1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Anti-Plugin War is Heating up Fast

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by hill, Mar 11, 2017.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks. i'm not a big fan of cubic feet. i'll take the pip and a tape measure with me when i test drive the bolt.
    not to pre judge, but prime is too small for me, so i don't hold a lot of hope for bolt.
    that doesn't mean it won't sell, i just don't think it will have as big an impact as a larger vehicle might.

RCO and bwilson4web like this.
  2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    gee, surprise surprise, maybe 2 people per square mile? We have friends that live on the Montana/Canada Border West Side of glacier. 5 minutes to gas up? so what .... it means they have to drive 1½ hrs to get to a gas station. Even so, they don't mind being out in the boonies. But if they did need electricity to charge a car, they don't have to drive a three-hour round-trip to get it, since they have photovoltaic solar & battery backup.
    There are well over two dozen high power stations (from Tesla superchargers to 50 amp 250v RV parks) that folks can use in Montana, but they put them where people are. It's quite a novel idea.

RCO and 3PriusMike like this.
  3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Just curious but I get the impression from the web ads that RV parks having the electric infrastructure still 'rent' a parking place for a day to get access to a plug. It strikes me they might do a little better business with a lower, hourly parking rate, to attract plug-in/EV users. Did I 'miss the memo?'

Thanks,
    Bob Wilson

RCO likes this.
  4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    They would if owners of other plug in brands didn't have to lug around a Level 2 EVSE unit with a suitable plug. As of now, only Tesla supplies a portable EVSE with the car that could take advantage of a RV outlet.

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It actually doesn't take much skill to make up one's own adapters. Although they would not exactly be U.L. approved - they can be reasonably safe. Several companies make 'em up, too;
    [​IMG]
    Nice handles like these can prevent pulling wires loose, on this, the campco brand. We had one private campground let us in once - to use an empty RV spot for over an hour - which more than got us to our intended destination some 35+ miles away. We tried to slip the guy a 20 - to no avail. Heck, there are some CHAdeMO's around here that would charge us that much anyways.

#45 hill, Mar 16, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
    RCO and bwilson4web like this.
  6. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    It all depends on the RV Park.
    Some are more than happy to let you charge at no cost if there is an open spot.
    Others won't let you at all.
    Most will charge, ranging from full cost rental of the spot, to a few bucks for electricity.

Time of season will change this as well. With RV parks, always best to call ahead.

RCO likes this.
  7. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Adapters are available, but the portable EVSE that comes with most plug ins is still just Level 1.

8. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wasn't there a thread claiming not much advertising for EVs?

Today's paper Bay Area News Group , eastbaytime.com .....

full 2 page ad for Bolt. I've seen full page ads for Bolt in paper before too. They are making effort to sell it.

9. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Bolt is actually quite roomy inside, I took one for a test drive last week. Plenty of headroom, and plenty of rear seat legroom.
    If you get a chance, give one a try- you may be pleasantly surprised!

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks, i plan to. it's the hatch space i'm concerned with. i don't often carry passengers.

[QUOTE="cycledrum, post:

RCO likes this.
  11. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ^ gotcha...
    I did take a pretty good look at the rear cargo area when I was waiting for the salesman to find/attach the dealer plates for our test ride..
    It's not as large as the Prius, but the rear seats fold down which makes the storage area quite large then.

Please try the Bolt in "L" on the shifter so you can experience true "one pedal driving" without the need for brakes... it's a blast!

IMO the Bolt got it's styling cues from the beloved Prius C, not the Fit....

[​IMG]

RCO, Zythryn and bisco like this.
  12. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Then you'll have the rear seats sown anyway. Cargo is no worry then.

Or maybe the Sonic.
    [​IMG]

Remeber, the Aztek had the kammback with split window before the Prius.

13. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Still trying to forget that... that... thing!

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no, i like the rear seats up, and the ability to fill the hatch without having to put them down unless absolutely necessary.
    a car with a smaller hatch than pip is really going to have to wow me to get me into it. tbh, i like the pip too much, don't want to trade down.

RCO likes this.
  15. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    When you look at the Bolt, be sure to check if the hatch floor pulls out. It does on the Sonic, and it is fully usable space about 4 inches deep, and not just space available around the spare on the gen2 Prius. It means the floor is below the door, but it gives more room below the top of the seat backs.

The lack of the hatch floor let the Sonic sedan trunk to rivaled cars a size up in space.

bisco likes this.
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    will do, thanks. the gen 2 had a full tray on top of the spare, and, i assume gen 3?

17. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    curious as to your height & inseam - as what's considered quite roomy to Mickey Rooney might just be a bit of a squeeze for the likes of Herman Munster, or other Frankensteins like me.

RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  18. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ^ 5'11", 185lbs, 33" waist, 32" inseam.
    44 regular for the top- medium grey wool- I'll pm you with my mailing address :D

RCO and bisco like this.
  19. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Do you like long walks on the beach in the Moonlight?

Yea, i can see the 'roomy' term being flung around @ that height - but as one of the original beta testers for Prius "extend-my-seat" brackets .... well, you can imagine how I'd sit in the Volt's back seat. And if I'm in the driver's seat, & you're seated behind me, you better be a double amputee. Here's to hoping the next gen is about a ½ft longer.

#59 hill, Mar 22, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    RCO likes this.
  20. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Having grown up with mostly imported stick shift sports cars (MG's Triumph's and Fiats) I have adopted the 'straight arm' driving position in regards to the steering wheel. That makes me push the driver seat quite far back even in cars with telescopic steering wheels.
    In my 2014 Volt... If I try to sit in the rear seat behind the driver seat in it's usual position for me driving the Volt... it's tight and very uncomfortable.

One of the first things I did in the Bolt was to place the driver seat in a comfortable position for my driving style- then walk around and sit in the rear left passenger seat. There was much more rear seat leg room in the Bolt vs. the 2014 Volt. I wouldn't be uncomfortable sitting back there if someone my height was driving the Bolt.

FYIW- NY State has finally released the details of it's EV Point-of-Sale Rebate Program that starts 4/1/17...

How the Drive Clean Rebate Works - NYSERDA

The Prius Prime qualifies for an $1,100 POS rebate from NY State.

#60 ny_rob, Mar 22, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2017