1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another troubleshooting blink code post!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jeremy Douglas, Feb 8, 2024.

1. Jeremy Douglas

Jeremy Douglas New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi PriusChat,

Before having the brakes repaired on our 2008 Prius (they were quite worn), I retrieved some blink codes and would appreciate insights on what they might indicate. Here are the codes observed:

• Brake warning light ((!)): 57, 69
    • ABS: 42
    • VSC: 45
    • TPS: 21, 23, 79
    Given these were noted before the brake work, I'm curious if the repairs might have addressed the underlying issues these codes suggest, or if there's something more to look into. Any advice on these codes?

Thanks in advance!

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    So then after you had all these worn breaks replaced which are just pads and shoes the asbestos material wore down that's the stuff that grabs the shoes and rotors and makes you stop That's just worn out material now that that worn out material has been replaced and new pads and discs and drums have been installed or not Do you still have all these codes That's the big question? If so then you need to get a capable scanner not just blinking and get real codes just because or you can decipher those codes that you just wrote down here your blinks they're all contained here in the site I don't know them by just looking at the numbers but usually when all these things pop up you're going to be looking in to getting a $1,400 break actuator or something along those lines The expensive part that nobody wants to deal with nowadays because of the age of the car. So do you still have all these codes after all of this brake work has been done? Or not?

Jeremy Douglas likes this.
  3. Jeremy Douglas

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The codes were cleared by the mechanic to see if they come back. This is actually my wife's car. My wife's cousin actually has the car today so I don't know the current status.

I'm aware of the techstream reader and the brake pump debacle but her brakes were so bad they needed to be replaced anyway. We're just hoping that takes care of it.

We're trying to cut costs because money is tight right now, hence resorting to the blinking method over purchasing a techstream or mechanic diagnostic.

I've done as much research as I could but haven't found a definite code table without being referred to a repair manual.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    As the blink code page tells you, ABS 42 and VSC 45 just tell you to pay attention to the ECB code(s).

According to a manual snippet posted in this old post, Gen 2 blink code 57 went with DTC C1256 (kinda weird), and 69 goes with C1391 (same as in Gen 3).

C1256 and C1391 are the typical codes when the brake system isn't able to build or hold boost pressure. If those were noticed before the recent work was done, they were not related to recent work on worn pads or anything like that.

Jeremy Douglas likes this.
  5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well, that is the actual place where you find definite code explanations that aren't wrong. Don't knock it. People referring you to the repair manual are doing you a kindness.

Toyota Service Information and Where To Find It | PriusChat

6. Jeremy Douglas

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I haven't personally been referred and I'm not disregarding as a kindness. I do appreciate all they guys or gals that have responded. Without Priuschat, I wouldn't have gotten this far.

But I thought to just ask instead of purchasing the manual first. Other threads I have read said to post the codes here and someone would help out.