1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another year of XM Radio

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by jdcollins5, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Prius2012fl

Prius2012fl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Why would anyone even use XM when you can listen to any podcast and any music all from your phone's Bluetooth?

Nexus 5 ?

2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Because my mostly dumb phone has a very limited selection of music stored on it, no NPR or news or podcasts or traffic whatsoever, and no real data plan.

And because a real smartphone with a real data plan is considerably more expensive than my current prepaid phone and reduced XM plans combined.

And because I often travel in places that lack cellular coverage.

#22 fuzzy1, May 28, 2014
    Last edited: May 28, 2014
  3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Many reasons, such as:
    - data caps on cell phone plans and/or limits before being throttled
    - more variety - I've discovered all sorts of stuff thanks to XM (esp. on BPM and Electric Area) that I hadn't discovered via Pandora or iTunes Radio, some of which I ended up adding to my Spotify playlist
    - running down batteries on phones
    - some areas of poor cellular data coverage

I carry two smartphones: one from work and another personal. My personal phone on AT&T is connected via Bluetooth to my car, but I can't also conenct my other phone via BT at the same time (have to use a wire, unless I want to muck w/my nav system's menus to switch phones). But, I also run the fear of being throttled on AT&T since my data usage is already pretty high w/o any streaming music on it...

#23 cwerdna, May 28, 2014
    Last edited: May 28, 2014
  4. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I'll also add to your list:

1) the major streaming music services are now laced with ads unless, of course, you want to pay a monthly fee that's equal to or even more than XM.
    2) not having to pull out your phone (usually after you're buckled in) and select the music source and/or channel you want to listen to.
    3) not having to pull out your phone and plug it in every time (folks that only have an "audio in" and not bluetooth streaming)
    4) not having a hot phone in your pocket (sounds petty but not so in the summer down here)

5. tom2step100

tom2step100 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    #1 work supplied cell phone, no $75 a month bill for cell phone without 3g or 4g coverage at my house ( 1 bar near window) , About $120 a year for something I use about 6-8 hours a day.
    #2 exclusive talk show that I don't want to STEAL a day later with a torrent, also out in the sticks I have Sat internet or dialup that in metered to 5gigs a month.