily spotted if they made mistake like bad balancing. For Alignment, Franchise with good national network and 3 years or lifetime warranty is OK, it is obvious and nothing can go wrong without notice. Brake pads, 12V battery, rotors, and Alternator from Autozone, Advanced, Carquest are good value with lifetime warranty, plenty online coupon-pickup locally.

For Brake Fluid, you can check the water content with any $5 electronic Ohm-meter or special brake fluid tester. As long as you never open the cap/lid, 10 years interval is more than enough if you do not live in mountainous area. In Germany, 2 years is recommended because the Autobahn exit is so short and sharp and no speed limit.

New Toyota are pain the nuts to change the oil now. Older models (Camry, Prius, Corolla, Sienna,etc.) are so easy, screw in filter, never need jack to reach the drain plug or filter.

19. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I'm not surprised

20. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Toyota should take a cue from Honda: if you're going to use a socket-head cap screw style drain and fill bolt, make the recess in the bolt head 3/8" square, so any 3/8" ratchet wrench will work.

Amen.

Tim Jones, douglasjre and GrGramps like this.