1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another triangle of death question

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by topgear3793, Jan 24, 2019.

1. topgear3793

topgear3793 New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Triangle of death has come on 3-4 times now in my Gen1. Before it happened I could see the battery level indicator freaking out a bit, switching between fully charged and fully depleted.

It seems if I have the heater on while in traffic, the problem gets worse and the car starts stuttering a bit while taking off from a stop. But if I get up to highway speeds (which is mostly what I use the car for anyways), it runs fine and still gets 42+mpg.

Only thing I have done so far is the self check on the touch screen. 12V battery is reading 10.6 volts (low) while the car is off, and 13.6 volts (normal) when the car is on.

Any suggestions on how to identify the triangle of death culprit would be appreciated!

2. topgear3793

topgear3793 New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Anyone have suggestions? Can the 12V battery trigger the triangle of death? Or is it only the HV battery

Codes are:
    P3012
    P3020

Both appear to be related to HV battery?

3. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Should be block 2 and block 10.

How did you get the codes?

SFO likes this.
  4. topgear3793

topgear3793 New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Through my very cheap scan tool, doesnt say much on the tools themselves.

Should I be concerned that the 12V battery only shows 10.5V when the car is off?

5. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Generally speaking, yes. But if this vehicle still starts and drives... then that is the least of your worries at this time.

Given the DTC codes thrown by the "not quite hybrid compatible" OBD2 code reader (which appears to be somewhat effective), its time to start thinking about a new/used/"rebuild it yourself" HV traction battery before things go further south and you're left stranded or worse :whistle:

How many miles do you currently have on this vehicle? o_O

Raytheeagle likes this.
  6. topgear3793

topgear3793 New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for the heads up, it still starts up and drives fine, and assuming I'm on the freeway the discharge and regen on the battery looks normal on the dash. But the few times I have gotten caught in traffic, the battery drains and the car starts stuttering when trying to take off from a stop, and the triangle of death comes on. I have not been speed limited yet.

I bought the car with 197k miles for $2600 (just to use as a cheap beater and save the environment in the process) and it now has 204k miles on it. Was hoping it would make it 20-30k miles without issue, but it seems the time has come sooner...

Anyone have approx costs on new/used/rebuilt/DIY battery costs? I can find info on 2nd gen, but not much on 1st gen...

7. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Hybrid automotive makes a charger and Discharger for the gen1 ;).

You can buy modules from them too. The Gen1 battery is bigger than the Gen3 and Gen2 batteries, so there are more modules to deal with :cool:.

You could also buy a new battery from Toyota and not worry about the battery for 8 years or so, but given you have a Gen1 at over 200k miles, I’d be hard pressed to invest that much into it.

But sounds like a decent project car if you don’t mind diy:).

Good luck and keep us posted (y).

SFO likes this.
  8. 2002_Pri_Rod

2002_Pri_Rod Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I recently invested in a new traction battery from Toyota - supposedly has the newer generation 1 cells - roughly $2400 installed - probably get it done cheaper outside the north bay California area or if you install yourself - but of a gamble but cheaper than a new car

Raytheeagle likes this.