1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anti-Prius Motorists

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by monsoon_xvi, Feb 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. opus17

opus17 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rockefella @ Mar 2 2007, 01:02 AM) [snapback]398916[/snapback]</div>

You putting words in my mouth. I don't block traffic, I'm generally in the right lane. Someone blocking traffic in the left lane is wrong -- it is just that the tailgater is MORE wrong. (And there is plenty of tailgating in the right lane, too).

By the way, just because there is a law about "pass left", there are also speeding laws. Drivers should obey ALL traffic laws, not just the ones they like.

2. Ian MacDonald

Ian MacDonald Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    For the sake of argument, let's say that the aggressive driver is cut off by a 'big rig' that changes lanes to pass a slower vehicle a little too suddenly. Does the aggressive driver get all bent out of shape that he was cut off and attempt to tailgate and intimidate the truck driver in this case?

My guess is that it's anonymity that makes people believe that they can act so callously. That and the lack of law enforcement on our freeways. Do you often see such things in line at the bank/ATM or grocery store when you have to deal with people face to face? In these situations we rarely need the presence of a police officer to get folks to act with civility.

For myself, I usually stay in the right lane with the trucks. Their speed is usually a little slower than everyone else and more consistent. Plus it's very rare to have someone tailgate you when there is a truck in front going the same speed.

Cheers,

-- Ian

3. Balt

Balt Junior Member

@priush8r:

You're a funny chap. In a bizarre kind of way. I do wonder, why do you hate hybrids? Are you indifferent in a similar kind of way with other things in life? People from all walks of life drive hybrids, each for their own reasons. It's like saying you hate dogs and then participate in a dog forum. You must have too much time on your hands (or haven't found a V6 forum yet).

Maybe you're just jealous? jealous of the low operating cost of the prius, or the fact that any prius will knock the pants off your V6 when taking off from a red light, or the fact that some people enjoy the choice of driving efficiently versus driving sportily? I get to do both of the latter in my Prius, you only get get to drive sportily, and when you try to drive efficiently your V6 sucks...

Gosh... get a life, or better yet, get a Prius!

Cheers

- Balt

4. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mondie @ Feb 27 2007, 06:08 PM) [snapback]397496[/snapback]</div>
    I have not had any road rage directed at me, but I've had quite a few morons ride my tail when I'm going the speed limit. I reside in West Palm Beach, FL

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Electric Mayhem @ Feb 27 2007, 10:23 PM) [snapback]397611[/snapback]</div>
    If your "cloaked" does that mean you can't arm your forward phaser banks?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(steve in Arizona @ Mar 1 2007, 10:34 PM) [snapback]398857[/snapback]</div>
    FL speed laws state that you may NOT exceed the posted speed when passing another vehicle. I know, I got stopped for going 6 MPH over the limit while passing a slower car. The cop was cool and let me off.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusH8R @ Mar 1 2007, 11:41 PM) [snapback]398883[/snapback]</div>
    Why are you on this forum if you don't own or like Prius's? What do you drive?

5. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ian MacDonald @ Mar 2 2007, 03:32 AM) [snapback]398963[/snapback]</div>
    That's exactly why everyone's license plate number should be their cell number; hell, most of them have it up to their ear already... :)

6. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    He's here posting as PriusH8R and also as Rockafella to agree with himself because he honestly believes that people who drive a Prius think they're better somehow.

Personally I don't think I'm better than some other driver just on the type of car I drive. When I ride my bike, I certainly do feel superior though :)

And I'm going against my own advice by feeding the troll more, but as I described in my little story, I was speeding significantly, with slow traffic to my right, on a dangerously curvy road, so even if I wanted to get to the right, which I did, I couldn't do it immediately. I did pull to the right within about 10 seconds of the guy pulling up on my bumper from at least 25mph over the limit, but those were a tense few seconds, and no amount of hurry on the other driver's part is worth endangering his own life, my life, and the lives of other nearby drivers.

7. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Mar 2 2007, 08:20 AM) [snapback]399028[/snapback]</div>
    Because of this, I get very skeptical of naysayers with less than 20-30 posts - sorry.

I've noticed a lot of trollers talking to themselves the past couple of months. ;)

The Smug Alert episode has been overdone and some of those that do it are trying to draw attention from the fact they are poseurs.

8. rockefella

rockefella Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    First, sorry to disappoint, but I'm not a troll or a fraudulent account. I have no idea how to convince you of that, short of both priush8tr and I both disclosing our private personal information. I'm not about to do that.

Second, no one disagrees that the tailgaters are out and out jerks. I can't stand them either - I find them just as obnoxious and as much of a hazard to other drivers as everyone else here. BUT I think it's interesting that you have a policy against "feeding the trolls". I take that as an indication that you generally avoid controversy- and fight-baiters. Well, why not apply the same principle toward tailgaters? Treat them as trolls by refusing to engage. You will NOT modify their behavior, teach them a lesson, change their ways, etc. by blocking them (and I'm not saying that you personally did - I have no idea what you did since I wasn't there).

