1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Antarctic melting

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by tochatihu, Dec 10, 2016.

1. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    If relatively warm ocean water can get under grounded ice, that ice may melt. See for example:

J. S. Greenbaum, D. D. Blankenship, D. A. Young, T. G. Richter, J. L. Roberts, A. R. A. Aitken, B. Legresy, D. M. Schroeder, R. C. Warner, T. D. van Ommen & M. J. Siegert (2015). Ocean access to a cavity beneath Totten Glacier in East Antarctica. Nature Geoscience 8, 294–298 doi:10.1038/ngeo2388

As at the other pole, mojo assumes that such water being warm has nothing to do with CO2. I find no reason to make that assumption.

Antarctic ice can also melt from geothermal heat below, if there is enough of it. Geothermal is certainly unrelated to atmospheric CO2. We have this:

Dustin M. Schroeder, Donald D. Blankenship, Duncan A. Young, and Enrica Quartini. (2014). Evidence for elevated and spatially variable geothermal flux beneath the West Antarctic Ice Sheet. PNAS 111 925), 9070–9072, doi: 10.1073/pnas.1405184111

Andrew T. Fisher, Kenneth D. Mankoff, Slawek M. Tulaczyk, Scott W. Tyler, Neil Foley, and the WISSARD Science Team, (2015). High geothermal heat flux measured below the West Antarctic Ice Sheet. Science Advances 1(6), e1500093 DOI: 10.1126/sciadv.1500093

The maximum heat flux they measured was 285 milliwatts per square meter. Global continental average is 65 milliwatts per square meter. So there is geothermal heating, but it is not (yet) known to be amazing. Elevated values are found in some places of ice loss but not in others. Unless it changed recently, it was present during ice formation as well. I find no reason to assume geothermal is the only cause.

Warm-water intrusion and geothermal patterns add to the complexity of understanding Antarctic ice dynamics. I see no simple resolution of this at local, regional or continental scales. The ice folks simply have to keep doing what they do. It dishonors their hard work for us to grasp at simplistic answers.

2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    To make sense of geothermal heat flux we can consider more familiar examples. The entire Yellowstone region (where snow does accumulate in winter) averages 2 watts per square meter, and 20 watts at geothermal features (where snow does not accumulate).

Burying electrical heating cables to promptly melt all snow and ice; from an installation guide I calculate heating is 200 watts per square meter. That is an 'overkill level' where power is not continuously applied.

We can compare these to the max (so far) reported Antarctic level of 0.285 watts per square meter.

As always I think it rewarding (and not very difficult) to put things like this in perspective. But there are too many 'things' in this wide world. I often rely on PriusChat muses to select more interesting ones.

fuzzy1 likes this.
  3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Cheap shot:
    [​IMG]

There is a pretty impressive ice sheet at the bottom with a thinning bridge to the east. One good storm and a fairly impressive block of ice will be in the antarctic polar sea.

Bob Wilson

4. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Latest study from NASA says Antarctica land ice has been growing for the past few decades.In the past few years sea ice in the Antarctic has been the greatest in history as well.While the air temperature has been the record coldest of anywhere on the planet in history .
    Obviously any idiot can realize that if ice melts from the underside it has to be from geothermal energy.Finally you idiots accept that.

5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    No. It doesn't.
    Surface melt has a way of finding ways through the ice sheet, down to the bottom. That water will carry heat from the surface down to there, and also generate more through friction with the ice.

litesong likes this.
  6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you have any new links for evidence since some of these claims were debunked? Or do you just like proof-by-repetition?

litesong and Trollbait like this.
  7. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Uh, you're showing too much respect:

Bob Wilson

fuzzy1 likes this.
  8. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This is part of the report:

A new NASA study found that there has been a net increase in land ice in Antarctica in recent years, despite a decline in some parts of the continent. The study's lead author astutely predicted that climate science deniers would distort the study, even though it does nothing to contradict the scientific consensus on climate change or the fact that sea levels will continue to rise.

This from a few days ago:

Massive Rift in Antarctic Ice Shelf Spotted in NASA Photograph : News : Nature World News

At some point in the near future, the facts will impose themselves on us all. I fear it is far too late to do anything meaningful to avoid what is coming.

9. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I was aware of the snow accumulation because of the higher humidity. A warmer ocean means more precipitation in some areas.

Bob Wilson

10. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    My post from that other thread in response to @5 being repeated here:

H. Jay ZWALLY, Jun LI, John W. ROBBINS, Jack L. SABA, Donghui YI, Anita C. BRENNER. (2015). Mass gains of the Antarctic ice sheet exceed losses. Journal of Glaciology, 61(230), 101-1036. doi: 10.3189/2015JoG15J071

Which is free to download. I would appreciate it as always if others would look at this and compare to other conclusions that appear to disagree. Or, if someone can find indications of discussions between Zwally and Velicogna? Those are the folks who know. There should be no need to rely on affinity websites here.

+++
    As I also said over there Zwally et al. did something novel with ice cores in their analysis. Not something I can explain, but it seems to have contributed to their finding positive mass balance.

