1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anti-Prius Motorists

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by monsoon_xvi, Feb 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sshiffrin

sshiffrin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Masnyd @ Mar 1 2007, 08:06 PM) [snapback]398845[/snapback]</div>
    While that is legally correct, in part, it is not the best driving habit. I notice you are from Florida. Here is a quote from the florida driver's handbook:

"Driving Too Slowly is also Against the Law
    Drive with the flow of traffic (within the speed limit). You should not drive so slowly that you block other vehicles moving at normal, safe
    speeds. You can be issued a ticket for driving too slowly. When the posted speed limit is 70 mph, the minimum speed limit is 50 mph."

And here is another quotation:

"Always drive on the right side of a two-lane highway except when passing.
    If the road has four or more lanes with two-way traffic, drive in the right lanes
    except when overtaking and passing. Left"

Finally, here is another quotation from the Florida driver's manual:

"Drive in the right lane and pass on the left. If there are three lanes,
    use the right lane for lower speed driving, the left for passing."

The point is that it is both courteous and the best driving practice to stay to the right until you are either driving at the prevailing speed or all the way right. That keeps the road orderly with anyone passing doing so on the left.

Bottom line, IMHO, is that fast and slow drivers need to be courteous.

2. priusH8R

priusH8R New Member

Law's about driving too slow:

this is out of the California DMV handbook:

Reduced Speeds
    Heavy traffic or bad weather
    You must drive slower when there is heavy traffic or bad weather. However, if you block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic by driving too slowly, you may be given a ticket. If you choose to drive slower than other traffic, do not drive in the “No. 1†(fast) lane. Always move to the right when another driver is close behind you and wishes to drive faster.

Choosing A Lane
    Traffic lanes are often referred to by number. The left or “fast†lane is called the “No. 1 Lane.†The lanes to the right of the No. 1 lane are called the No. 2 lane, then the No. 3 lane. etc.

Example of numbered traffic lanes

Drive in the lane with the smoothest flow of traffic. If you can choose among three lanes, pick the middle lane for the smoothest driving. To drive faster, pass, or turn left, use the left lane. When you choose to drive slowly or enter or turn off the road, use the right lane.

If there are only two lanes in your direction, pick the right lane for the smoothest driving.

Don’t weave in and out of traffic. Stay in one lane as much as possible. Once you start through an intersection, keep going. If you start to make a turn, follow through. Last second changes may cause accidents. If you missed a turn, continue to the next intersection and work your way back to where you want to go.

this is posted on lawforkids.com

Question: Can you get a ticket for driving too slow?

Answer: Arizona law (ARS 28-704) makes it illegal to drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to block the normal and reasonable flow of traffic on any street.

In addition, this law allows local authorities to set minimum speed limits for their streets and highways. The law then makes it illegal to drive at a speed less than the minimum posted speed. Minimum speeds are often found on major highways designed for fast moving travel.

Interestingly, this law also requires that a vehicle being driven at a speed less than the normal rate of traffic on a two-lane road, where passing is unsafe, must pull over at the next safe 'turn-out' spot and let other traffic go by whenever five or more vehicles are backed up behind it.

So, the answer to the question is 'Yes, there are a number of situations under Arizona law in which a person can get a ticket or citation for driving too slow.'

3. member

member New Member

Colorado has posted minimum limits in some areas. Yes you can be ticketed for driving too slow, although you may get shot before that happened.

4. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Mar 1 2007, 09:20 PM) [snapback]398821[/snapback]</div>
    If you're in the lefthand lane, going 20 miles above the speed limit, effectively passing the long line of cars that is to your right, and a car comes up behind you and sees that 1) you can't get over to the right because of the aforementioned line of cars, and 2) that you're already going well over the speed limit--but insists on riding 6 inches from your rear bumper, then no, you're not being an idiot. They guy behind you is.

Tailgating is idiotic, period. I'm constantly getting behind people who are barely hitting the speed limit in the left lane, and I choose not to tailgate them. It doesn't solve anything, but sure as heck creates a lot of accidents.

(Now don't get me wrong--the stream of epithets said under my breath in the above circumstance would make a sailor blush with shame.)

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i live in a semi-big city (~300k people). i drive like i live in a semi-big city. i'm often looking to pass other people, but not in an aggressive manner. unless you're in a brand new lexus riding smack in the middle of both lanes with one turn signal on and no clue as to where you're going. then i lay on the horn and tell you to learn how to drive before trying it in the real world.

zero problems since i resumed driving this way.