Just get out of their way and let them kill themselves at the next hairpin curve. Don't block them and endanger the lives of yourself, your passengers and other drivers around them by blocking them and potentially escalating the situation.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Mar 2 2007, 06:20 AM) [snapback]399028[/snapback]</div>

When you're on the road and there's no police around, the issue isn't legality. Practicality and safety should be controlling. In a confrontation between a blocker and a tailgater, the tailgater may very well be more in the "wrong" than the blocker. But so what. It takes two to tango. Both blocker and tailgater are jointly creating a hazardous situation on the road.

Be the bigger person and let the a-hole tailgater go by. The people driving around you (and your passengers, and your family) will thank you for it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(opus17 @ Mar 2 2007, 12:04 AM) [snapback]398960[/snapback]</div>

9. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusH8R @ Mar 1 2007, 11:29 PM) [snapback]398875[/snapback]</div>
    No and No

I don't know if anyone has ever traveled I395 Northbound in DC approaching the 14th Street Bridge.

There's a left exit onto the GW Parkway Northbound that is one of the worst exits you'll ever see. It's a descending (about 60 feet in 100 yards), reverse camber, narrow, small radius curve. If you take it at over 25 mph you'll be in the river.

Now, while I won't jam in front of anyone and slam on the brakes, I will move into the lane in advance of the exit, put on my left turn signal, and slow at a reasonable rate to a safe exit speed. That's the only sane thing to do. If you've decided that because you are in the 'fast' lane I have any responsibility at all to go faster than safe, forget it.

In this area there are lots of left exits, and even merges from ramps into the left lane.

It's YOUR responsibility to drive safely, and know your surroundings, and if someone else is merging into or exiting from your lane, deal with it. If you expect them to stop or miss their exit because you want to go 90 in a 55 zone, tough.

That really doesn't say anything about the other drivers but does speak volumes about you and your sense of entitlement.

10. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :) Hi rockefella

I second your comments and opinion. It's illogical to lable a thread as "TROLL" simply because it's an active and popular subject.

With road rage an issue and no way to determine whether a "tailgater" is armed, it's far too risky to antagonize another driver to "prove a point." Best to consider your own safety and try to stay out of the way. I do get amused when driving in the city, someone RUSHES past me only to be awaiting me at the next traffic signal - they actually gained 6, even 8 seconds and were priviledged to wait at the stop light longer than I.

11. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There is no policy - just lot of members that have seen this numerous times and don't suffer fools gladly.

There are some members that occasonally take an opposing point of view. This is opposed to joining with the sole intent to rain on the party.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rockefella @ Mar 2 2007, 11:30 AM) [snapback]399123[/snapback]</div>

12. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ Mar 2 2007, 12:35 PM) [snapback]399130[/snapback]</div>
    I don't think anyone labeled the THREAD as a troll, just the V6 guy; then someone suggested V6 man and Rockafella were one and the same - I don't think so, their syntax seems diffrerent, as well as general attitude; don't know, or particularly care.

I think the assumption V6 was a troll was understandable (true? I'll leave that to the moderators), being that his first post on this thread started off, "Finally a place to vent.", he's not a Prius owner (doesn't need to be to join in, but it's just yet another red flag), clumps us all together into one entity with the "you guys" references, etc.

Do Not Feed.

13. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Actually, Rockafella, I was pretty sure that you two were different people, but your similar comments and harsh judgment of me and my little bit of venting about a dangerously aggressive driver mad me mad, so I lumped the two of you together into one anonymous object of my frustration. I do still think Frank is a troll though ;)

And yes, I got out of the way just as quickly as I could. The point of my story was not "I got in front of some guy to slow him down," it was "some guy tried to run me off the road in spite of literally no possible way for me to safely get out of his way in the amount of time that he expected me to."

So, in summary, I think most of us actually agree: the dangerous and aggressive drivers should be left to their own devices. Let them by for sure. I think most of us have seen enough of those helicopter police chase videos where some innocent motorist gets t-boned out of the blue by an obviously insane driver. You never know if the crazy ones will get you next!

14. quagmire0

quagmire0 New Member

My general rule of thumb is to go with the flow of traffic. If the roads are clear and no one is around, I'm going to go 5+ over in residential and probably 15+ over on the highway.

On a highway, it's pretty simple, but people don't follow the unwritten rules. If it's a three or more lane highway, people driving the limit or less should stay right. The left lane should be more of a passing lane than a driving lane. By passing lane I mean that if you are in the left lane and see someone coming up on you, it's best to move to let them pass. The stubborn people that box people in and refuse to move are the ones that end up causing accidents.

Just for the record, I'm not an overly aggressive driver. I'm more the type to be in the left lane and get out of the way if someone wants to go faster, then pop back into the lane when it is clear.

15. opus17

opus17 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rockefella @ Mar 2 2007, 12:30 PM) [snapback]399123[/snapback]</div>
    How do you "get out of the way" if you are in the right lane? How do you "get out of the way" if the car in front of you is slow (or slower than the criminal behind you wants to go?).

16. maj@foxvalley.net

[email protected] New Member

We live about 45 miles west-northwest of Chicago. We had an incident a couple years ago.

I had just gotten my 2005 Prius a few days earlier, and my wife were heading home after dinner at Olive Garden.

