1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Anti-Plugin War is Heating up Fast

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by hill, Mar 11, 2017.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if dealers around here drop their pants to the 5k discounts i'm reading about, i'll be hard pressed to resist.

RCO likes this.
  2. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's the same here on Long Island with the Bolt Bisco.
    CA dealers are offering a real/legit $3K off MSRP without even asking.... here in downstate NY it's strictly MSRP, no discounts whatsoever on the Bolt (so far).

RCO and bisco like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'll probably watch to see who blinks first, chevy or toyota.:p

RCO likes this.
  4. Samprocat

Samprocat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Tesla companyRimac companyThey are already hereCombustion engine just can't compete against BEV. Once try BEV and all benefits they have against gas carsAt least in my life this was last year i owned 100% 12 cylinder fosil fuel propelled car

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

RCO likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed, but most people won't try them. between the plug in wars and geopolitics, we're still quite aways from increasing significant ev sales.

RCO likes this.
  6. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    To me 50% yoy growth is a significant increase. It looks like plug-in market in US and china can do that in 2017-2020. Its from a small base, but US and china are the 2 biggest car markets. Growth seems slower in Japan, Europe, and ROW, and that is likely to continue.

RCO and Zythryn like this.
  7. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have to disagree. Perhaps at some point in the future when the infrastructure is in a BEV will be the way to go. Right now, unless you live in the right area, the charging systems are seriously inadequate. Spending an hour every three hours to recharge will not prove to be popular. In addition, the cost of electricity vs gasoline needs to be taken onto account. There are places right now where it is cheaper to buy gas than kwh's. The popularity of the Prime is a good example to use. . Even with gas prices almost historically low, it is still selling. BEV's are at least one generation away, depending on better battery technology.

RCO likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think bev growth will hit a ceiling once hybrid drivers stop switching and tax credits peter out. they will need higher gas prices and hopefully new incentives along with with inevitable tech improvements to continue effective growth.

RCO and drysider like this.
  9. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    It is the way to go, for some.
    It isn't a "on/off" proposition, it is a "how big is the market today".
    The size of that market has, and will continue to grow due to a number of factors:
    A) As more options from auto makers enter the market.
    B) As range increases.
    C) As prices come down.
    D) As infrastructure continues to improve.

Each and every one of these factors increase the market in and of themselves. However, all of these factors are happening at one time.

10. Samprocat

Samprocat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It take much longer in P100D with highway speed to burn electrons....and by that time you will appreciate short stop...Tesla chargers are just fine the way they are and if sometime i need slow charger to use i will plan ahead and take well deserved rest....I have used my brother Tesla in Europe and travel almost the same amount of time on a trip 1150 KMAnd once i was at my house in Croatia i just use Solar power...I was hesitant at beginning...now i will take any time BEV with 250+ miles on long tripsOnly way BEV is inadequate is going to far away from network

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

11. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    E) As people actually try driving one. :D

RCO and Zythryn like this.
  12. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I disagree.
    • There are qualities beyond reducing gasoline use to BEVs. People are buying while it can cost more to use electricity.
    • We've already seen cost reductions in the batteries. It has been better than predicted, and hasn't hit the limit yet.
    • Many plug in buyers didn't switch from a hybrid.
    BEVs themselves are limited by charging access, and car range. Back when the longest range, affordable one was the 85 mile Leaf, 40% of US households could make use of one. That number just increases with each range improvement and price drop. Charging availability outside of home is more about boosting buyer confidence than actual need at this point.

TomSwift and Zythryn like this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    a) those qualities are invisible to most gasser drivers

b) i said that

c) no evidence

RCO likes this.
  14. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Acceleration and power are not.

I don't think we need to continue incentives indefinitely and/or high gas prices for them. It will help, but not needed.

Where's the evidence that plug in buyers are all ditching a hybrid for it? A strong case can be made with the Prime and Energis, but it would only be an assumption that those buying the PHEV would even consider the hybrid if it was the only option. The counter argument is the lost sales of ICE only models to Tesla. There is also the sales evidence to show that plug in sales are not as tied to gas prices as hybrid sales are.

15. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Besides incentives, CA mandates drive sales.

bisco likes this.
  16. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Lets see how the next few years shake out. Some are predicting that the Tesla car production volume will not materialize as Elon would wish. Some are predicting that the price of a Model 3 will really be more like $60k once the more desirable add-ons are configured. How many reservations will be unfilled due to price. How many reservations were speculators. And all today's high volume car manufacturers will have competitive cars out for sale once the initial orders for the Model 3 are satisfied so competition will ensue and we'll be able to tell from resale prices what the value of the initial EVs will become. The regulatory climate is sadly changing, the incentives are in doubt.

RCO likes this.
  17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    1) not if they don't try one.

2) agreed, we don't need them forever.

3) we're both guessing.

RCO likes this.
  18. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    your right ...
    in fact it's already begun! The hope of even 100,000 folks clunking down $1,000 deposits on a long wait? That was a crazy stretch. And now? OMG ... with the oilies working hard to overturn clean support - what if ⅓ ... or even ½ of the 400K deposit holders give up! why - tesla's wildest expectations would only be 200% over the crazy #'s they already have. Don't know about the rest of you - but it seems like its time to start biting nails & wringing hands!

#78 hill, Mar 28, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
    RCO and finman like this.
  19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm not chuffed. but i do wonder about sales once all the greenies and hov sticker people are satisfied.

RCO likes this.
  20. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    But all of Tesla's investment in production is predicated on those early adopters leading into still more keeping the factory producing after all the current depositors are satisfied. Not saying it will happen, just that it could and the current regulatory climate doesn't help.

RCO likes this.