1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Answers from Tesla

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by daniel, Mar 8, 2007.

1. zzyzx

zzyzx Junior Member

What exactly do these small electric cars get you that the Prius+ conversion doesn't other than price? It looks like the surface street behavior of the Prius+ would be the same (same top speed, same range), but it also would double as a second car for extended trips when needed.

2. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Zzyzx @ Mar 20 2007, 12:49 PM) [snapback]408983[/snapback]</div>

They are available TODAY! That's the difference!

BUT I do agree with you that if a Plug In Prius was available it could be an all in one vehicle. (electric for city driving and gas for freeway driving)

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Zzyzx @ Mar 20 2007, 09:49 AM) [snapback]408983[/snapback]</div>
    The Prius PHEV conversions still leave you limited by the EV acceleration of the Prius. Try getting from zero to 30 mph in a Prius without the engine starting up.

But the main thing is what Tracy said: You can buy an Xebra today. Nobody is currently performing Prius conversions.

If I bought an Xebra, it would be purely as a stop-gap, so I could be driving electric until a real EV or a real PHEV comes along.

My ideal car would be a PHEV that was a real, full-featured EV for 50 miles, and then a hybrid after that. It would have normal acceleration in EV mode, and a top EV speed of at least 50 mph, or ideally no EV speed restriction other than the top speed of the car.

But such a car does not exist, and all the promises look to me like hype or scam, with only two exceptions: Tesla, and Tango, both of which are extremely expensive and have long waiting times. Tesla estimates a May 2008 delivery date for cars ordered now, but that could get pushed back if their as-yet-unfinished testing reveals any more problems. Tango had about a 6-month wait last time I checked, and is the only freeway-capable EV actually being built and sold to owners today, but costs $108,000 for a 55-mile range, or $148,000 for a 250-mile range.

All the others look strongly to me like attempts to lure investors into scam investments, or big car companies' propaganda to make us believe they care, when in fact all they care about is selling more SUVs.

BUT BACK TO THE XEBRA:

I have not yet decided, but I now have three concerns:

1. The three-wheel design looks unstable to me. It was obviously chosen to avoid the "car" classification, and therefore to avoid including any safety features.

2. Safety, as above. This vehicle has no safety features at all. It is a three-wheeled motorcycle with a rain shell. Get t-boned by an SUV and it's curtains.

3. Quality. I have read that the Xebra may require "tinkering," and I am not capable of tinkering. And the dealer is 10 hours away.

4. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Mar 20 2007, 01:51 PM) [snapback]409029[/snapback]</div>
    Daniel, The tinkering was more nessecary when the Xebra first came out. Any and all issues that people had were addressed and taken care of. I don't hear many issues from new buyers of Xebras. The issues were way back when people were the first buyers of the Xebras. Back then yes there were many issues.

Also I have a local golf cart company who has told me they can take care of any issues I have. I probably won't even need them. I haven't in 10 months I have owned my Gem needed them. IF I do need them though it will probably be more for an add on then something they would need to fix.

Zap has been on top of ANY issues they have been told about. I'm quite pleased to see that about them.

5. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Mar 20 2007, 05:51 PM) [snapback]409029[/snapback]</div>
    But that's much easier when the battery's full (7-8 bars). That's the behaviour a PHEV conversion would produce, as far as I'm aware. However, I agree with the rest of your post.

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tracysbeans @ Mar 20 2007, 11:00 AM) [snapback]409035[/snapback]</div>
    GEM = Made in Fargo, North Dakota.

Xebra = Made in China.

I'd expect the GEM to be a very high-quality product.

However, I appreciate your comments about the quality of the Xebra. I still have safety concerns, and don't much care for the three-wheel design.

7. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Mar 20 2007, 02:14 PM) [snapback]409048[/snapback]</div>

Yes but:

A Gem =25mph

A Xebra =35mph+

Since a 25mph electric vehicle won't work for you then that leaves the only car currently available that can do very close to what you need (with upgrades) an Xebra.

I think the Xebras are cute looking. (at least the trucks)

To me if I didn't own a Gem right now and I was looking at both I would have to pick an Xebra cost wise. Gems cost way to much for someone in a cold area with all the seperate options you have to buy. If I bought a 2007 Gem today I would be looking a $15K alone and then another grande for the upgraded 40 miles range batteries. So I would be looking at paying at least $16K and then that's not even giving me some simple things such as a radio and locking doors. (The $16K would just get me the Gem, heater/defroster/gel batteries/hard doors) So there is tons of other options I wouldn't get that come standard in an Xebra. Quality has always been an issue to me but I would take a bit less quality to save myself close to $5K.

Now regarding safety there's not much I can do for you on that. People all over the USA and beyond drive motorcycles. Are they safe? No not if they get hit dead on buy an Suv. Someone riding a bike in the bike line is taking a risk. When I walk across the street I'm taking a risk. Some people would never take the risk to drive a motorcycle. Some wouldn't live without riding a motorcycle. It's a personal thing. There has been talk buy Sean about adding some airbags to the Xebra. I'm not sure where he is at with that.

Whatever you decide to do Daniel I hope it works out for you. For me personally I wasn't going to wait and glad I didn't. I have driven an electric vehicle for just about 10 months now. If I had choose to wait for a "full featured" EV I would be waiting for years. That's just not something I wanted to do and glad I didn't.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Mar 20 2007, 01:51 PM) [snapback]409029[/snapback]</div>

That's how I felt when I first decided to get my Gem. However that has all changed once I got my Gem and found that my Gem was good enough to take care of most of my needs. Matter fact my Gem is now my Primary vehicle. I didn't realize that was going to happen but it did and that's a great thing for me financially. I always figure if I ever don't have enough range to get somewhere in my Gem then I can just hope in my Prius. No big deal and this way I can have an electric vehicle without having to pay and arm and a leg. To me that now makes NO sense at all. (especially since I already have a $30K Prius)

8. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well as usual, its not the manufacturers we have to deal with completely. most states limit NEV's to 25mph max. that is why the Xebra is a three wheeler.

what it boils down to is we all talk about EV's the environment and GW, but very little is being done to enable product advancements

9. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Mar 20 2007, 11:02 AM) [snapback]409093[/snapback]</div>
    Ain't that the truth!? Contrary to what Daniel sees as scams and such (and there are plenty of those as well!) there really are plenty of people quietly working their collective asses off to get cars made. Many of them are NOT in the US, but wish to sell here. The barrier to entry in the US automobile market is huge - and this is one reason why I push so hard for BEVS to be available from the big makers - it is the only way to bring a reasonably-priced, high-quality car with a warranty to the masses. The "botiques" will eventually get some cars on the road - and that'll satisfy the relatively affluent few who want to "do the right thing. But what we need is REAL change by the big players. And all we have is talk from the big players - while many of the little guys are hunkering down and gettin' it done - though it is taking forever.