An old "beater" car came up behind us out of nowhere, and started tailgating us and flashing it's headlights. We were driving slightly over the 50mph speed limit on the four lane road so I wasn't keeping them from passing us. As they passed me, the driver agressively blew the horn and the female passenger hung halfway out her window, yelling as she had a finger extended in my direction as they sped past me! :eek:

Somehow, this nice young lady was confused as to what is the correct finger to use to signal me that I was #1 with them because I had bought a Prius! Being that it was the middle of winter, I did not lower my window, but it did not sound like she was yelling "Woo Hoo!!", either.

It dawned on me what probably miffed them - They probably saw the display, and thought we were toolin' down the road watching TV. They were jealous, I guess.

Other than that one time, I have not had any other incidents like that.

17. priusH8R

priusH8R New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Balt @ Mar 2 2007, 01:12 AM) [snapback]398967[/snapback]</div>

Thanks dude. I am glad you find me funny. I like making people laugh. I love all animals and people but I do understand your comparrison. I do not hate anyone despite my screen name. I chose it in frustration and anger. Like I stated in my earlier posts I have no desire to own a prius. I have a 2007 Nitro with a sticker of $27,140. So when I was shopping for an automobile last november I would have purchased one if I wanted. I said in earlier posts that someone would accuse me of this. If I owned one though, I would drive like the general public does. Not like most of you hybrid people do. I think the hybrid is a great idea and in a way I am proud of all of you for being pioneers. But can you people make a better effort to drive normally and not like you have only 1 drop of gas left in your tank. I would love to see someone in a hybrid smoke me at a lite. Once I saw a guy in a honda insight take off at a lite like a bat out of hell. He was my favorite hybrid driver ever. But back to the point. It just seems like the majority of hybrid owners drive like they have something stuck under the accelerator pedal(cobwebs maybe?). I came to this forum to give you guys some feedback about how the general public feels. I wish that you guys would stop being so defensive and understand my point and frustration. Thankfully for you guys I am not a phsyco and I came here to vent because we do not have our cel # on our liscence plates. You guys should worry about the crazy people who are using they're spare time at target practice and drive around with a gun instead of coming here and venting. I am so annoyed at the way you guys drive that I took my time to come here and give you guys an outside view of your bad driving habits to let you know why people get frustrated being behind you or cut off by you. But you guys think we are just jealous because you get better gas mileage. Forget about the gas mileage already. I would have a hybrid if I cared. This is about the way the majority of you drive not about your gas mileage. Get over it. wake up and smell the coffee. Geeeeeeeeeeeeeez!!!!!!!!

18. priusH8R

priusH8R New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Walker1 @ Mar 2 2007, 03:18 AM) [snapback]398976[/snapback]</div>
    I am here to let you know how the guy behind you in the fast lane or the guy you just cut off feels. Like I said before I came to vent. Are you that sheltered that you can not take some constructive criticism from the other side of the thread topic? I mean you guys are like "I drive slow in my prius and cut people off and I can't understand why I get the finger and tailgated. Anyone else have this problem?". Duh!!! I am here to let you guys know why people get annoyed at you. That is what the thread topic is about and that is why I am here. Obviously you guys need an outside opinion because you guys are so far off thinking it is out of jealousy of your gas mileage or that you guys get to use the HOV lane. I am sure that there are some jealous people out there but I am not one of them. I don't care about either. It is the way the majority of you guys drive that bothers me. I have a 2007 Dodge Nitro.

19. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusH8R @ Mar 2 2007, 02:54 PM) [snapback]399220[/snapback]</div>
    This is just an informational post on the capabilities of a Honda Insight. While it has speed, it's not wise to pretend it's a sports car often if you desire a happy long life in it. Yes, it has suprizing acceleration at lower speeds. It can also go to 113mph - did it myself.

Heavy foot + high-geared 5-speed + small battery pack = early battery pack death.

Schwartznegger had the physique for a body builder - Lance Armstrong had the body for endurance. The two could not swap well - different bodies. The Insight is all about maximum fuel economy.

If you want to see what happened to someone that drove their Insight hard all them time, check out www.hondasucks.ca It equates to a Prius with 30mpg lifetime and $20,000 of repairs. :blink:

/end information post

To the PC Staff: what is below was a new post - why does it end up in my previous post? :(

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusH8R @ Mar 2 2007, 03:11 PM) [snapback]399236[/snapback]</div>
    A lot of us folks (including me) make sure you faster guys get by.

Just pass and go about your business and keep your cool.

And for those that do, also pass on venting at hybrids that yielded just because they are hybrids.

20. rockefella

rockefella Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ichabod, my apologies to you for inadvertently targeting you. I suppose I was venting too. Dealing with the crazy drivers in LA can make a person a little nutso.

I've seen dueling drivers on the road nearly killing themselves and everyone around them just one too many times. With my wife and children in my Prius with me (and while I love the Prius, it doesn't exactly impart the same sense of safety that a big American car or a Volvo does), I really take issue with the people who "feed the trolls" on the roads and endanger us all.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Mar 2 2007, 10:44 AM) [snapback]399159[/snapback]</div>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.