1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another wheel hub

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by borgestes, Mar 3, 2018.

1. borgestes

borgestes Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Had another wheel hub go out, it really chaps me because I have a bearing press on the back porch but I cannot find the bearings. koyo 3dacf038d-15 bearing is what this hub has stamped on it, a timkin. If anyone knows of a quality replacement I would really appreciate you pointing me in the right direction. Thanks!

2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I’ve used Moog and a Dura Go for the fronts.

Both are working well:).

How long since your last replacement?

3. borgestes

borgestes Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    6 month for the other side. Are you talking hub or bearing? I now have two bad hubs and want to press in two new bearings if I can find them. Thanks!

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    They may resemble the older construction where you could press individual bearings in, but they're not built that way: they're what all the cool kids are using lately, integrated Hub Bearing Assemblies (see the Hub Units chapter, here).

They are pressed together in the factory of the bearing supplier, in a way that gives them the correct preload with no adjustment necessary on your end, a trick you could probably not duplicate with your bearing press, even if you could get the inner rings, balls, and cages separately.

-Chap

Danny3xd and Raytheeagle like this.
  5. borgestes

borgestes Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Its a good read but I didn't see anything about a preload. Maybe I missed it? Looked like regular bearings. If anyone has found replacements please post a part number.

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Right—you may have skimmed over the "led to the development of the hub unit, an easy to install, pre-adjusted, and lubricated for life bearing assembly. These precision engineered, more expensive units had the advantage of a pre-adjusted internal clearance which minimizes wheel wobble, premium grease and seals providing maintenance free operation, and longer service life. Hub units come in 3 styles – Gen. 1, Gen. 2, and Gen. 3." part.

The "pre-adjusted" refers to preload (achieved by the clearance between the separate inner rings, as installed at the factory). There isn't really much else about a bearing to adjust.

The hub units for your car are the "Gen 3" style (only a naming coincidence; hub unit generations aren't the same as Prius generations), complete with one flange for mounting to the suspension and another for the rotor and wheel. The illustration in figure 3 should look very familiar.

-Chap

g3hb.png

Raytheeagle likes this.
  7. borgestes

borgestes Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for pointing it out. I would still like to install one just to see what I see. Im a little hard headed, and determined. But I must admit the car is a lot better to drive with that new quiet hub. They get loud..and this one still feels fine in the hand but driving it is loud, like its run out of its grease.

#7 borgestes, Mar 6, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  8. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Wow. Ball bearings for a wheel bearing. Seems odd.

EDIT: Just Googled it. Seems that's what's inside all these hub/bearing assemblies from most manufacturers. I'm no engineer, but it just seems a conventional roller bearing would be a better choice in this application.

#8 tvpierce, Mar 9, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hub bearing assemblies all the rage these days. Find one (or four) in many recent car models near you.

-Chap