1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another Window Tint Thread, Chicago/LA/AZ

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by elementnomore, Nov 13, 2013.

1. elementnomore

elementnomore Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Dear List,

I just picked up a 2012 Blizzard IV Prius Solar Roof and I'm thrilled. I am looking to get it tinted. I had formula one ceramic on the front 2 windows of my old car and 'cheaper' tint on the backs. I am in Chicago currently, then traveling down the east coast Washington DC ===> Savannah, Ga. ====> Los Angeles (where I live) by way of the 10 going west. I would really like to get my car tinted and I am wondering if I should just wait until I get back to LA or try to get it local and be tinted for the trip. I know that everyone really likes the 3m tint and I see that they now have a ceramic series at about 1/2 the price of Crystalline. I am attaching a data sheet. Any thoughts on price, should I get it in Chicago (20 degrees out now) or wait until I get to AZ or LA where they tint 1000's of Prius cars but they will most likely charge more. I am also considering getting the front tinted too and I care more about blocking the heat VS having blacked out windows. I believe my last car was 35%. Thanks in Advance!

[​IMG]

2. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Not necessarily. Prices might be cheaper as they push a lot of cars and also because of competition among tint shops.

elementnomore likes this.
  3. davekro

davekro Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I am in Northern California. I am thinking of going with 50% on the front two windows and 15% on the back windows and hatch. What is the difference between crystalline and ceramic 3M?

The tint guy says don't bother, but I am wondering if I should reduce the tint percentage for the lower hatch window that is already tinted. I am a bit concerned that adding 50% tint that pretended window will make it too dark. Anyone have experience with 15% tint on your hatch and how that came out on the lower window? Anyone go lighter, say 35% on the lower window, and how did that turn out (compared to the 15% on the hatch window above it)?
    Thanks for any feedback.

4. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The upper hatch is factory tinted 74% and the lower hatch is 29%. If you put 15% on the upper hatch, the aggregate is 11% (75% x 15% for an aggregate of 11.1%). If you want a similar % on the lower hatch, go with 35% (29% x 35% for an aggregate of 10%).

Many tinters will say don't bother, but don't listen to them.

5. davekro

davekro Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Excellent info thanks for letting me know about the 29% tint on the lower window. I now see that adding 15% tint to that lower window would net a 4.3% tint, just about the same as 5% limo tint.

6. davekro

davekro Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I went with SolarGard brand tint (Supreme). The actual VLT spec for this tint that I used:
    Driver & Pass. doors, 48% (their 50% tint)
    Back doors and upper hatch, 12 % (their 15% tint)
    lower hatch window, 37% (their 40% tint)

I am happy with the outcome. It will take some getting used to backing up at night, but that's OK. Glad I did not go darker than 50% on the front side windows for using the mirrors to see behind in poor light at night. I do not mind at all the difference in tint shade between the side windows (front to back). Glad to have the heat reducing darker 'privacy tint' back there and on hatch for heat reduction on hot days and very glad to have the visibility out the side windows (and via rear view mirrors at night!). I was surprised that the 'theory' of putting a lighter tint (37% vs. 12%) on the factory tinted lower hatch, did not net close to an equal level of shading between upper and lower hatch. I am fine with it as is. The lower hatch window came out noticeably lighter. When viewing from the drivers seat, you'd think I had not tinted the lower window (in comparison). I can only imagine that viewing a tinted window at such a sharp angle may may the light transmittance (at that angle) seem much less than looking through a window straight on. I'll count that 'lighter' lower window as a 'benefit' to backward visibility. :D That window does not get amount of direct sun as the upper one, or even the back sides for that matter.

I have not driven it in the sun yet. It was dark when I picked it up last night. Today is rainy cloudy and it has been in the garage anyway.

Bottom line I am a happy tint camper. :)