6. priusH8R

priusH8R New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Delta Flyer @ Mar 1 2007, 05:51 PM) [snapback]398807[/snapback]</div>
    I do not tailgate people in the slow lane. People who do stuff like that need to see a shrink. I try not to tailgate people at all that's why I am here venting on this site. When people tailgate me I either move to the right if there is no one ahead of me, or slam on my brakes if I am in traffic and there is other cars ahead of me and no where for the fool behind me to go. Who said I was telling the police how to drive? I think you may have taken too many meds or suntin. I have respect for others on the road and you guys should wake up and do the same.

7. priusH8R

priusH8R New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Display Name @ Mar 1 2007, 07:43 PM) [snapback]398862[/snapback]</div>
    Good point. Same goes for here in Los Angeles. I am not ready to do life in jail for killing anyone over they're bad driving habits. That is why I came here to vent like a gentleman. A prius owner started this thread and I thought my opinion would be valuable to the prius drivers. I think it's funny that prius owners think that everyone is like jealous of them or something. If I wanted a prius I would buy one. I like my V6.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zqfmbg @ Mar 1 2007, 06:14 PM) [snapback]398815[/snapback]</div>
    well at least look over your left shoulder first, and match the speed of the vehicle you are about to get in front of or wait til it's safe. Thats why you have that mirror. If there were an accident in that situation who would be at fault? huh? It is'nt about owning the road in that case. It is a safety issue. If you pull in front of someone at a slower rate of speed, bottom line that is unsafe. Regarless of whether that person is in violation of the speed limit it is unsafe. Prius owners are so gas concious you won't even accelerate to match speed for safety. you guys are wreckless drivers whether you admit it or not. Face it!!!

8. priusH8R

priusH8R New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Mar 1 2007, 06:17 PM) [snapback]398820[/snapback]</div>
    You are right I have a thing against prius drivers thats why I am here silly. Go ahead call me a troll. Namecalling that is real mature of you. I just think if it is that much of a finacial and environmental issue you should use public transportation. Read the dmv handbook and maybe then you will realize that Jerkwad behind you today is not the only Jerkwad. Slower traffic must pull to the right regardless if the person behind you chooses to break the speed limit. Look it up! you are just as much of a Jerkwad. Wow, and there was a lane to your right. Jerkwad!

9. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(livelychick @ Mar 1 2007, 10:46 PM) [snapback]398863[/snapback]</div>
    This is true. If you're in the passing lane, actually passing cars and someone behind you gets upset you're not passing them fast enough, if they're not familiar with the basic law of physics that states two pieces of matter cannot occupy the same location at the same time (ie, you can't get in the right-hand lane because there's a car there), that's their problem.

10. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Mar 1 2007, 11:54 PM) [snapback]398890[/snapback]</div>
    They're obviously Quantum drivers. Newtonian physics don't apply to them. :)

11. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    PriusH8R AKA Frank with the V6 in LA.

I think you missunderstood my point. For one thing, here in Washington, we don't have 8 to 15 lanes going in each direction with drivers going between 50 and 90 mph. Here, we have only two lanes each way with drivers going between 50 and 75.

All I was saying is that when the right of two lanes is filled with a line of cars going 5 -10 mph under the speed limit (50 mph), each spaced apart just enough for one car to squeeze in between them, and I am goind 5 mph over the speed limit, passing car after car (65 mph), I don't feel I have a responsibility to move over and slow down by 15 mph so that someone who wants to speed more than I do can get by.

Almost every time I have moved to the right to be nice, the slow cars in the right lane slow down even more, and the line of fast drivers in the left lane who are also spaced in a tight line slow down too and won't let me get back over. If they do pass reasonably fast and I am able to get in behind them, they suddenly I discover they are going 5 mph slower than I was before they zoomed up behind me.

If the line of cars in the right lane gets up close to the speed limit, I will speed up enough to continue passing them at a resonalble rate of 10 mph faster than they are going so I am in compliance with your CA law, continuing to pass car after car. We have the same law in WA, but the road are full enough that you can stay in the left lane without worrying about gettin caught not passing anyone.

I just got the Prius 1 month ago, but this has been a pet peave of mine for several yearsof driving my other V6 cars and the V6 Accord I recently sold. So it is not a Prius thing at all.

12. opus17

opus17 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The tailgater is always wrong, no matter what the driver in front is doing. Tailgating is reckless driving. Tailgaters should be arrested, they are endangering people's lives because they are in a hurry.

13. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If I'm in the left lane and someone wants to go faster than I'm going (this is both pre- and post-Prius purchase), I let them. It saves me from buying a radar detector. :)

14. rockefella

rockefella Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ichabod,

Did it ever occur to you the guy might be in a legitimate hurry and you're the "jerkwad" for not letting him get by you in the LEFT LANE?

Sorry, but your attitude is genuinely disgusting to me. It wouldn't have been all that hard for you to switch to the right, slow down momentarily to let the guy past and then resume the left lane. But I guess you just had to be a jerk and make your point to the Audi. Geez, a little consideration, just the wee bit of sacrifice, and everyone would've been better off.