Other continent wide studies found negative ice balance, with wide variability. There may be 10 or 20 of those, many cited by this Zwally. Their group seems to be alone in finding positive, and that's OK. The ice folks simply need to get together and convince each other of the particular value of their own methods.

In the meantime we can content ourselves with another recent study:

Paolo, FS, Fricker, HA, Padman, L. (2015). Volume loss from Antarctic ice shelves is accelerating. Science 348(6232), 327-331.

Or with Zwally, as each sees fit. Paolo provide a nice graphic which Zwally group might offer to revise on a regional basis.

My post from that other thread in response to @5 being repeated here:

H. Jay ZWALLY, Jun LI, John W. ROBBINS, Jack L. SABA, Donghui YI, Anita C. BRENNER. (2015). Mass gains of the Antarctic ice sheet exceed losses. Journal of Glaciology, 61(230), 101-1036. doi: 10.3189/2015JoG15J071

Which is free to download. I would appreciate it as always if others would look at this and compare to other conclusions that appear to disagree. Or, if someone can find indications of discussions between Zwally and Velicogna? Those are the folks who know. There should be no need to rely on affinity websites here.

+++
    As I also said over there Zwally et al. did something novel with ice cores in their analysis. Not something I can explain, but it seems to have contributed to their finding positive mass balance.

Other continent wide studies found negative ice balance, with wide variability. There may be 10 or 20 of those, many cited by this Zwally. Their group seems to be alone in finding positive, and that's OK. The ice folks simply need to get together and convince each other of the particular value of their own methods.

In the meantime we can content ourselves with another recent study:

Paolo, FS, Fricker, HA, Padman, L. (2015). Volume loss from Antarctic ice shelves is accelerating. Science 348(6232), 327-331.

Or with Zwally, as each sees fit. Paolo provide a nice graphic which Zwally group might offer to revise on a regional basis. Which I cannot upload today. But soon I hope

11. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  12. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  13. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I asked for new links. That is the same 2015 story you posted previously.

And it doesn't address your debunked claims:

14. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Impressive:
    [​IMG]

And the results:
    [​IMG]

What is most rewarding is this effort was international, not a USA-only investigation. What this means is we won't have to worry about climate science being censored by the false friends of @mojo.

Bob Wilson

15. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Paolo et al 2015 figure
    Paolo et al 2015 Antarctic ice balance recent image.png

16. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Beyond the current situation, we have:

M. Frezzotti, C. Scarchilli, S. Becagli, M. Proposito, and S. Urbini (2013). A synthesis of the Antarctic surface mass balance during the last 800 yr. The Cryosphere, 7, 303–319, doi:10.5194/tc-7-303-2013

Using ice cores as paleo proxies they examine mass balance another way. Even though cores are not ‘coastal’, they reveal a dynamic place. TSI here means Total Solar Irradiance, and there is some indication of relationships between solar and Antarctic ice dynamics. Mojo will enjoy that, until realizing that the purported cold times often correspond to less ice. Anyway, that ice has had its ups and downs, found here to be increasing since 1850. During which times global surface air temperatures have also increased.

Frezzoti et al 2013 Antarctic ice balance 800 yr.png

One wonders if these anomalies can be matched up with current dynamics. Which again, may be up to 300 gigatons per year negative (Paolo and most other studies), or 80 gigatons per year positive (Zwally). Paolo et al. 2015 does address Zwally’s claims; another reason to read it.

17. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Maybe some would collect this very large file:

A.J. Simmons, P. Berrisford, D. P. Dee, H. Hersbach, S. Hirahara and J.-N. Thépaut (2016). A reassessment of temperature variations and trends from global reanalyses and monthly surface climatological datasets. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society DOI: 10.1002/qj.2949

I mention it here for one sentence from Abstract:

“None of the datasets exhibit net warming over the Antarctic since 1979.”

To what extent Antarctic ice is melting, it thus seems not because of warmer air overhead. As forcing factors we have warmer water lapping on margins, (sometimes like now) less marginal sea ice as ‘dams’ against unloading, and geothermal heat flux. The latter of course to have dynamic effect would need to be changing, but no one has suggested so.

We have current local observations that parts of WAIS now show surface fissures, which may portend ‘big enough to talk about’ future ice dumps. If not, business as usual. If so, real, serious ‘climate/fossil-C/energy/human enterprise’ discussion might commence.

18. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    There is evidence that the current pause in the warming trend (which goes back to the early 1950's), began int he late 1990's, and is due to the decrease in the size of the ozone hole over the Antarctic. Glacial retreat is continuing, and the increase in snow levels is due to the overall warming of the earth. The CO2 levels above the South Pole have passed the 400ppm level as compared to preindustrial levels around 280ppm, and the cooling trend is expected to eventually become dominated by the warming of the atmosphere.

19. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Youve repeated yet another in a huge poop pile of climate science inaccuracies.
    Co2 is not well mixed in the Earths atmosphere.Its a pure nonsense.But pure nonsense is perfectly acceptable in climate science.Especially at the Earths poles ,CO2 is lower than 400 ppm.The temps in Antarctica go down to -128F.
    I wonder if CO2 can remain as a gas at that temperature.