1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anti-Hybrid, Prius FUD and Misinfo Still Abounds

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by cycledrum, Jan 26, 2013.

1. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    jadziasman likes this.
  2. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Oh brother.....

I can say this about Prius/hybrid FUD though. Its a lot easier now that the Prius has been around since 1997 to combat the myths. No, the batteries dont die before 100,000 miles and cost $8000. No, the car wont run out of electricity have way to work and leave you stranded. No, first responders wont get electrocuted if you crash your Prius. We have so much documented proof now from all kinds of sources, thankfully. STILL people choose to believe anything they hear.... you can lead a horse to water, they say.

And I agree, that video of the (crazy) lady in the parking lot screaming at the family in the pickup truck idling was embarrassing for me to watch.

OceanEyes likes this.
  3. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  4. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    One thing's for sure, seems like the Prius griping has slowed down a lot. It was pretty bad 4 or 5 years ago.

btw, anyone who's had nasty things to say about an electric car is probably instantly cured and converted seeing a Tesla Model S.

OceanEyes likes this.
  5. coach81

coach81 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Have to admit I was laughing at this one... and the psycho lady was awesome as well...thanks for the link...

OceanEyes likes this.
  6. OceanEyes

OceanEyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That lady must have had her skivvies wedged tightly....she was vile!

Despite the fact I sometimes get teased about owning a Prius I like fueling it up... The truck not so much.... (Last week's visit to the gas station for the truck was downright painful!)

The only downside driving the Prius for me is that it is tough to gauge where the front bumper is when parking coming from driving a big truck....

My coworker who was without a car for two weeks was fascinated by the two Prii that took her home (mine included). Her comment was "I used to think they were ugly but when you see mileage like that I think the Prius is growing on me..."

I do laugh at some of the Prius jokes but in the end you can't beat the mileage and I am having fun driving mine.

Now if Toyota can just keep the commercials from venturing into the strange zone...I can remember the first Prius commercial I saw had me muttering something like, "good Gawd, what the hell was that?!" It was the one with the hundreds of people dressed as flowers and grass..... I think it was followed by "I will NEVER be caught dead in one of those...."

Famous last words.... :)

7. OceanEyes

OceanEyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The kids in that video were cracking me up!

8. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  9. OceanEyes

OceanEyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    A Tesla time machine!

10. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That was hilarious. Loved it. I'm harassed at least once a week about my Prius at work. There's the one guy with a license plate frame that says "Real men don't drive a Prius." I often retort with a "Thank you for paying for my car, " which is in reference to my federal tax rebate on the PiP. I haven't found a good reply to the, "Stealing electricity from work, huh?" whenever someone sees me plugging in my car. I just say, "You know it." The toughest comment I got was, "You drive so slowly out of the parking lot. Do you pull over to let people behind you pass so they can go home?" I couldn't say anything to a comment with so much anti-hybrid bias. I do drive extra slow in the parking lot because I almost ran over two people and I've only had the car 3 months. The noise maker is pretty useless in an environment that has a lot of ambient noise.

Still I take everything lightly as I have Prius smug also. I'm pretty sure gasoline and driving fast will be recreational in the future. They'll all join us once gasoline gets expensive enough. It's like in Back to the Future 3 when Doc is explaining the future about cars. Nobody will run with their legs anymore except for fun.

OceanEyes likes this.
  11. OceanEyes

OceanEyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The smug is fun when you watch someone fueling up and he/she is eyeing what it takes to get a Prius away from the pump....

mmmodem likes this.
  12. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Interesting that you post this. As I was driving away from Sam's gas pump yesterday I caught a glimpse of a young lady filling up huge SUV run around to my pump to see how much I had purchased :)

PriusGuy32, coach81 and OceanEyes like this.
  13. OceanEyes

OceanEyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    LOL - it's a Prius thing...:D

14. dhanson865

dhanson865 Expert and Devil's advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I find it hard to get more than 8 gallons in my Prius but then it's a 2005 and has that bladder inside the gas tank.

But imagine the look on that SUV driver's face when they see I got 7.x or 8.x gallons on a fillup.

15. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Other drivers shoot me dirty looks when I'm filling the Prius, but start up conversations and sympathize when I'm trying to fill our motorhome. Go figure.

OceanEyes likes this.
  16. coach81

coach81 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    People are so....

17. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I got asked today. Some guy at the gas station (driving an early 2000's ford taurus) walks over and goes "Do these things really get the gas mileage they say they do?" and I replied "NO, its AWFUL" with the straightest most disgusted face I could make :D

He was taken aback and I said "haha, Im just kidding. Right now Im getting 52mpg", smiled, grabbed my receipt and got into my car :LOL:

OceanEyes likes this.
  18. OceanEyes

OceanEyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Then I got stuck in the bank drive through for 10-20 minutes after sending the tube up the chute.... Teller apologizes and then pauses to ask, "Is that a... Prius?!" She was fascinated... But even the car was getting bored with the wait and was turning herself on and off for entertainment.

Her head followed us out the drive... Saw her inside yesterday and she was the first one ready to help the chick with "the pretty Prius."

Too bad I had another crappy tank yesterday.... 35.... Ugh! I could have been venting some comment with the way life is going these days.

At least today is a new day and we have the ability to hand out those Kool Aid samples....:)

mmmodem likes this.
  19. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I've only been asked once on how much it costs to plug in my car. That particular Chargepoint was free. That made the person smile but I then answered his next question with 11 miles range and he rolled his eyes. Ack, what is the best way to hand out Kool-aid with that loisy even to me piece of fact?

20. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    A. "Eleven free miles before I go down to 52 MPG to the next chance to charge."

Bob Wilson

mmmodem, OceanEyes and PriusGuy32 like this.