1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Another VW claim on EV

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Nov 9, 2018.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: VW plans to sell electric Tesla rival for less than $23,000: source | Reuters

FRANKFURT (Reuters) - Volkswagen (VOWG_p.DE) intends to sell electric cars for less than 20,000 euros ($22,836) and protect German jobs by converting three factories to make Tesla (TSLA.O) rivals, a source familiar with the plans said.
    . . .
    Plans for VW’s electric car, known as “MEB entry” and with a production volume of 200,000 vehicles, are due to be discussed at a supervisory board meeting on Nov. 16, the source said.

Another vehicle, the I.D. Aero, will be built in a plant currently making the VW Passat, a mid-sized sedan, the source said.
    . . .
    VW’s strategy shift comes as cities start to ban diesel engine vehicles, forcing carmakers to think of new ways to safeguard 600,000 German industrial jobs, of which 436,000 are at car companies and their suppliers.

An electric van, the ID Buzz, is due to be built at VW’s plant in Hannover, where its T6 Van is made, the source said.

[​IMG]
    'Sorry about das clean diesels but this time we really mean it.'

Bob Wilson

#1 bwilson4web, Nov 9, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i also, am planning a tesla rival.

3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Maybe just stick to cookie crumbling... You're good at it.

4. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Couldn't wait, so I bought a Spark EV. :D

5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    There are already BEVs that cheap available. They just have sub 100 mile ranges. Great if that works for you. The Ioniq and Leaf both have a starting MSRP here of under $30k. None of these could be called Tesla rivals.
    Friend will be looking to replace the family's second car next year; an Accord well north of 200k miles. I plan on trying to get him into a used Leaf or Spark EV since most trips are 12 miles or less for the Accord. A Prime if he decides on new.

6. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd be thrilled if they follow though with this plan. I won't be holding my breath though (unless one of their diesels is nearby:rolleyes:).

7. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Isn't this "philosophy" actually one of the biggest challenges to Tesla's future?
    IMO, Tesla has made exciting products, and really been pioneers in nearly no compromise, performance electric vehicles.

But they have had to do it nearly from scratch as not only innovators but also as an automaker themselves.

Existing manufacturing giants, like VW, Toyota, can decide at any time to get into the game, to any degree, and very quickly out produce and undercut Tesla in price, as an available product.

So far, most mainstream giants have been comfortable enough letting Tesla clear the trail, my fear is when circumstance and/or demand get's realized, VW, Toyota and others could easily make Tesla a very high end choice, by mass producing similar products significantly cheaper.

8. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Good!!
    The whole goal of Tesla is to accelerate to adoption of sustainable transportation.
    They know that they can't do it alone, so they need help.
    I am amazed other companies have given them this much time.

That said, I will likely be sticking with the company whose mission is to speed the adoption of sustainable transportation, as opposed to a mission to get better at cheating on the bare minimum pollution standards.

9. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The question I'm posing is how much of a threat to Tesla is this reality?

This article is specific to rumored intent of VW...but scandal and fraud aside? VW is still an automotive manufacturing giant, and what VW can do? So can Toyota and GM and other mass producers.

There's a difference between being the unique, trail blazing, innovative pioneer product, and suddenly perhaps competing against mass produced products that may be able to offer similar performance at mass produced prices. With mass produced replacement parts, and insurance rates that apply to mass produced vehicles.

We are a long way from seeing how this plays out. I lived through cycles of automotive companies proclaiming any number of "future paths" that get taken or bypassed. Seems like just a few years ago, when the buzz was Hydrogen Fuel Cell Vehicles, and that has at least temporarily died down. How committed VW becomes? What they actually produce? If other automotive companies follow suit to any degree? All remain to be seen.

Ultimately however, I think the reality is, Tesla can't be idealistic to the point of welcoming "adoption of sustainable transportation" that directly competes with themselves, to the point that it could threaten their own existence.
    That's not help. That's the bell tolling.

But again, this is hypothetical projection....not yet an existing reality.

10. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Many thought that when competition to the iPhone arrived Apple would be doomed because the competition would undercut iPhone prices. Competition arrived and undercut prices substantially, but the competitors never really got a significant profit share slice which Apple retains the lions share to this day.

In a similar light, Tesla has a likely shot to continue to be "pioneers in nearly no compromise, performance electric vehicles" when the competitors get more serious with its offerings. I would be surprised to see Tesla sell low profit margin budget electric vehicles since they don't have to. Apple still makes no low end products.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the competition doesn't have their own battery factory

Mambo Dave likes this.
  12. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    $10,000 and it works great for me.

iplug likes this.
  13. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    None.

VW is talking about making 200,000 of these cars at some future date.
    The plugin market is about 1.5 Million this year.
    This market is growing incredibly fast, and with VW’s entry it will grow faster yet.