I spend 90% of my time in the far right lane, so I'm not typically doing the tailgating on my drives. I just try to be considerate to the speed demons out there who may or may not have a good reason to be driving like bats out of hell.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Mar 1 2007, 06:17 PM) [snapback]398820[/snapback]</div>

15. rockefella

rockefella Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Great, so instead of getting out of the tailgaters way, you perpetuate a hazardous situation in order to make your moral point to the tailgater that he is Wrong.

How about this? If someone is tailgating you, GET OUT OF THE WAY. Yes, he may be an a-hole, but your passive-aggressive behavior doesn't make you one bit better.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(opus17 @ Mar 1 2007, 09:01 PM) [snapback]398900[/snapback]</div>

16. rockefella

rockefella Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm glad I found this thread. It truly confirms that those people who like to block traffic in the left lane truly are the inconsiderate pricks I suspected they were.

Let me ask you left lane blockers this: let's suppose you're going 20 mph over the limit and some "jerk" in an Audi comes up behind going even faster - he's flashing his lights, honking his horn. You get pissed because in your mind all tailgaters are by definition jerkwads so you just decide to block him just to piss him off and, hell, admit it, you enjoy having the upperhand.

Now imagine the person in the Audi (1) has a loved one in the hospital who's about to pass away and he's trying to get there before it's too late, (2) his wife is in the backseat getting ready to give birth, (3) he's late to a meeting because his son woke up with a fever and now he's trying to get there because his job is on the bubble, (4) he's behind schedule and has a flight to catch, AND SO ON.

Ok, You're the Jerkwad, congrats.

Now let's consider, the tailgater in the Audi is a plain a-hole. He also happens to be (1) borderline psychotic, (2) hopped up on cocaine, (3) has a loaded gun in the passenger seat, (4) suicidal, (5) gangbanger driving a stolen car, AND SO ON.

So this time he's the Jerkwad. Congrats, you've made your moral point to him. You've also more than likely pissed him off. Enjoy as the psycho goes "road rage" on you and shoots you, runs you off the road, plays chicken with you, or basically threatens your life.

Conclusion: the smart money says you should pull over and let him by.

17. priusH8R

priusH8R New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoMoShocks @ Mar 1 2007, 08:58 PM) [snapback]398895[/snapback]</div>
    I totally understand your frustration with your scenario.

Just seems like out here if someone is driving too slow in front of me they are like 90 years old or in a hybrid. seriously though.

One of the other things that gets on my nerves (has nothing to do with prius drivers by the way) is when you are in traffic at a red lite and someone want's to pull out of a driveway so you are polite and allow them but they have to block you and the other lane of traffic when the lite turns green to get over to the left turn lane wich they have to cross a solid white line to do. So there are like 100,000 people that have to wait through an extra lite just because this jerk could'nt go to the next street and make a u-turn or go around the block. I don't have the nerve to do something like that and just sit there in front of the nice person who just let me in until the left turn lane starts moving at the end of the lite cycle. selfish people. classic give an inch take a mile.

Take care.

18. zqfmbg

zqfmbg New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusH8R @ Mar 1 2007, 08:29 PM) [snapback]398875[/snapback]</div>
    Please reread what I wrote. I said "unless you are being cut off". To me, forcing someone behind you to hit the brakes in order to avoid hitting you is cutting them off.

As for being a "wreckless" driver -- thanks, I indeed am one; haven't totalled anything yet. (And more seriously, I can't speak for all the rest, but I can say I do in fact do what I say others should do. You'll find me in the rightmost continuous lane on freeways. I'm otherwise not saying anything about the generalization.)

19. priusH8R

priusH8R New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rockefella @ Mar 1 2007, 10:13 PM) [snapback]398919[/snapback]</div>
    Thank you! Thank you! I so agree! Exactly! Take care!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rockefella @ Mar 1 2007, 10:02 PM) [snapback]398916[/snapback]</div>
    Thank you! and everyone else that has the sense to agree. Take care.

20. priusH8R

priusH8R New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zqfmbg @ Mar 1 2007, 10:43 PM) [snapback]398930[/snapback]</div>
    To me being cut off includes when someone pulls in front of me at a slower rate of speed and I thought that is what you were implying when you said "wait an extra tenth of a second". Sorry if I got a little rude. I am just asking that slower traffic stay to the right and if you are gonna pull out in front of someone they shouldn't have to hit they're brakes. If you did it to a cop you would get pulled over. B.T.W. thanks for staying to the right. Take care.

Just wanted to thank everyone for posting and discussing this issue. It has been very therapeutic for me. I think I will spend the money i saved by not having to visit the shrink on gas. hehe. unfortunately, I don't think this thread will have an effect on my commute. thanks everyone. take care.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.