Tesla is making almost 200,000 cars this year, next year it will be more like 350,000. And when VW is ready to produce 200,000 EVs, Tesla will likely be making 500,000/year. And both companies will sell everyone they can make.

The Electric Me likes this.
  14. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Is the Jaguar I-Pace an example:
    • Priced to compete with Tesla Model S
    • One of the worst kWh/100 mi, 44 kWh/100, vs Model S, 34 kWh/100 mi
    • Sales in October, 5, vs Model S, 1350
    I'm open to suggestions of Tesla competition ... if any.

It turns out more than a few bear-to-bull investors have looked at the "Tesla Killers" and found them severely lacking. The 'honorable competition' are using gas car design rules, not EV rules. So their first generation EV cars have weak performance, poor features, and prices that put an internal tax on their traditional cars and pickups (Thanks Bob Lutz!)

Bob Wilson

15. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The Supercharger network is a major advantage too.

The Electric Me likes this.
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    oh that's nothing. have you seen vdubs planned buildout?:cool:

17. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    At this time?
    That's kind of my point. Tesla has had the advantage of not really having direct or real competition. They could grow and build the company, and produce the vehicles, without any real competition.

But as I said, I think the potential challenge for Tesla, is that major automobile manufacturers CAN get into the game, pretty quickly if they wish.
    I agree that there is little competition right now. But that could change very quickly.
    I respect Tesla for pioneering creation, and revealing the comprehensible reality of electric vehicles, that have both advantage, in being electric, but also little compromise in overall performance. Must of been hard for a lot of people at Motor Trend to vote the Tesla Model S as the 2013 car of the year. But they did.

I'm not really talking about now, or yesterday. I'm talking about potential future challenges. And my opinion is, IF...big IF...major automobile manufacturers such as VW, or Toyota, or GM, decide to build "Tesla" like automobiles? That could be a big challenge to Tesla.

I really respect what Tesla has created. BUT there is really no magic. There is nothing that couldn't be reversed engineered, or created on a mass produced scale, cheaper, and in greater quantities than Tesla can currently produce, by any major automobile manufacturer.

I agree it's not happening today. But if it ever does happen? It's something Tesla needs to worry about.

KrPtNk likes this.
  18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    why do you suppose no one is interested in taking them to task?

19. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Actually, they can't do it quickly. Hyundai/Kia was not prepared for the popularity of their hybrids/plug ins. They had a battery shortage that couldn't be remedied as quickly as lifting the phone. The Ioniq Electric was suppose to be nationwide available here, but hasn't left the West Coast.

Before that, Mitsubishi kept delaying the Outlander PHEV intro to North America for years, because they couldn't keep up with demand.

Even earlier, the level of Aisin transaxle supply limited the Ford Escape hybrid.

Cars are big things that contain a large number of parts and materials. When and if an established car company gets serious about challenging Tesla, there will be a lag of years between them starting and producing BEVs in Tesla numbers. It already takes years to get an ICE car design from concept to market, and the supply chains already exist for all the required parts.

Nissan/Renault is the only international company with the required investment already into BEVs. Toyota's investment is into NiMH, which isn't competitive with Li-ion for large packs. For some companies, buying Tesla would be the fastest way to put out a Tesla competitor.

20. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Fine by me. Just past and current performance of the established car companies have been disappointing.

Bob Lutz is a great spokesman for the established car makers: Bob Lutz Paints A More Positive Picture Of Tesla: Video | GM Authority

The interview wasn’t without his typical pitch about Tesla, though. As always, Lutz said he tries to tell the public that Tesla doesn’t possess any special sauce, so to speak (Except the potential extinction of Tesla whereas the others think they are immune and follow lazy, non-EV design rules. RJW). The batteries Tesla uses are lithium-ion units like any other automaker (Except Tesla batteries are 18500 and 2170 cells assembled by Tesla into several custom packs allowing Teslas to come with different sizes. Tesla chemistry in the 2170 have half the cobalt at the others. RJW) and Lutz remains skeptical as more automakers begin to roll out their own electric cars. He talked specifically of German premium brands such as Audi and Mercedes-Benz. Both companies have electric crossover SUVs coming in the next two years in the e-tron and EQC. (Apparently he is ignoring the Jaguar I-Pace and Koreans. RJW)

Reflect on the Nissan Leaf and BMW i3. Both car makers have the ability to upgrade their existing customer battery packs. Nissan and BMW refused for USA cars, a slap in the face driving their established customers to Tesla. Is it cheaper to find new customers than keep the ones you have happy and not bitter and sharing on the Internet?

Tesla's greatest sales force are their customers. The others, not so much.

Bob Wilson

#20 bwilson4web, Nov 11, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2018